Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winter Shoes

AWLAZS

We shoot all winter up here in VT. BY the time set up is done and the first squad get off the stage the ground is real slippery.

I was thinking about puting some sheetmetal screews in the bottom of a pair of hikers. If I did that I would have to change my shoes at the range in the snow

Has any one used the slip on you shoe traction aids? do they stay on when you run?

thanks

Here in Wisconsin, I have seen range conditions that would make these useful!

snowshoes.gif

That is what the set up folks wear. I have seen guys try to shoot in them but it was not pretty.

Land sharks? Maybe you better come visit this winter. We have had some interesting natural soft cover. We made a bunch of snowmen.

Rocket what do you wear onthe icy days when things get packed down or in the spring?

snowshoes.gif

That is what the set up folks wear. I have seen guys try to shoot in them but it was not pretty.

Land sharks? Maybe you better come visit this winter. We have had some interesting natural soft cover. We made a bunch of snowmen.

Rocket what do you wear onthe icy days when things get packed down or in the spring?

Just kidding about the snow shoes~:P I usually just shoot indoors. But on the rare occasion you see me out in the snow, I use the knobbiest set of Merrills I can find. And go easy on the dashing around, shoot on the move as much as possible at a smooth controlled pace. Not much else you can do...

These are the business for ice, packed snow, or slick props in the winter. (ydays match was about 6" and still snowing)

http://www.yaktrax.com/

You can usually search around and find the Pro Model for $25 at some of the online outdoor shops.

Those look interesting.

Anybody else had any experence with them?

roadrunner sports, yes the running shoe company sells slip on ice claws for running, yes they do work with a coat of slick on the ground. BTW if you don't know the company they have excellent running shoe help

• 2 weeks later...

snowshoes.gif

Just kidding about the snow shoes~:P I usually just shoot indoors. But on the rare occasion you see me out in the snow, I use the knobbiest set of Merrills I can find. And go easy on the dashing around, shoot on the move as much as possible at a smooth controlled pace. Not much else you can do...

Rocket I never thought I would see you shout outdoors in that fluffy white stuff until I saw the video, you must have been really desperate to go shooting!!!! :goof:

In my experience you need to look for soles with widely spaced lugs, and the lugs should be square not rounded. Tightly packed lugs get filled with snow, ice, rocks, whetever and stop working. Rounded lugs don't bite into the snow as well as square ones. The only draw back is that soles like that wear out faster.