Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pull ups

Catfish

'nuff said.

Hate 'em.

A little sore this morning are we?

Drives me nuts I can more than lift my BW in squats, deads, bench, and just about lift my BW in OHP, but I can barely do one stinking pullup at a time. And yeah, I'm sore!

Give me 3 months, I'll post this in the what I like forum.

But this morning, it's all hate. <_<

In the spirit of less-discussion-in-hate-threads, the discussion portion of this thread was moved over to the Physical Training forum.

Thanks to the member that pointed out that was a far better place for the topic.

In the spirit of Hate, I hate that once I was on the verge of good one-handed pullups, but that day is years ago.

Pull ups can be tough to do and the only good way to get good at doing them is to do them. Now I know that easier said then done. They do sell rubber bands that you can use that help tremendously!!

When I was going through the academy for my agency we had a former football college lineman that was 6'6 and 330lbs. When we started the academy he could not do one. After 7 months of training and using these bands religiously he was able to do 7 when we graduated.

If you google pull up bands I am sure you will find something.

Get Em Good'

Jayson

At "da' Zoo", the males had to do a minimum of 7 to pass the PFT. The max was 21.

I think I maxed it out every time.

Now, I would be happy if I could do 5. Then the tendonitis sets in to my forearms.

The upside to doing pullups is that it will increase your grip strength too, which is good for holding onto your pistola (at matches).

I stumbled across this youtube video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lAnSK-p1dfk

Looks like a killer workout.

Also, check out the crossfit site. Some amazing stuff on there as far as pull up related exercises go.

(thread drift on)

Back when I was BCT cadre, we had a recruited .... yes... a recruited football player who couldn't do one pull up.

Yeah, he received lots of extra attention.

:ph34r:

(drift off)

Edited by Chills1994

I have been looking at this thread and just had to ad to it. My son just received an appointment to West Point. It came with some conditions like getting a nomination by a congressman who he has or is meeting with. And passing the physical. The physical requires 6 pull ups. His adviser said with his academics he only had to meet the minimum of 6. Well he is a football player 6' 205. He has never trained with pull ups. His football coaches worked on squats, bench press and cleans. Not sure if thats correct, its the first part of clean & jerk. Well anyway he can only do 3 even with being in the 1000lb club on the weights. He has to have the physical done by mid January or the appointment will be withdrawn. He has been working out th past month, not enough in my opinion, but doesnt seem to be making any progress on them. I might check out the bands but his desire to attend the academy will be seen in is commitment to make the minimum.

Since I had knee surgery a few weeks ago, I have been going to PT twice a week. A guy shows up two weeks ago. He works for a tree cutting service here. Not sure what his ailment is. He is about 6'1", and I figure about 185lbs. He is 34 years old. They ask him to show them what kind of movements he does at work. This guy goes out into the hall and starts climbing the the outside of the stairwell with only his arms. Then he comes in and does 29 pull-ups before he stops! Then he starts doing one-arm pull-ups! WTF!?!?!? He inverts himself, and climbs all over the rack like a monkey. So, I can't stand it. I ask him how the heck he can do that? He says its nothing. He climbs trees all day long. Then he said it "was harder to climb hulls of ships with scuba tanks on...." <_<

For me, it depends on the pull-up. Its easier for me to do inside grip (close, palms facing me). I can barely do 5 with a wide grip, palms facing out.