Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open blaster

rtr

This is my major 9 open gun, was built from an STI short block kit that came from Brazos with his comp that has the front port chopped off.

I switched to the Barry mount after meeting Barry Ruan at nationals in Missoula. I had been worried about the lens getting destroyed since I have two blow holes, but in fact that's not an issue. After switching to the barry mount I don't have to think about offset issues at close range (like headshots), I just aim and shoot like an iron sight gun. I've put about 3000 rounds or so thru the gun so far with the barry mount and really like it. The only downside is that it makes it harder to rack the gun, I think the best solution probably is a right sided racker which I may put on in the future. The other issue is zeroing the cmore, so I had Derek at Millenium Custom move the elevation set screw, windage screw, and windage set screw to the left hand side of the cmore and that problem goes away.

I ordered my mount without holes and had my gunsmith just match the existing holes in my gun, he ended up using only 4 of the 5 existing holes and moved the mount back a bit.

Barry can be reached at BMR38SUPER@aol.com

Not affiliated with him, just a satisfied customer.

post-1759-1196209528.jpg

Edited by rtr

You going to sell advertising for the left/underside of the mount?

Anybody that wants to pay me is welcome to put their logo on there, I'll have to get some pics for folks to "test" some logos on:) So far nobody is knocking down my door to pay me to shoot though. :surprise:

Couple more pics.

post-1759-1196211701.jpg

post-1759-1196211712.jpg

Ask and you shall receive Bill. Note that my mount had some metal on the tab where the bolts holding it to the gun taken off, before it was removed there is room for a fifth screw.

post-1759-1196281999.jpg

post-1759-1196282011.jpg

do you have a pic of the shooters view of the dot?

Gimme a sec Lynn... I get you one and post it.

EDIT: It was to dark, so the depth of field sucks, but you should be able to see the distance from the slide okay.

22.jpg

Edited by JThompson

Looks great. It seems like you might play a little less of every Open shooter's favorite game...."Find the dot".

Yeah I haven't had any issues with finding the dot like I did with a regular mount when I first started shooting open.

Looks great. It seems like you might play a little less of every Open shooter's favorite game...."Find the dot".

Yeah I haven't had any issues with finding the dot like I did with a regular mount when I first started shooting open.

Not only that, but your index stays close to what you use for an iron sight too... for me, it makes it easier to go from one to the other and keep my index. ;)

Is the hole pattern the same as a regular C-More mount?

If you order the mount with holes I'm not sure what pattern it comes with, check with Barry.

You can order it without any holes (like I did) and then had it drilled to match the existing holes on the gun (which are the pattern of a Dawson mount).

Seems to solve the ejection problem of brass hitting mount and staying in gun. Is the hole pattern the same as a regular C-More mount?

It does make it easier to eject.

Also, it would be great for lefty because the slide racker is on the correct side for them. :)

do you have a pic of the shooters view of the dot?

Gimme a sec Lynn... I get you one and post it.

EDIT: It was to dark, so the depth of field sucks, but you should be able to see the distance from the slide okay.

22.jpg

Wow - that dot is not much higher than the top of some iron front sights! I bet that mount would make for an easy transition between an open S_I and a Limited S_I .

Thanks for posting the pics.

Looking at the pics, I am wondering if you mounted a Sidewinder racker just forward of the firing pin stop would work for a righthanded racker? Looks like enough room. And one could probably mount the scope a little more forward. You could still have the rear lightened forward of the dovetail for the racker....Thoughts?

Edited by Rocket35

JT and RTR,

Could you elaborate a little bit as to what degree you notice the bottom of the cmore and the mount blocking any vision on the left side of the gun? Looking at it my only wonder is whether or not it will get in the way of picking up transitions when moving left with the gun.

Thanks, Craig

Craig, let me say first i'm a B class shooter, about 72%. I don't notice the Cmore at all, all I see is the dot. But my transitions in an el prez don't get any faster than about .20. Perhaps to a more skilled shooter it would make a difference. I also seem to be able to transition just as fast (or slow!) right to left as left to right.

I have one of Barry's mounts on one of my Open guns. Very nice.

Biggest concern is sighting it in and makeing the adjustments. You need to have a special set of drivers that are cut very short and angled. Also, you need to make a drawing of the axises of the sight alignement directions. You don't move straight right/left or up/down. Both directions require a combination of movements to accopmplish. Once you get it, it isn't too bad, but if you forget and just crank one or the other, you can wind up wondering where the holes are going.

If one could reverse the screw in the C-More to adjust from the left side as opposed to the right side, this would be 100% the only mount.

Jim