Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Single Stack Magwell's etc...

zhunter

I've been using the Carmoney tactical magwell in my single stack since he introduced it in 2007. With a little TLC delivered with my rubber mallet it fits the SSD box, no problem.

Excelletn product, Mike! Thanks!

:lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Ok, I have the NEW Dawson ICE for 1911's, and I like it.

I do think it loads better than the SV, no question! It indexes (Grip and Reload) well, but certainly not better than the SV

I DO NOT like the gap at the front (see photo), but I can get over that because of the increased functionality.

DSC_0037.jpg

Here is the profile view

DSC_0035.jpg

I think Dawson has a winner here.

I agree, installed the DI a couple weeks ago and I like it quite well. You gotta have mags with enough pad though. CMC 8 round are just flush.

I guess they have to leave the gap in there because there are a lot of mags that fill that space. A stock Colt flat bottom mag has the lip in front and it slides right in the gap.

I agree, installed the DI a couple weeks ago and I like it quite well. You gotta have mags with enough pad though. CMC 8 round are just flush.

I guess they have to leave the gap in there because there are a lot of mags that fill that space. A stock Colt flat bottom mag has the lip in front and it slides right in the gap.

With all due respect, how many of US might be using a "stock colt flat bottom mag" in the first place?

I think this is the only flaw in an otherwise VERY good magwell, but it is only a cosmetic thing.

How do Wilson ETMs fit in the Dawson magwell? I am considering getting a Dawson, but I have to much money invested in ETMs to switch mags.

To be honest, I love the Wilson ETM's, but due to their "short basepad", I relegated those for carry purposes as they require too much effort to seat properly in a match situation.

I would suggest Wilson 47DE type basepads for either the SV or the Dawson magwells

With all due respect, how many of US might be using a "stock colt flat bottom mag" in the first place?

I think this is the only flaw in an otherwise VERY good magwell, but it is only a cosmetic thing.

I definitely agree on the old flat bottom mags, except I do have an old Wilson 7 shot that I have used for a Barney mag for a long time. I may stop using that now because it really is hard to seat.

The CMC 8 round mags also fill that little gap but, the CMC 10 round mags don't. I'm guessing no gap would eliminate a lot of mags. This picture is a little blurry but you can see the CMC base pad right up there in the gap.

post-20453-1253727211_thumb.jpg

The CMC 8 round mags also fill that little gap but, the CMC 10 round mags don't. I'm guessing no gap would eliminate a lot of mags. This picture is a little blurry but you can see the CMC base pad right up there in the gap.

post-20453-1253727211_thumb.jpg

I would invest in a Dremel Tool!!! Grind that thingy down

Went from an S&A magwell to the SV in May of this year.

Way easier reloads! I like the look, the weight and the faster reload.

Nicely machined and functional. For My app this is the setup.

I like the plastic insert of the Dawson which I don't have, but the unsightly gap at the bottom is a no-go.

Use longer basepads and reload with authority!

Go on an' git it! The SV is the way to go.

Z,

I gotta wonder... With that gap on the front of the magwell, does that part of the funnel actually serve the purpose of guiding the magazine into the well or does the step "catch" the top round or the front of the mag body?

I've never used any SSTK magwell other than the S&A. Well, I also had one of the cheap Wilsons that attaches to the lower grip bushings, which if fitted well can also do the job (the grips must be relieved for seamless look). Given the straight wall (non-tapered) shape of the 1911 mags, they have to be indexed (pointed) straight at the well. If tilted or canted, they won't go in smoothly. FUMBLE!!

Now after some years of practice I think my SSTK mag changes are almost smooth. To new 1911 shooters I would recommend to start with one of the small-mouth magwells, develop the technique and then change to a big-mouth. I think that it doesn't matter how big the funnel opening is, if your technique for on-the-clock mag changing is not correct, the 1911 wont forgive as much as a double-stack tapered mag will. FUMBLE!!

Then again, what do I know? Just a lowly B-class shooter...

