Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Pumpgun?

benelli2

After much trial and error, then some research, I decided on the HK Fabarm FP6 pump. This will be for the HM division.

What I liked:

20" barrel.

Adjustable Ghost Ring fiber-optic sights.

Weaver rail. (if you are interested in optics)

Extra large safety button.

7+1 capacity with the Choate extension.

Short stock with Pistol grip. Makes for faster handling and weakhand reloads.

Bolt unlocks just like the Winchester 1300.

Very easy disassembly.

Very nice recoil pad.

What I don't like:

Barrel is threaded on the outside for a compensator, and I don't know where to find aftermarket chokes.

I would like to have had one more round capacity.

Two hundred rounds so far and I have no complaints. I have not shot slugs or Buckshot through it yet. The actions is very smooth and the gun seems to built very well.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A slight thread drift, but IMHO-

Certain matches dictate that you must have a barrel no longer than a 22", and that the magazine tube cannot extend more than 1 " beyond the barrel, etc. I just don't get it-where do we make this stuff up? What is the logic behind this? Anyone????

That rule is from the days of the old SOF 3 gun match. That is what the tactical gurus at SOF deemed to be the dimensional limits for a real fighting shotgun. I guess you are not tactical enough to appreciate their divine wisdom. :P

I guess it is as good of a rule as any although I would prefer mag capacity restrictions (8+1 for limited/tactical and none for open). If a guy wants to have a tactical shotgun with a 30 inch barrel I say let them.

I would have thought the 870 would be the ruler of this class but you guys have me thinking ......

Ah yes oh wise prosecutor-but there are still matches out there (big ones/good ones) that have this restriction. I guess I was going high side because a competitor with a 20" barrel that has a 8 + 1 mag tube would not meet the "no more than 1' longer" rule. That is BS! Sorry, lost my mind there for a minute. Must be the weather-oh did I mention I was TDY down in Florida?? B)

Sgt....

After much trial and error, then some research, I decided on the HK Fabarm FP6 pump. This will be for the HM division.

What I liked:

20" barrel.

Adjustable Ghost Ring fiber-optic sights.

Weaver rail. (if you are interested in optics)

Extra large safety button.

7+1 capacity with the Choate extension.

Short stock with Pistol grip. Makes for faster handling and weakhand reloads.

Bolt unlocks just like the Winchester 1300.

Very easy disassembly.

Very nice recoil pad.

What I don't like:

Barrel is threaded on the outside for a compensator, and I don't know where to find aftermarket chokes.

I would like to have had one more round capacity.

Two hundred rounds so far and I have no complaints. I have not shot slugs or Buckshot through it yet. The actions is very smooth and the gun seems to built very well.

I Have an FP6. 24'' barrel, external choke tubes(ALL 4 CAME WITH GUN) Choate mage tube extension 8+1.

My action is very smooth, but i am still going to take the dremel to it and see if can make it even better. Have you done anything to yours, internally??? and can you get any aftermarket bits for them??? Or did you by it as you listed it.

The mag spring that came with the extension tube seems VERY tight and makes it hard to do weak hand reloads.

Any info greatfully received.

Ian.

Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection (see Favorite Links on Schennberg.com) has extended tubes for Benelli M1 and Remington 870, for either 8-shell (Standard) or 10-shell (Open) capacity. For the Remington 870 12 guage with extended tube for 8-shell capacity, the shortest barrel currently in production that will be longer than the tube is 23". Somehow, the least expensive model currently available new (REM 5106 870 EXP 12 3.5 23 RC TKY BLK) has 3.5" chambers. It will also shoot 2.75" and 3" shells, so this should be O.K.

Is there any drawback to a pump shotgun with 3.5" chambers if I am only going to shoot 2.75" shells?

Thanks,

Richard

IanLock:

My shotgun came as is except for the Choate mag. extension. My action was pretty smooth from the start but I did take a dremel to it last night and it really made a difference. I was hoping to find some aftermarket choke tubes but so far no luck.

Are the your choke tubes threaded on the inside, or the outside? My barrel is threaded on the outside and it has an end that screws on. I assume is to protect the threads.

The aftermarket magazine spring feels the same as the factory one to me. Does not feel overly hard.

I really like mine and have been doing a lot of dry fire drills and reloading practice with dummy rounds. So far so good. Trying to get ready for a possible 3-gun shoot on April 10th.

Good luck.

Sgt

Yes my barrel is threaded on the outside, come with a thread protecter like you describe.

Im going to try an old remy cut down spring in mine and see if it makes life any easier with the reloads.

I have seen the chokes for it at AGR.com give them a try if you need replacment parts, thay seem to have a great deal of Fabarm bits and bobs.

Regards

Ian.

For the lightest fastest pump I like the Ithaca model 37. I pick up a old prison model 8 shot added a choate pistol grip stock, plus switched it to lefty safety. It the old model with slam fire. Just hold the trigger down and pump away.

Remington reduced recoil slugs, make it pleasent to shoot. Way faster than my 1187.

I like my 870s...

I think the 870 has the smoothest action of all the pumps, and it is the most well made...your mileage may vary.

Very nice, :D:D:D:D

is that all Cav arms furniture?? ;)

VERY NICE bit of kit.!!! :D:wub:

• 4 months later...

Been thinking of getting a pump. I was thinking of an 870 till I did a search here. The BPS has me thinking real hard (thats tough for me). The pictures I've seen here are sweet. Has anyone here used one for 3 gun?, Been holding up well with 3 gun mods? no problems with the extended tubes? anyone put different types of iron sights on one? just general type questions.

I handled one at a store (I know that really doesn't count) and it was smooth. Used ones seem to be going for a decent price. If I was to get a new one which model should I buy to modify for 3 gun?

Thanks

Not for 3-Gun exclusively, but for a bedside and/or utility gun, my old beat up Winchester 1300 Defender in basic black is about a perfect a "tactical" pump gun as I've found.

Full size synthetic stock, little brass bead front sight, no fancy ribs, shields, or other "tactical devices" other than a short barrel, and 8 round capacity.

Not sexy, but it works. And always will.

• 2 months later...