Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite SS Load

Rather-B-Huntin

Looking for recommendations for a good soft shooting load that still makes major (I know, I know!! Kind of an oxymoron, but thought I'd check and see what works for others).

I intend to concentrate on SS division next year, and am still torn between shooting a .45 or .40.

Was initially leaning towards .40, but the more I think about it, the more I'm going back to .45.

All I've ever loaded in .45 has been 230's. Anybody recommend 200's or 180's to take a bit of the oomph out of .45?

230 grain FMJ over 4.5 grains of Tite-Group. 15# variable power recoil spring. 18# mainspring. Flawless in my Baer. Soft, but snappy. Front sight settles great.

edited to add: Oh, one other important detail. OAL 1.25. Chrono results were about 739 fps / 170 pf in my gun.

Edited by Steve J

230 grain FMJ over 4.5 grains of Tite-Group. 15# variable power recoil spring. 18# mainspring. Flawless in my Baer. Soft, but snappy. Front sight settles great.

It took me 4.7 - 4.8 of TG to make 170 PF

Interesting. I was making major in warm weather with 4.4 gr, but once it turned cold the velocity went way down. I bumped it up to 4.5 and that got it above the threshold in cold weather. Had a couple of major match chronos confirm my own. 738 fps for 169.7 pf up to about 750 fps. Sierra lists 750 fps for 4.5 grains and unlike others, they use a Colt Gold Cup for their data instead of a laboratory tube which doesn't tell you anything you can use. I'll chrono again of course before the next major.

230 Zero.. 4.7gr TG gave me a 170PF too, with a SD of 10.8

I didn't note the date or cool/hot day

Another time I tested the same load.. PF178 with SD 21

4.7 is what I'm shooting.. I'l have to re-chrono again, see which time was off.

I must have a SLOW barrel or a crappy balance beam scale ;)

My balance beam scale is ancient. RCBS vintage 1975.

230 Zero.. 4.7gr TG gave me a 170PF too, with a SD of 10.8

I didn't note the date or cool/hot day

Another time I tested the same load.. PF178 with SD 21

4.7 is what I'm shooting.. I'l have to re-chrono again, see which time was off.

It's very temperature sensitive. Chrono on a cold day for sure. It also has a wide spread. At 73 degrees I got 730-789 fps with 4.5 gr, but it's still a very accurate load. I can get a 3 inch group off hand at 25 yards. Works for me.

Edited by Steve J

I shoot Lead in the .45 so 3.8 with a 230 LRN or 4.1 with a 200 LSWC around 1.255ish out of stock springfield.

Edited to add...umm thats with Clays powder...is there anything else for .45? :-)

Edited by steel1212

I guess I can't improve on what I'm already shooting then!

I've been shooting 4.4 gr. of Titegroup under a 230 Black Gold for an average of 758 fps. outta my 5" S&W. Same load still makes major outta my Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ 3" barrel (well most of the time it will).

I was just wondering if I could get a little less muzzle flip by going down in bullet weight?

I guess I can't improve on what I'm already shooting then!

I've been shooting 4.4 gr. of Titegroup under a 230 Black Gold for an average of 758 fps. outta my 5" S&W. Same load still makes major outta my Kimber Ultra Carry II w/ 3" barrel (well most of the time it will).

I was just wondering if I could get a little less muzzle flip by going down in bullet weight?

Edited because I misread your post.

Try reducing your recoil spring weight one pound at a time. If you're using conventional, try a variable power spring.

Edited by Steve J

R-B-H & others, Titegroup goes in the toilet in cold weather, like crono at 70 & have it drop to 30. 2003 Bend Area 1 I went from 175 to 162 when it decided to snow. But then I live in an area where it can drop 20 degrees in an hour. Sure makes the WST load a handful as it can go up 20 PF.

Other than VV is there any temperature stable powder?

3.8gr. CLAYS 230gr. makes major in my 5" KART barrel 1911

I must have a slow barrel too. I need 4.05gn Clays to make major with zero margin. Other relevant data:

STI Eagle 5" stock barrel

230 grain Zero FMJ exposed base

CCI large pistol primers

Mixed brass

1.25" OAL

40-45 degree outside temp

200gr RNSP Moly bullet, 4.1grs Clays

Avg 830.9 fps

Avg PF 166.2 PF

SD 11.78

MEDIAN 833 fps

Out of a 5" 1911. I probably need to bump up the charge so that I'm not so close to PF.

Edited by bp78

I hate to admit this, but the folks touting Clays are right, at least for .45 ACP. 3.9 grains under a 230 grain RNL went 747 fps from the 4.5" barrel of my S&W M&P. I need to chrono it from my 4" M22-4 to make sure it makes at least a 165 PF from it before I settle on that load, but it looks pretty good. It gave a round 2" group at 50 feet from an unsteady rest, so the accuracy seems to be there as well.

I keep hoping that someone is going to list the magic load with something other than Clays but it doesn't seem to be happening. I need a non-temperature sensitive load becuse it went from zero last week to 50 this week headed south again next week and WST is killing me with the recoil changes. I guess it is time to bite the bullet (230gr Zero HP) and load some Clays.

4.7 N-320. 230 Ranier plated round nose. N-320 is more expensive, but I haven't seen much fluctuation due to temp change. I live 5-7 miles south of Canada, so I see some cold weather.