Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on Single Stack Magwell's etc...

zhunter

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZH- I'd like to get your opinion on the techwell vs. the sv magwell.

HoMie

I only had about an hour to dryfire before I had to go to the airport yesterday.

But... It seemed pretty similar to the SV. Let's not forget, I posted earlier in this thread, that I don't feel, with proper dryfiring, that the larger magwells make much if ANY difference in the reload time. I use them for the grip index and the return of the left hand index after a reload.

I DON"T think the Techwell is as visually attractive as the SV due to the hole in the front. Just does not look clean in my opinion. Yeah, i like a clean sexy looking blaster, but until SV makes an aluminum version, it is Techwell for me.

Can't someone make the PERFECT SS magwell???? I am not machinist, but I can tell you what to do if you are!!!!

PM me

Homie - I had both, now I have the Techwell - sold the SV to Merlin. ;)

For me, the reloads were smoother with the Techwell - and I have the medium one. I didn't measure, but going on appearances only, the SV's magwell seemed to have a 'steeper' angle of approach than the Techwell does. And, in a hurry, I was more prone to mess up the reload with the SV than with the TW. I had the SV on one 1911 and the TW on another and just did reload drills, one after the other - for me, the TW was more consistent than the SV, but like Ford and Chevy, YMMV.

SV does make an aluminum one... :huh: All of mine are aluminum. :cheers:

Yup!

On my very early Dan Wesson pre-CZ Patriot PTM-B. This gun was an amazing find. Forged frame, match barrel, 2lb trigger. It is the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. Point is, aluminum SV magwell, bought used off this forum.

I kinda agree with Z that it doesn't do near what you'd think on sucking up a single-stack magazine, but it makes the grip feel great.

What on earth did your gun way with a *steel* SV?? I can't imagine that making weight.

post-5556-1200694198.jpg

Homie - I had both, now I have the Techwell - sold the SV to Merlin. ;)

For me, the reloads were smoother with the Techwell - and I have the medium one. I didn't measure, but going on appearances only, the SV's magwell seemed to have a 'steeper' angle of approach than the Techwell does. And, in a hurry, I was more prone to mess up the reload with the SV than with the TW. I had the SV on one 1911 and the TW on another and just did reload drills, one after the other - for me, the TW was more consistent than the SV, but like Ford and Chevy, YMMV.

I guess the proper and fair way to evaluate two similar but different products is to do a side by side comparison.... My next "project" as soon as I can locate a Techwell... :cheers:

id like to thank all in this discussion...ive been flippin in my head which mainspring magwell (wilson,brown,s&a) and grip combination to get but after reading the entire discusion and lookin at the pics....im goin with the medium techwell and grips from their site....since you buy the well and relieved grips at the same time....the big ol svi's and big techwells just look so damn goofy that i couldnt possibly do that to my kimber...mebe down the road i'll throw in my 2 cents on how it works

At the WSSSC they weighed the gun. Some folks were surprised that they exceed the weight limit. I saw a lot of people with Bob's mag well but almost all of them were modified.

As one of the folks with the Techwell at the match I figured I'd add a little. I didn't have access to a box prior to the match so I carefully drew the outline of the box on flat cardboard and used that as a substitute. For a little insurance space I took off maybe 1/16" from the very front of the Techwell, but it proved completely unecessary. This was the large Techwell on an STI Trojan with the stock STI adjustable sights. I was using Wilson 47NX mags with the DE extended basepads and I did have to trim a little off the front of the magpad to make sure it cleared and had plenty of wiggle factor. With a stock one-piece steel guide rod the whole combo weight 41.5oz.

• 10 months later...

Just wondering what you guys out there prefer. I have been looking at both the Techwell and the SVI one. Currently use the S&A, would one of these magwells improve my reloading? Some guys tell me that they don't see either making much of a difference being that a singlestack is still a pain to reload well. I can't help but think it would reloading easier, with the bigger opening. Would like to hear your feelings and suggestions.

