Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75-B 9mm For an open gun

JAB

Ok i have a CZ 75-B 9mm sitting around and was thinking about making it into an open gun. Has any one ever turned a CZ into an open gun if so what did you do to it and was it good or waste of time and money ??

It can be done. I suspect that you'd find it cheaper to buy one pre-made from EAA/Tanfoglio (through Henning here on the forum), or CZ. By the time you buy the barrel, comp, scope, and have smith who still knows how to build a race gun on those platforms, you'll probably be into it as much as you can buy a new race gun from the dealers. You might be able to buy a topend that might work on those guns, but... ???

This certainly can be done, but there are some obstacles to overcome. You might be able to find a used slide and barrel in 9x21 or 9mm already setup. After all, at one time this was a fairly popular competition gun. The next issue would be magazines, specifically a big stick. This is usually a mag built from welding up two std. magazines.

These really are fine guns and lots of fun to shoot, but you'll have to be prepared to either spend a lot to do the conversion or do a lot of hunting for parts and information.

You might consider milling the slide and drilling holes in the barrel like the v-8 and V-10 systems, adding a dot and running it like that. No comp on it. I'll bet with standard 9mm or Steel Challenge loads it would make a hell of a steel gun at least :D

the CZ75b the most challenging part will be setting up the comp and find a barrel..I think the EAA barrels are cut differently..but I am not sure.

mags aren't too difficult..the 25rnd mags can be trimmed to fit the 170mm guage and playing with springs and followers you can get 28-29 of 9mm in them.

one issue will be the slide stop..thought to be one of the weak points of the CZ..but same thing was thought of the P9 when it was being run. and I had no issue with slidestops breaking running 115s at the older 175PF

whether its worth it or not..not sure.

one issue will be the slide stop..thought to be one of the weak points of the CZ..but same thing was thought of the P9 when it was being run. and I had no issue with slidestops breaking running 115s at the older 175PF

Lots of folks run CZ-75 pattern Open guns, though - I don't hear about inordinate numbers of failures? Especially now? We used to solve it by using a pin designed by either EGW or Behlert (can't remember which?) that had no slide stop part - it was just a pin, with a detent to keep it in place. It allowed the pin to rotate so that it didn't just get peened on one side, eventually causing it to bend and break....

I never ran 115s in my P9 - I was running 130s w/ 3N37, though. That was enough abuse to the gun, I figured ;) Modern power factors should be much easier on them, though....

Of course, that was a long time ago, so.... things may have changed....

Lots of folks run CZ-75 pattern Open guns, though - I don't hear about inordinate numbers of failures? Especially now? We used to solve it by using a pin designed by either EGW or Behlert (can't remember which?) that had no slide stop part - it was just a pin, with a detent to keep it in place. It allowed the pin to rotate so that it didn't just get peened on one side, eventually causing it to bend and break....

I never ran 115s in my P9 - I was running 130s w/ 3N37, though. That was enough abuse to the gun, I figured ;) Modern power factors should be much easier on them, though....

Of course, that was a long time ago, so.... things may have changed....

not saying it is a problem..I have only heard people say they have broken slidestops..I never have.

George Huening of WCPI used to make the slide pins..I think George at EGW has them now..

the 165PF should great on these guns..would love to get hold of the CZ open guns they run from CZUB..I think those are built on the TS frame.

I know of a smith working on such a project right now for guys wife. Her hands are too small for the S_I frames. I think you can still get the 6" barrel from CZUSA which could be cut down and threaded for the comp and Angus has long mags which could be played with to be turned into whatever length you need I'd think. Slide stops run in the $30 to $35 dollar range so that's not that big of an expense to carry a spare. I carry a spare for my production gun. Heck, I had to replace one in one of my other guns because it was bent. I think slide stops are pretty much standard maintenance parts aren't they?

I was thinking about having a small frame Witness turned into an Open gun but changed my mind. I have smallish hands and CZ size frame fits me pretty darn good.

The biggest issue is that as far as I know CZUSA won't sell slides so if for some reason it cracks and can't be repaired you'd have to buy a whole gun for the slide. Angus may be able to get around that problem though.

CZ actually made a factory open gun: search Gunbroker for "Champion"

Angus used a modified Chapion to best every STI/SV gun that showed up for the American Handgunner several years.

OKO makes a site with a built in base that is intended from small frame CZ. Look at IPSC Store over on global village.

The stock barrel would easily withstand old Major. New lower major would be no problem. And, Bar Sto makes and even stronger barrel if you feel the need.

The EGW pin cures any worries about breakage.

If this is something you really want to do, don't get discouraged with what been said so far.

I do occasionally shoot exactly what (I think) you're talking about. A 9mm with a BarSto barrel, comped, and shooting major 9.

I haven't put a lot of time in to it and still haven't got a real big stick, but it is a fast and fun gun to shoot. And there are used guns out there. I bought this one with both a comped 9mm top end and the usual 9x21 top end for... a real good price. I like the 9mm enough I've never even shot the 9x21 top.

• 4 weeks later...
I shoot a 75 SP01 in open. I am still needing a comp but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

very cool..

are you shooting minor or major through it?? have you set up any 170mm mags??

be interested when you get a comp system figured out..

