Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scoring

I shoot in a club were 2 of the top 5 shooters in the country shoots. I started last year and after some hard work I got myself into the 50% range, and stayed right there. I keep on working and shoot better but my scores are not reflecting that. The problem is that even though I am working hard, Alex(The Champ) is working even harder. My score is worked out as a percentage of his. If it carries on like this I will die a "Bronze class" shooter. Is there a way that I can measure my progress(if any) against myself and not the other shooters in the club. We shoot a competition every Saturday and the "good" shooters is there every Saturday. All the Provincial shooters are also club members.

PS I am now back to the 40` again

Johann the Horrible

One way, of many, would be to get yourself a timer and record the time it takes you to perform basic skills such as draw and one hit at 10 yards in practice.

Record your progress shooting an El Presidente. On line you can find the IDPA classifier; set that up and record your times for each stage.

:cheers:

ETA: And remember words are important! You might consider changing your name to Johann the Magnificent to help build your self image. ;)

Edited by AikiDale

<_< Well first thing is to make some adjustment to your self image. Change that tag line to Johann +. <_< Johann the fast learner

Wow 50% in just one year is great. Normally 50% of the top club shooters is very good even when the top shooters at a club are 90% . A goal of 75% of the best in the nation is a multi year goal for the better than average guy.

The first two years are the easy est to make improvement in, and it sounds to me like you are doing great.

Any sport that you want to get good at takes a min of three times a week training to make measurable improvements.

Go to the USPSA web site and down load the classifiers = shoot them in practice and calculate your scores. and keep the results = shoot them six months later to see how you score.

Congrats on doing so well in your first year.

Now go fix you attitude /self image !Today! ;)

Get this book

With Winning In Mind is a great book.

I should point out that Brian Enos...our HOST...carries this book!!!

http://brianenos.com/store/books.html

As does forum dealer and shooting buddy, Steve Anderson!!!

http://andersonshooting.com/winning.htm

They both carry each others books, as well as Saul's book (mentioned earlier).

And, if anybody is buying anything from Amazon, then you can order by first clicking on link on the USPSA website. That gives USPSA a commision fee for anything that you buy at Amazon...without costing you a penny more.

http://www.uspsa.org/dw/associates.html

<_< Well first thing is to make some adjustment to your self image. Change that tag line to Johann +. <_< Johann the fast learner

Wow 50% in just one year is great. Normally 50% of the top club shooters is very good even when the top shooters at a club are 90% . A goal of 75% of the best in the nation is a multi year goal for the better than average guy.

The first two years are the easy est to make improvement in, and it sounds to me like you are doing great.

Any sport that you want to get good at takes a min of three times a week training to make measurable improvements.

Go to the USPSA web site and down load the classifiers = shoot them in practice and calculate your scores. and keep the results = shoot them six months later to see how you score.

The Horrible part refers to my sense of humor that for, for some people, is quite horrible. I got DQ`ed a while ago for letting a shot go during a reload. The shot hit the A zone of the target at 7 meters. The next time me and the RO went hunting together I fed him some Biltong(like jerky just drier) and after the hunt told him it was made of Baboon meat. He still does not eat anything I bring to the club.(I told him I still have the baboons brain.)

The moniker is a reflection on my sense of humor- I just love taking the "Mickey" out of people. My problem is that the more I practice the lower my score goes but I feel I am shooting better and better. I got hit by a ricochet a few months ago and maybe that also plays a role.

<_< Strange humor <_< ! OK :cheers: I like that :wub::devil: I found my new best friend.

ricochets can be fun too ...Teckni-cillly its a bullet wound ...?rite?

The first few years have {Leaning curves} just push though them and the rewards will come.

I have played lots of shooting games, and every game I played had learning curves. But the most important thing I learned was. "IN order to move UP to the next level,- You have to give something up" I have seen very few sportman be able to learn something new and put it to match wins /or progress rite away.

Get some good coaching that will teach you how to learn. & Read up too

<_< Strange humor <_< ! OK :cheers: I like that :wub::devil: I found my new best friend.

The first few years have {Leaning curves} just push though them and the rewards will come.

I have played lots of shooting games, and every game I played had learning curves. But the most important thing I learned was. "IN order to move UP to the next level,- You have to give something up" I have seen very few sportman be able to learn something new and put it to match wins /or progress rite away.