Yes. You need a full profile mag-well for the single stack.

For years, the Smith & Alexander was a must have for those guns. They make a great product. A little later, I discovered a fellow named Otto Matyska (314-638-3327). He made great comps, but also had an incredible mag-well that was welded to the frame of the gun. Of course, I had to ship my gun to him, but boy, was it worth it. The big advantages was that it had interchangeable mainspring housings, an innovation at the time (We're talking 1989!). i.e. flat, semi-arched and full arched. This allowed the shooter to change the pitch of the muzzle with ease, unlike the S&A, which the housing is part of the well itself. The other advantage was the mag-well wrapped around the front of the gun, which made for a more reliable grip during the draw and coming out of the reload.

This is the S&A type, or semi-profile:

My%20Mag%20Well%203.JPG

Notice how the well ends at the front strap.

The is a full profile:

64.jpg

A bigger opening does help as it guides your hands into the right spot every time.

Hope this helps! :cheers:

Edited by BlackSabbath

I currently use the SVI magwell on my 1911s. It fits the box, makes weight and helps my grip. For me a magwell doesn't help you reload any faster, practice does that, it save a bad reload from going over the burm. WIth a single stack you really have zero room for error. Either you hit it or you hit something and it slows you down.

I love the S&A w/arched msh...enough so that I had Wilson remove theirs and fit one to my CQB. They did a beautiful blend job.

FWIW the WC I have for sale was not fitted just stuck on by the local dealer <_<

Those big full profile jobs on a 1911 make me AACCKK!! Come on Corey take it back :P

All this wisdom from a D shooter... :D

I have had, in the following order:

No magwell

S&A

Techwell SP

Techwell XT

Techwell Carry

IMHO, the ONLY thing the 'big' magwells are good at it helping your grip, and that depends largely on your hand size/shape. As Z stated in the original post, with SS mags, you need to get them aligned pretty good in order for any magwell to help you. When it all boils down to it, a 'big' magwell will MAYBE save 1% of your reloads, if you're lucky - if you index was that bad, chances are you're having other problems too. I really liked how easy it was to get a nice grip with the bigger magwells, but being a new shooter, I didn't want to get into bad habits and am forcing myself to do it the hard way...

After running the Techwells, I really started to like the way the gun balanced with the polymer MSH, Al grips and well combo. The S&A is a great magwell, but I just prefer the balance of my current setup.

My findings on Wilson Basepads and fitting in the box:

S&A - regular 47D pads work and feel great.

Techwell SP and Carry - D's will work, but they're a bit too flush for my taste, so I run shaved DE pads. Build a box and shave them to fit. In the Carry, they seat similar to how a D feels in a S&A.

XT - you need to run shaved DE's. The XT has no problem fitting in the box, if it doesn't, either you frame is way too long, or your rear sight is way too tall.

I have yet to see an Al S&A. That may be the low budget solution. The only downside to the Techwell Carry is the cost. It is slightly wider and taller than the S&A, which for me, yields the best blend of performance given slightly sloppy technique, while looking dead sexy.

I love the S&A w/arched msh...enough so that I had Wilson remove theirs and fit one to my CQB. They did a beautiful blend job.

FWIW the WC I have for sale was not fitted just stuck on by the local dealer <_<

Those big full profile jobs on a 1911 make me AACCKK!! Come on Corey take it back :P

I will admit I think a well blended SA magwell with flat bottom grips make the gun look sexy. I want my guns sexy to a point then its all function!! There is a reason I still have the blended SA magwells for my .45 and .40. If they ever get retired those magwells are going back on.

I will admit I think a well blended SA magwell with flat bottom grips make the gun look sexy. I want my guns sexy to a point then its all function!! There is a reason I still have the blended SA magwells for my .45 and .40. If they ever get retired those magwells are going back on.

You can have all the sexy you want, give me functional and FAST