B)

DISCLAIMER: This post is the result of a 1 hour flight delay out of TPA. If it sounds like senseless rambling it probably is. As he gets older the author likes airports less and less, and flight delays make him disoriented and very grumpy.

Nemo

The mag opening has not been a functionality issue, not yet anyway!! <fingerscrossedicon>

I agree, you can't slope a 1911 reload, and if you (or anyone interested) read this whole thread, I primarily talk about the larger magwell for grip indexing, NOT reloads, but this Dawson seems to be nearly as good as the SV for grip index, but it does seem to make reloads with the straight-walled 1911 much more forgiving.

editors note: I hate airports too

To add on what Nemo said, I suggest new shooters to practice WITH OUT a magwell when they practice. Sure put what magwell you have on during the match but during practice, just until you get fundamentally sound try it with out one. I taught a class this past weekend and a guy never had a magwell on his SS and was banging them right away. He looked at my gun and tried it and was like, "eh I'll stick with nothing". I had to tell him in competition the magwell isn't for faster reloads its to catch those ones you miss when the pressure is up.

Back to the hole in the front of the ICE. I've said it somewhere but can't remember where. I think that its there to allow the front of the ice to be lower to get more of your weak hand above the ice. If they covered it up it basically would be like the SVI and come above the grip. I don't feel the hole when I shoot and I don't notice it when I do my reloads.

• 2 months later...

Just a thought...Dawson should come up with 2 inserts. The one they currently run and another that fills that gap for us competitive types.

I'd be willing to bet that would be a good compromise for everyone. I'm looking into this to get ready for SS nationals (1st time going to THIS match). Current set up is an S&A magwell set up.

The SV magwell looks pretty big. Anyone have any problems with this pistol/mag well combination fitting in the box?

To add on what Nemo said, I suggest new shooters to practice WITH OUT a magwell when they practice. Sure put what magwell you have on during the match but during practice, just until you get fundamentally sound try it with out one. I taught a class this past weekend and a guy never had a magwell on his SS and was banging them right away. He looked at my gun and tried it and was like, "eh I'll stick with nothing". I had to tell him in competition the magwell isn't for faster reloads its to catch those ones you miss when the pressure is up.

Back to the hole in the front of the ICE. I've said it somewhere but can't remember where. I think that its there to allow the front of the ice to be lower to get more of your weak hand above the ice. If they covered it up it basically would be like the SVI and come above the grip. I don't feel the hole when I shoot and I don't notice it when I do my reloads.

I think that's good in theory, but bad in practice for many (not all) folks.

The problem is that for most/many of us, the larger magwell changes our grip. I certainly don't want to dry fire draws and reloads with a grip that's slightly different from what it will be in a match. R,

• 3 months later...

I got the ICE no gap magwell. I run 47D's so I bought the .625 basepads. I had to grind the nose of the basepad down to fit in the magwell and the bottom to fit in the box. I have had a few issues with not seating the mag but those are overcome with practice. What I haven't had is fumbled, bumbled reloads. I was pretty good at reloads with the S&A but in dryfiring practice and sometimes in matches, the lips of the mag would catch on the magwell. I just don't have that problem anymore with the Dawson ICE. I'm very happy with my choice.

I got the ICE no gap magwell. I run 47D's so I bought the .625 basepads. I had to grind the nose of the basepad down to fit in the magwell and the bottom to fit in the box. I have had a few issues with not seating the mag but those are overcome with practice. What I haven't had is fumbled, bumbled reloads. I was pretty good at reloads with the S&A but in dryfiring practice and sometimes in matches, the lips of the mag would catch on the magwell. I just don't have that problem anymore with the Dawson ICE. I'm very happy with my choice.

Yep, I think that's one of the big benefits of any of the larger magwells (SV, ICE or TW)....not only are they bigger, but the angle of the funnel is different. The combination of those two differences seems to make it so they just suck in reloads that would otherwise be fumbled or totally blown. R,

• 4 months later...