You have to see it from my side, phoned my wife from the hospital to tell her I would be late, and to only tell her about the fine line about ricochets and been shot when I got home. Big mistake, the moment she answered the phone she asked me,"what are you doing in hospital?" Things kinda went downhill from there, way down. Now I take "her" daughter shooting on Saturdays too. No cell reception at the range, and that is one of the main reasons I shoot there.

Just had a shoot from hell. The first stage I got lead splattered time and again as I was the RO in the detail. Stupid bloody stage. Draw and shoot first 4 gongs and two targets weak handed. After that freestyle. So one of my friends lets one go into the furniture and get sent home. Damn. So after everyone else has shot the poor RO gets to "strut his stuff". By this time I am so concerned about lead splatter that my Mantra goes "not more lead- not more lead". At the buzzer I grab the gun and lets rip, with my right hand only. That ended -80 in penalties. In my defense- I wright left handed and shoot right handed. The RM just would not accept that- bloody unfair if you ask me. From there the shoot went down hill fast. I even made a wrong call about distances on the Standards range and that caused the range to be "pulled from the results". Man I am the most popular RO in the Province at the moment. Just before I got home I hit a camera trap- doing a 100!! (in a 60 zone).

Yesterday in Church I was the last of the Church board members to walk into the church. As I lead the singing I sit right in front beneath the pulpit. As I walked in, nodding to people as I went along, I managed to walk into one of the pews and fall down, in front of the whole congregation- much to the great delight of the whole congregation. As I drove home I considered shooting myself in the foot but had to refrain as I probably would have missed.

Brother...the guys weren't kidding. Get a copy of Lanny Bassham's With Winning In Mind.

Ok I cant stand it. How about it Mr. Flex, you and I just start posting a page from Lanny's book every day?

Edited by AlamoShooter

Brother...the guys weren't kidding. Get a copy of Lanny Bassham's With Winning In Mind.

I survived been shot 4 times(OK on one occasion it was with a rubber bullet). I survived Cancer. I survived several shootouts as a cop. I survived(and was wounded) during a contact with terrorists(wich is more than what several of them can say). I survived Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I shot a rapist(Steti Keswa) at 1400 meters with a Heavy barreled FN/FAL. I ran the one of the most successful Crime Prevention and Suspect Tracing Units ever and I now run the BEST Coffee shop in Port Elizabeth. I have a winning mindset, I just enjoy laughing at my own and everyone else's screw ups. Life is too short to be taken seriously(hell the average South African Male lives to about 57!!) I don't care that Alex kicks my butt every Saturday- he puts in the hours and hours of practice AND has all the natural ability to shoot at the level were he is at. But I ENJOY my shooting, I ENJOY laughing at other shooters ruining their Saturdays trying to win at all cost. And last but not least I ENJOY laughing at life in general. When I sing, I sing loudly and when I fart you don't want to be standing behind me.

Noooo!!! After much "explaining" I managed to convince my wife that been hit by a bullet is not always the same as getting shot.(This took me a loooong time). I think the main difference is in the "eye of the shootee". If the ricochet counted as being shot I will have been shot 5 times and that is clearly excessive.

Get this book

With Winning In Mind is a great book.

As does forum dealer and shooting buddy, Steve Anderson!!!

http://andersonshooting.com/winning.htm

They both carry each others books, as well as Saul's book (mentioned earlier).

And, if anybody is buying anything from Amazon, then you can order by first clicking on link on the USPSA website. That gives USPSA a commision fee for anything that you buy at Amazon...without costing you a penny more.

http://www.uspsa.org/dw/associates.html

. :D ..And a "GREAT BOOK" it is!.... Givin one to my Brother for xmas, He's into target Archery.

I am reading it now, and feel the need to eat granola and light candles :devil:

Good.

When you start eating candles and lighting granola, Then you are ready.

:P:lol::lol:

Think about us poor Ba-persons living in South Africa. Books are heavily taxed and books on shooting seldom makes it trough Customs. We have to make do with what ever finds it's way through and live with that.

OK I believe you guys, after reading Beyond Fundamentals several times I need to order the rest of these books. I'll get on it today.

Robin

Placed my order for , With Winning in Mind, Steves first book and another copy of Beyond Fundamentals for my training partner for Christmas, also thought I'd try out the slide glide while I was at it. Eventually I will probably own every book offered, I love reading as a second to shooting.

Edited by gunsablazin