Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI EAGLE 5.0(.40 S&W) For IDPA ESP & USPSA Limited

Paul Burtchell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent choice. Even better would be to have Benny build you one. It won't cost much more but will run better than factory with a better trigger.

:cheers:

Benny does great work. I just got a single stack back a couple of weeks ago that he tweaked for me. It's a Les Baer Thunder Ranch. It only had 650 rounds thru it but I had him put a S&A magwell and grips, Ed Brown thumb safety, Novak adj. rear sight and a Dawson F/O front, 2.25#trigger and completely hard chromed.

I'm really wanting to switch to the 2011 platform though. I shoot mainly IDPA, but I'm about to start shooting USPSA as well. I'll have to peddle the Thunder Ranch before I can get another one. I'll probably regret doing that, but alas I can't afford all I want.

Excellent choice. Even better would be to have Benny build you one. It won't cost much more but will run better than factory with a better trigger.

:cheers:

Roughly how much more would a standard eagle type sti built by Benny, with no finish, be than an eagle from DP.

IMO. Shooting the same gun will help become better, faster... If you do not use the heavy guide rod and use a small magwell you will be legal for both sports with no changes other than how many rounds you load your mags with. As to the Edge or the Eagle... it's a subjective matter and basically just what feels right to the individual.

I run an edge with a tungsten guide rod, I prefer the weight. I am debating trying it without the tungsten during the winter. It sounds like a lot of people prefer the lighter guns for limited. It seems like it would be a good choice, since it is legal in idpa also. You can always get a second bull barrel for the slide, if you decide later that you want a little more weight out front, or if you could find a tungsten sleeved barrel you would probably have all the weight you would want.

If you get it, I would definetly get a tungsten guide rod for when you shoot uspsa.

It seems like uspsa trys to create divisions for idpa shooters, but idpa creates rules to keep uspsa shooters and their guns out.

Paul, the tungsten guide rod mentioned in the thread is illegal in IDPA and the huge magwell is a joke. The opening in the butt of the Eagle for the double stack magazine is big enough.

Bubba has an Eagle with both a bushing barrel and a bull barrel set up on the same gun. True it's in 9mm, but if you ask him nicely he may let you try it out. That might be something you'd want to look at too.

Using the same gun for both Limited and ESP is a good idea as Merlin noted, but... The lighter nose of the bushing barrel gun may not handicap you too much in Limited, but the caliber will in ESP. You'll have to load 40 major in Limited (minor is a huge handicap) and 40 minor for ESP. While a lot of people use factory 9mm in ESP, many are loading to just over the power factor floor. So in effect, you'll be shooting two different guns no matter how you look at it.

Edited by Steve J

Paul, the tungsten guide rod mentioned in the thread is illegal in IDPA and the huge magwell is a joke. The opening in the butt of the Eagle for the double stack magazine is big enough.

Bubba has an Eagle with both a bushing barrel and a bull barrel set up on the same gun. True it's in 9mm, but if you ask him nicely he may let you try it out. That might be something you'd want to look at too.

Using the same gun for both Limited and ESP is a good idea as Merlin noted, but... The lighter nose of the bushing barrel gun may not handicap you too much in Limited, but the caliber will in ESP. You'll have to load 40 major in Limited (minor is a huge handicap) and 40 minor for ESP. While a lot of people use factory 9mm in ESP, many are loading to just over the power factor floor. So in effect, you'll be shooting two different guns no matter how you look at it.

Hmm. A 9mm Eagle for IDPA may be about the ultimate. I could always just use my GLOCK 24 for USPSA Limited.

Dang, no easy answer is there?

I dont think the standard barrel would limit you in Limited alot of people like lighter quicker guns, Granted I shoot a Para ordnance but I think the formula would be the same, I went with a S&A funnel that is big enough to just barely fit IDPA box, I use a Tungsten guide rod with major for limited, and a standard GI short one for IDPA and ammo around 135pf. This does a couple things for me IDPA tends to have shorter distances so the lighter nose speeds up transitions a little, the gun feels allmost the same with tungsten & major ammo as it does with GI rod with minor ammo. .40 minor is every bit as soft as 9mm some say softer, and it makes bigger holes which sooner or later will save you a hit.

Next is ammo I have tweaked my loads so the only thing I change is the bullet I make no adjustments at all to my press, I just switch from 180 to 155's use the same powder charge, oal and everything else. and get the same point of impact.

I dont think the standard barrel would limit you in Limited alot of people like lighter quicker guns, Granted I shoot a Para ordnance but I think the formula would be the same, I went with a S&A funnel that is big enough to just barely fit IDPA box, I use a Tungsten guide rod with major for limited, and a standard GI short one for IDPA and ammo around 135pf. This does a couple things for me IDPA tends to have shorter distances so the lighter nose speeds up transitions a little, the gun feels allmost the same with tungsten & major ammo as it does with GI rod with minor ammo. .40 minor is every bit as soft as 9mm some say softer, and it makes bigger holes which sooner or later will save you a hit.

Next is ammo I have tweaked my loads so the only thing I change is the bullet I make no adjustments at all to my press, I just switch from 180 to 155's use the same powder charge, oal and everything else. and get the same point of impact.

You make some very convincing points. Thanks.

Hmm. A 9mm Eagle for IDPA may be about the ultimate. I could always just use my GLOCK 24 for USPSA Limited.

From that perspective, why not just save $1500 and get a G35/G34 with a magwell for ESP IDPA?

