Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Single Stack Magwell's etc...

zhunter

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is little to no disadvantage to a S&A magwell.

as a magwell, no not really. As a grip enhancer, yeah I think the SVI/Techwells do help with that. I have rubbed the blue off my steel SVI magwell on my IDPA eagle in one area just because it pushes my hand up and forces a better grip, the ice does that even better but doesn't fit the box.

as a magwell, no not really. As a grip enhancer, yeah I think the SVI/Techwells do help with that. I have rubbed the blue off my steel SVI magwell on my IDPA eagle in one area just because it pushes my hand up and forces a better grip, the ice does that even better but doesn't fit the box.

I don't have trouble with a proper grip. There's at least 3/8" between the bottom of my hand and the bottom of the frontstrap.

Hello: The SVI biggest advantage is the grip indexing as stated above. As for being better than the S&A to feed the mag in, I would say they are the same. Both magwells need blending and if done right both are very fast. Personally I did not like the SVI magwell since it pushed my palm away from the grip. I have large hands and like the single stack grip with the S&A magwell better. The checkering on the bottom of the S&A helps me grip the pistol better as well. I was thinking of adding grip tape to the SVI magwell but just went with another S&A magwell. I do think practice does more than people think in feeding the Single Stacks quickly. Thanks, Eric

I don't have trouble with a proper grip. There's at least 3/8" between the bottom of my hand and the bottom of the frontstrap.

I was talking about MY grip. I'm glad you have a perfect grip it has taken you to GM in almost everything. My STRONG hand is probably 3/8s high or higher on the front strap but my strong hand is not what gets support from the magwell on the frontstrap its my weak hand pinkie finger. It also helps with my strong hands palm on the bottom right of the mainspring housing, that is where I've rubbed the blue off my magwell on my eagle.

And they also get your pistol wedged in the IDPA box, when the box is used a part of the course of fire. Trust me, you look pretty silly almost pointing the box at an array of targets. Ask me how I know.. :roflol:

Not if you fit it to have pleanty of wiggle room BEFORE you use it in the match. Most of that is mag basepads or it was with my setup.

Edited by steel1212

ZHUNTER, very good thread!

I ran nothing but the old, Clark speed chutes on my single stacks, and wasn't going to spend the money to change them all to something else, but, as you stated, the SVs and the Techwell do improve getting a good grip, for us non-GM shooters. I ended up buying one of each to try, but, I really don't care for the feel of the alumigrips, so, I think I'll sell the Techwell.

IF the SV or Techwell does not help you with your grip index on the draw, the use the S&A, in my opinion one of them really help with SS reloads.

I did not know that until I bought them and tried them out, SS reloads are all about practice, and getting them lined up, the magwell is NOT going to help poor technique

Matt - Do you mean as opposed to other magwells, or as opposed to beveling the opening on the gun itself?

No disadvantage to the S&A over the techwell/SVI/etc.

I'm not sure how or why you guys keep coming up with this, but it's simply not true.

A larger magwell (i.e. Techwell or SV) will absolutely, positively, 100% of the time give you more margin of error to take a reload that was a bit off and make it nearly as good as a perfect reload....and certainly good enough to keep from totally trashing a stage.

None of that means SS shooters shouldn't practice the H@ll out of reloads, but no matter what, even the very best sometimes miss a reload (we all recall the pic in Front Sight of TGO totally blowing a SS or L-10 reload last year).

A larger magwell won't help on a perfect reload, it won't help on one that's nearly perfect since any decent magwell will save those, but it's when you miss one just "that" much more where the big magwells save your bacon and keep it from being a disaster.

If people don't like the way they look, don't like the way they feel, don't think they're keeping with tradition....all that's fine and good, but it doesn't change the fact that a bigger magwell offers a bigger margin of error.

When I put my Techwell next to an S&A, there's enough room in the Techwell that you could hit the outer part of the funnel just enough to make the reload where it would be on the flat part of the bottom of the S&A....which would be a 100% blown reload.

Even if it only saves a reload for me a couple of times a year it's worth it to have that extra margin of error.

Actually, I encourage everyone shooting SS to stick with no magwell at all, just do a little blending and call it good...no sense in offering help to the competition right? :devil:

Edited by G-ManBart

Matt - Do you mean as opposed to other magwells, or as opposed to beveling the opening on the gun itself?

No disadvantage to the S&A over the techwell/SVI/etc.

I'm not sure how or why you guys keep coming up with this, but it's simply not true.

A larger magwell (i.e. Techwell or SV) will absolutely, positively, 100% of the time give you more margin of error to take a reload that was a bit off and make it nearly as good as a perfect reload....and certainly good enough to keep from totally trashing a stage.

None of that means SS shooters shouldn't practice the H@ll out of reloads, but no matter what, even the very best sometimes miss a reload (we all recall the pic in Front Sight of TGO totally blowing a SS or L-10 reload last year).

A larger magwell won't help on a perfect reload, it won't help on one that's nearly perfect since any decent magwell will save those, but it's when you miss one just "that" much more where the big magwells save your bacon and keep it from being a disaster.

If people don't like the way they look, don't like the way they feel, don't think they're keeping with tradition....all that's fine and good, but it doesn't change the fact that a bigger magwell offers a bigger margin of error.

:cheers:

Whatever you feel is best is wonderful and great and that is the product you should use.

When I was a kid we used the hoop off the top of a washing machine for a basketball goal/rim. Sure seemed to me it was easier to hit than a standard sized one.... :closedeyes:

I will agree with that G-man. I amend my statement to "I think that for Myself, a S&A is not slowing me down compared to a SVI/Techwell".

I can't throw the mag at the gun like with my ICE & limited gun, so the larger well doesn't really help. If the mag isn't lined up and going in the gun, having the larger magwell might catch the top of the mag, but it's still not going in smooth. I'm better off being more deliberate and getting the mag in there on the first try. I also do not like the way the SVI/Techwell push on my hand.

Well... Merlin and Z use an SVI...! :cheers:

You think if I traded it for a S&A I could shoot like TGO or TJ or Matt Cheely?

Maybe a GM has a different and more developed skillset and therefore does not benefit as much as us mere mortals from that little extra margin for error...?

:D

I will agree with that G-man. I amend my statement to "I think that for Myself, a S&A is not slowing me down compared to a SVI/Techwell".

I can't throw the mag at the gun like with my ICE & limited gun, so the larger well doesn't really help. If the mag isn't lined up and going in the gun, having the larger magwell might catch the top of the mag, but it's still not going in smooth. I'm better off being more deliberate and getting the mag in there on the first try. I also do not like the way the SVI/Techwell push on my hand.

Yeah, if someone doesn't like the way if feels (like it pushing on your hand) that's enough reason to go with something else...if the gun doesn't feel right, nay perfect, in your hand, it's not the way it should be.

I'd also be willing to bet that your "deliberate" reload is faster than most folks "fast" reloads, so you're likely in a position to be more flexible in what you use.....and I'd suspect a little bit calmer under pressure than the average D,C,B,A shooter so you're less likely to rush and blow one when it really counts.

I know that I try to approach SS as nearly Virginia count shooting with tons of practice on perfect reloads...there just isn't any way you can shoot or reload sloppy and do well.

Last I knew (early this year) TGO was using a Techwell that he'd opened up the front on (I'm guessing to enable stripping out a mag easier if necessary)...looked a little odd, but seemed to work fine. Hopefully he'll shoot the WSSSC again and we can get an update. R,