Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Becoming technologically stunted

Bret Heidkamp

Sometimes it just takes someone to smack you upside the head. Check this out:

I'm sitting here trying to install a patch so I can play Sauerbraten for the first time. Turns out I have a choice: 64-bit AMD, or 64-bit Intel.

For the love of GOD I can't remember what chip is in the machine. I know it's 64-bit, though.

Me to my wife: "Honey, did we buy an AMD or an Intel chip in this box? I've got some stupid Vista system overview screen up and it says Intel. But it says P4."

The wife says, "Can't you just look?"

Me: "I am looking!" Now I've got the trusty old "device manager" screen open and it says we have TWO processors, both Intel P4's. I'm confused because I thought it was an AMD64, and why on earth are there two Intel P4's?? Shouldn't this at least say Intel 64-bit something or other?

My lovely wife repeats, "Can't you just look?"

me: I AM LOOKING!

Wife: No, I mean, can't you just look on that little square? on the motherboard? Can't you just open the case and LOOK?

D'OH !!!! OH MY GOD... I am truly humbled. :blink:

Edited by Bret Heidkamp

Sometimes it just takes someone to smack you upside the head. Check this out:

I'm sitting here trying to install a patch so I can play Sauerbraten for the first time. Turns out I have a choice: 64-bit AMD, or 64-bit Intel.

For the love of GOD I can't remember what chip is in the machine. I know it's 64-bit, though.

Me to my wife: "Honey, did we buy an AMD or an Intel chip in this box? I've got some stupid Vista system overview screen up and it says Intel. But it says P4."

The wife says, "Can't you just look?"

Me: "I am looking!" Now I've got the trusty old "device manager" screen open and it says we have TWO processors, both Intel P4's. I'm confused because I thought it was an AMD64, and why on earth are there two Intel P4's?? Shouldn't this at least say Intel 64-bit something or other?

My lovely wife repeats, "Can't you just look?"

me: I AM LOOKING!

Wife: No, I mean, can't you just look on that little square? on the motherboard? Can't you just open the case and LOOK?

D'OH !!!! OH MY GOD... I am truly humbled. :blink:

You think you're technologically stunted?....I have no idea what you just said :huh::D

You think you're technologically stunted?....I have no idea what you just said :huh::D

He wants to cook a sauertraten with his computer. Must have a hotplate attached?

sauerbraten

nounpot roast marinated several days in seasoned vinegar before cooking; usually served with potato dumplings :cheers:

Right-click My Computer, then Properties and hit the General tab if it isn't open.

Looking at the motherboard may or may not be useful.

Shred, you should see this Vista thing. Everything is rearranged. "My Computer" links & icon is gone, not that I used it anyway.

Sytem
Rating: Windows Experience Index: Unrated
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz  3.19 GHz
Memory (RAM): 1022MB
System type: 64-bit Operating System

I'm going to rate my experience index, all right!!! <_<

I did pop the turbo-intercooler high tech whirlygigg whatchamathingy off the processor, now I need more heat sink compound. aarrggghhhh.....

Chip said Intel on it. I think what we ended up with is a dual-core Pentium.

Sauerbraten is a FPS open source code game. Kind of like Doom or Quake, but interesting in that you can toggle to "edit" mode immediately during the game play. Don't ask me why they named it after something my parents used to cook for dinner. Check out www.sauerbraten.org

I remember thinking XP was way too "wussy" when I first switched to it. I don't need to be entertained by the operating software. Irritating that my scanner, digital camera, TV card, etc no longer worked and would never work again. I'm going to avoid Vista for as long as possible since XP does everything I want.

Opening the computer case would tell me nothing because of the heatsink and cooling fan.

I remember thinking XP was way too "wussy" when I first switched to it. I don't need to be entertained by the operating software. Irritating that my scanner, digital camera, TV card, etc no longer worked and would never work again. I'm going to avoid Vista for as long as possible since XP does everything I want.

Opening the computer case would tell me nothing because of the heatsink and cooling fan.

I hear ya. It was such a common-sense statement from the wife, though, and I'm really, really, computer-literate. 4 websites...2 companies making products for the shooting sports...client / server network at work...

If you pull the heatsink and fan, you'll see the chip type (you may have to remove a bit of heat sink compound, just be sure to replace it).