I shoot a 75 SP01 in open. I am still needing a comp but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

very cool..

are you shooting minor or major through it?? have you set up any 170mm mags??

be interested when you get a comp system figured out..

Well, sooo much for SSP? This could be fun...

Well, it's converted to SA only, competion hammer, tuned trigger at a little under 2lbs which was done by Kory Charland. Firing pin block is also removed which gives a better reset. The grips and magwell are from angus. And obviously the cmore. I'm shooting minor thru it now as I shoot more steel than anything else (where there is no minor/major scoring difference) and it fits that role nicely till I get the comp worked out and then I'll build up a major load for it and probably cut some mags down to fit. I use the cz 26 rounders with extended bases which take 29. It's a work in progress. Barsto can do an extended barrel so I'm hoping to have one of those soon and will then thread and comp that. It shoots really nice, fast and accurate. It is not picky with ammo, I've run it 3000 rounds without a real cleaning just to see how it did with no malfunctions (jacketed bullets). And with the rail I can still mount my surefire and dominate the night matches too.

If I can get the barrel soon I'll probably be shooting a fair amount more USPSA this year. It's a fun project that is significantly cheaper than doing a S-I type gun especially here in California where getting a buildable frame is $$$$ in and of itself. The more of us that build em up the better off we'll be getting some some good working comp setups and whatnot.

Oh, the other option I've been toying with is slotting out the slide and porting the factory barrel. My main concern is enough length to get the speed up for major but if I don't hear back from barsto with good news on getting one I'll probably try that. I have a backup sp01 I could take the slide and barrel from if it's turned out to be a disaster.

cz-new.JPG

I have a CZ 75 Champion in 9mm which I have been shooting for a couple of years now. I had also another one in .40 S&W which I sold sometime ago. I love my Champion in 9mm. I have five extra slide stops for breakage replacements. Never had one break yet, and I am shooting Major 9. The same loads I use in my 2011 Open gun. I load out to 1.175".

I have developed a Hyper-Jet comp for it, but I have not installed it yet. I spoke to the CZ gunsmith who assured me they had the longer barrels in stock, which I need for the Hyper-Jet Comp system. After I heard that CZ was discontinuing the importation of the CZ Champion it did not make much sense to continue the project, although recently I have decided to finish it even if there is no real prospective market for it. The Champion does not have that much in common with its Tanfoglio brethren in their "Gold Team". Since the Champion is not available in a "large" frame configuration, we can only do 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 S&W.

I love the grip-mag well in the gun above. If it fits in my Champion I intend to get one for it. So far I am shooting the Champion with slide base adapter mount with a Docter red dot. I am considering a more sturdy permanent installation, either slide mounted of frame mounted. Haven't decided yet. I definetely love the way a CZ 75 feels in my hand and points. I'll see what I can do to find some more time to dedicate to it, which is not a simple order for me. :mellow:<_<

This is a topic that keeps popping up every once in a while. I have been shooting small frame CZ and Tanfoglio for a long time, and if set up right they will run all day long. As far as the comments about the cost, well, pends on what you like better I guess. You could build a cheap STI just as well as a cheap CZ. I think if you could get a barrell, I believe Barsto still makes them; just about any good smith could put a comp on it for you. The pic eerw posted is a good example. The SPO1 with the long dust cover frame, and angus stocks triggers, hammers, grips, magwells etc... so pretty much everything else is no problem. As far as optics, on my Tanfoglio I use an Aimpoint and CPMi makes a mount, and if you like C-More a one sided 1911 mount can be made to work. I actually have a mount made by Relic Custom in Australia for Tanfoglio that would work. With Angus supplying parts for CZ I think popularity of these guns will spread, especially with the rumor of possible Tactical Sport framed open guns in the future. I have a pic of one of the Team CZub guns, based on a "Champion Model" I'll post it. Good luck if you get your project started, shop/call around and you should get the info you need.

post-1046-1199137690.jpg

Since EERW was nice enough to post a link to my CZ and I heard about it from the guy building a 75 for his wife I decided to post in case anyone had questions. My gun shoots major 9 easily and I absolutely love it for open class. Obviously it is a SPO1 and all my parts came from CZ. It has their new slim grips and magwell, full length guide stainless guide rod with a wolf 10# spring, a factory CZ barrel (6") cut and threaded for a CZ factory comp. It has a factory CZ Weigand Weaver mount with Millet SP2 dot, a SA trigger set below 2#, and a competition hammer. Factory SPO1 mags are 19 rds and with extended base pads and trimming of follower make nice 22 rdrs and CZ makes a factory 26 rd mag that can be trimmed for open class. Finally it has a cocking extension and my local gunsmith took the existing SA safety and welded and milled a very comfortable "exxxtennndddeeedddd" safety. If anyone is interested in building a like gun then a new SPO1 and parts to convert to open would be less than $1000 minus the gunsmith work. Way less than any S_I open gun on the market. To make major 9 I use 115 fmj Rainier, 8.4grs of HS6, WSP primer, and range brass loaded to 1.14 OAL for a total of 1480 fps average. No signs of pressure and I check my slide release after each match and yet to see a mark. If you have questions let me know.

post-11138-1199329743.jpg