Good point. I sold a Glock 34 to my nephew a month or so ago and have been kicking myself ever since I did. It had a nice set of Dawson F/O's and a Vanek Grandmaster trigger kit. I shot it alot better than I do the Les Baer. I've read where the downloaded 35 shoots easier than the 34. That would also eliminate my switching platform issues. The GLOCK is a gun I just hate to love.

Hello: I have a STI 2011 I built for IDPA and USPSA in 40. It is like the Eagle. It is a great platform for both I think. I also made a STI 2011 in 9mm for IDPA ESP and it is nice as well. The advantage with the 40 is that you can shoot it in both games with no penalty of shooting minor. I use either the SV magwell or a cut down STI magwell for both IDPA and USPSA. I have 2 Glocks for SSP and production they are the 34 and 35. I am still trying to choose which I like better. I would get a short dust cover, bushing barrel and a good barrel in 40 to use for both games. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

While 9mm is the IDPAers caliber of choice for the most part I disagree on this statement. Shoot .40 major and know your gun, it will never change how it acts, it will always shoot to the same spot and you will kick 9mm butt if you shoot it enough. While I do shoot ESP with a eagle 9mm as well as Steel challenge I would have no problems shooting my limited gun with a SVI magwell and still kicking butt in ESP.

If you have the money to buy a STI and you want to play both sports get a eagle in .40 and shoot major and clean house. You might not do it off the bat but the more you shoot the gun the better you will become. As far as the magwell get a SVI. As far as why to get one even with the big double stack hole, because of the grip and because its legal in both sports.

Its a game...game it!

Edited by steel1212

From that perspective, why not just save $1500 and get a G35/G34 with a magwell for ESP IDPA?

Good point. I sold a Glock 34 to my nephew a month or so ago and have been kicking myself ever since I did. It had a nice set of Dawson F/O's and a Vanek Grandmaster trigger kit. I shot it alot better than I do the Les Baer. I've read where the downloaded 35 shoots easier than the 34. That would also eliminate my switching platform issues. The GLOCK is a gun I just hate to love.

Perfect! I'm going to steal that, and couldn't agree more. I freakin' stay AWAKE at night, tortured by differences in platforms and being unable to just commit to one....

I thought about using an Eagle, or equivalent, myself -- there's a pretty active IDPA community in the area, that I sometimes dabble in, but I ended up saying 'screw it,' and just shooting Glocks when I shoot IDPA, rather than deal with the hassles of two-timing a Limited gun.

Some of the disadvantages:

New mags. Figure at least 3 (126mm) STI magazines that are only good for IDPA, so there's $180+ right there.

Slide-stop. I cut mine down so the slide doesn't lock back. For IDPA, I would want this to lock back.

Need for new mag holders, new holster....Yeah a DOH could do double-duty, but it's a huge PITA unscrewing the attachment. Etc.

Need to swap springs and guide rods around depending on what you're shooting -- .40 minor in IDPA or major in IPSC.

Size -- IDPA'ers ADORE 'The Box', and using it for a start position seems a favorite trick in big matches. There's "it fits," and "it fits easily."

I dunno...I came to my own conclusion that *if* one was already comfortable with a G* or XD, or something....There's not a hell of a lot of advantage in ESP to shooting an STI.

Perfect! I'm going to steal that, and couldn't agree more. I freakin' stay AWAKE at night, tortured by differences in platforms and being unable to just commit to one....

I thought about using an Eagle, or equivalent, myself -- there's a pretty active IDPA community in the area, that I sometimes dabble in, but I ended up saying 'screw it,' and just shooting Glocks when I shoot IDPA, rather than deal with the hassles of two-timing a Limited gun.

Some of the disadvantages:

New mags. Figure at least 3 (126mm) STI magazines that are only good for IDPA, so there's $180+ right there.

Slide-stop. I cut mine down so the slide doesn't lock back. For IDPA, I would want this to lock back.

Need for new mag holders, new holster....Yeah a DOH could do double-duty, but it's a huge PITA unscrewing the attachment. Etc.

Need to swap springs and guide rods around depending on what you're shooting -- .40 minor in IDPA or major in IPSC.

Size -- IDPA'ers ADORE 'The Box', and using it for a start position seems a favorite trick in big matches. There's "it fits," and "it fits easily."

I dunno...I came to my own conclusion that *if* one was already comfortable with a G* or XD, or something....There's not a hell of a lot of advantage in ESP to shooting an STI.

Steve, you bring up alot of good points, especially about the cost of mags and the slide lock back issues. I think I'll just buy a 35, add sights,trigger job and be done with it.

And I thought I was the only one who stayed up and actually worried about this stuff. :unsure:

Edited by baerburtchell

I had Richard Dettlehouser cut my long-wide/heavy STI EDGE to mimic an Eagle or single-stack. I prefer a lighter gun.

He did a great job. :cheers:

IMGP4111.jpg

I guess if I fit a bushing barrel, and smaller magwell it would be legal for IDPA,(?) and still suit me for IPSC.

I had Richard Dettlehouser cut my long-wide/heavy STI EDGE to mimic an Eagle or single-stack. I prefer a lighter gun.

He did a great job. :cheers:

IMGP4111.jpg

I guess if I fit a bushing barrel, and smaller magwell it would be legal for IDPA,(?) and still suit me for IPSC.

Great looking gun.

Rich does great work. I had Rick do a trigger job on one of my son-in-laws XD-9's and it is unbelievable.