Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The correct way to grip the gun

Cy Soto

I have seen people at the range using both of these grips (No. 1 & No. 2 for different guns) and I don’t know if there is an advantage to using one over another. I find myself using both of these (depending on the gun I am shooting).

Any time I get a chance to shoot the 1911 (it’s my wife’s gun and she doesn’t let me borrow it often) I use the No. 1 grip. But if I try using this same grip (Glock pic no. 1) with the Glock, I sometimes inadvertently hit the magazine release button and drop the mag. For this reason I end up gripping the gun as shown in Glock Pic No. 2.

The main benefit I see to using grip no. 2 is that there is more of the weak hand making contact with the frame of the gun. I don’t believe that the gun is traveling any more or any less during recoil (up travel and back to target). This is to say that it takes me the same amount of time to recover for follow up shots and my splits are fairly good and consistent (IMO).

1) Am I doing myself a disfavor by gripping the Glock as shown in pic 2?

2) Would I gain anything from switching my grip to the No. 1 grip?

3) Is there any other grip that I should consider that would offer an advantage over the ones shown here?

3b) If the answer is yes, a picture of this grip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

S04.jpgG04.jpg

Which ever grip that works for you is best. One way might be good for shooter A but not for shooter B and vice versa. Find what you like and stick with it. Overall your grip looks pretty good.

Edited by yoshidaex

for some reason i am not comfortable with the both thumbs forward, i can do one thumb forward and one 180 the other way (ie back) the thumb tips touch the rear thumb joint/knuckle closest to the web. at 25 yards im still hitting NRA target orange, but everyone keeps yelling at me to do both thumbs forward, but its not comfortable. im a lefty if it matters any.

<_< I think if you look at #1 your left hand is "ON" more of the gun. and the wrist are set up better to work as a pair for the sight to come back to the same place.

But I havent shot much iron sights in the past, few years

I :unsure: think #2 will cause the gun to roll to the left in recoil. Recoil is good, don't try to fight with it

In theory at least, grip #2 should control muzzle flip better. It isn't a question of "fighting" the muzzle flip, but the cammed forward left hand would naturally act to bring the front sight back down quicker. If you can get a copy of Matt Burkett's DVD's this exactly what he teaches, and I've seen many good shooters holding the gun this way.

I ususally attempt to obtain grip number 2, this allows the most left hand contact. Personally overgripping with the right hand is my number one issue, causes me to trigger freeze and pull second shots. That being said everybody has different preferences and results. Try Matt Burketts timing drills to find the grip that works best for you.

Burkett doesn't teach grip #2.

Cammed grip...yes.

What grip #2 lacks is an index point when bringing the weak hand onto the gun.

I'd be intersted in how you are hitting the mag release, as I can't seem to make that happen wih my grip.

Burkett doesn't teach grip #2.

Cammed grip...yes.

What grip #2 lacks is an index point when bringing the weak hand onto the gun.

I'd be intersted in how you are hitting the mag release, as I can't seem to make that happen wih my grip.

Not the grip, just the timing drills......they can be revealing

Not the grip, just the timing drills......they can be revealing

+1 on the timing drills.

I learned Burkett's timing drills in a class with Matt about 6 months ago. I'd read about the drills, but didn't really understand what he was talking about. He describes them in his Vol 1-3 video -- watching them is better than reading (I thought). Doing the drills in class at least got the shots reliably on cardboard at 15 yards.

Went back to do the drills again, many days in a row, about 2 months ago, after I'd practiced a lot more, something didn't 'feel right' and I was getting too many hits to the left. Adjusted the grip based on that, group accuracy improved.

Did a couple of sessions with the drills again just this week, for the same reason. I'll probably be back to them again next week -- new spring & fitted match barrel in the gun, I suspect it'll handle differently.

Morals of a long-winded story --

1. Timing drills don't have to be a one-time thing. I've found them helpful as my skill level evolves and as any changes are made to the gun.

2. Grip isn't just hand position. Hands-on-the-gun is the endpoint. I'm finding that the functional grip involves all parts of the upper extremities, trunk, head position (*&@# bifocals!) and breathing.

How does it work for YOU? Where does the bullet hit vs. where you think it should hit? How does the recoil feel and where are the sights at the end of recoil? All the posts above have given good advice. Take it, try it, see what's most functional for you.

@Flexmoney

what do you exactly mean by "What grip #2 lacks is an index point when bringing the weak hand onto the gun."?

I also use grip #2 and when bringing my left hand onto the gun I pinch my index finger under the trigger guard and from then on simply rotate my wrist to form the grip.

Thanks in advance,

Marijan

the grip you have in #2 and the "index point" =look at how your right thumb lays over the left in #1. It is just at the back of the first joint. = You could still roll the left hand AND keep the left thumb like it is in #1 photo with the first joint under the nail of the right. ....THIS keeps the wrist closer to the same pivot point giving you a consistent recoil pattern.

But I shoot a TOY gun mostly so what do I know about competing in limited class. B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

@Flexmoney

what do you exactly mean by "What grip #2 lacks is an index point when bringing the weak hand onto the gun."?

I also use grip #2 and when bringing my left hand onto the gun I pinch my index finger under the trigger guard and from then on simply rotate my wrist to form the grip.

Thanks in advance,

Marijan

I bring the weak hand onto the gun in a similar manner. Here, in pic #2, it looks like the index finger is further forward on the trigger guard.

Do you think it would be possible to maintain the grip pictured in #1 but simply raise the gun a little higher, which will automatically cause a greater camming motion to the wrist (you would then need to lean a little more forward at the waist)? Not sure if that makes sense....

Do you think it would be possible to maintain the grip pictured in #1 but simply raise the gun a little higher, which will automatically cause a greater camming motion to the wrist (you would then need to lean a little more forward at the waist)? Not sure if that makes sense....

How about pointing the elbow at the ground 45 deg out from center line to the left

I bring the weak hand onto the gun in a similar manner. Here, in pic #2, it looks like the index finger is further forward on the trigger guard.

Flexmoney,

thanks for the clarification.

Best regards,

Marijan

• 1 month later...

I would say a combination of both. I would have my hand position about the same as in #1 but the weak hand needs to be cammed in there like #2. I don't like having my weakhand fingers that far out on the trigger guard but I have to have my hand cammed in there. If I don't have both I get inconsistent recoil control because it feels like my grip is weak on the gun.

Flyin

Right or wrong this is how I do it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=687499

I works well for me- if I cant my wrist too much like #2 I tend to hit the mag release, even with no paddle or extension. That is probably 'cause I tend to sqeeze my grip quite a bit more with my left hand and relax my right hand. Especially when I am really hosin'! :D

• 7 months later...
Right or wrong this is how I do it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=687499

I works well for me- if I cant my wrist too much like #2 I tend to hit the mag release, even with no paddle or extension. That is probably 'cause I tend to sqeeze my grip quite a bit more with my left hand and relax my right hand. Especially when I am really hosin'! :D

Thanks for the pics. For all the BIG guns out there, newbies need pickers to "s h o w" how to place a hand or finger

or eyes. They help a bunch. So thank you very much for the pictures on how to grip a pistol.