Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open gun, maybe a Bedell

jostein jensen

Being a Norway resident, I have somewhat limited choices for guns.

They consist of stock Sti's, Svi's and importing myself. For price comparison, a Trubor costs the equivalent of 4700 USD, an Svi open 6700 USD.

Importing a gun from the US costs an extra 500-550 USD for paperwork and shipping, plus 25% tax on the whole price. So a Bedell ends up around the same as a Trubor.

Problem with importing is if something goes wrong with it. Its very difficult, not to say impossible to get a gun back to the US for fixup.

How many of you guys with custom guns had any issues with it, that wasn't due to magazines and normal wear, but production error? I know everyone says get a gun from a smith, and never worry, but is it really like that?

What other builders would you suggest in the same price range as bedell, or are there none?

JJ.

JJ,

I have had excellent service from my bedell. It is a shorty in 9mm and so far I have approximately 35 thousand rounds without any problems at all. I have complete confidence that if I feed it quality ammo, it will run at the extreme end of reliability.

As far as a builder, my experience with Dan and Chuck was exceptional as well. They both went to great lengths to help me learn the options and then choose the options that would be most beneficial to me.

I do know there are other smith's who have great reputations however my experience with Dan and Chuck is my only custom gun experience.

Good luck, Craig

JJ,

I have had excellent service from my bedell. It is a shorty in 9mm and so far I have approximately 35 thousand rounds without any problems at all. I have complete confidence that if I feed it quality ammo, it will run at the extreme end of reliability.

As far as a builder, my experience with Dan and Chuck was exceptional as well. They both went to great lengths to help me learn the options and then choose the options that would be most beneficial to me.

I do know there are other smith's who have great reputations however my experience with Dan and Chuck is my only custom gun experience.

Good luck, Craig

++++++++++1

I have had my Bedell for about a year, It just runs and runs, when I first got the gun, I would jam once in a while, Dan was extremely helpful on the phone, He said 99% of the time its ammo related, he spent the time going over everything I should look at regarding my ammo, And of course he was right, My sizing dies was not resing the cases. Once I replaced that, the gun runs 100%

I would recommend one

Yup, Dan is my top choice. He builds awesome guns that run plus if you want to be a little different he will accomodate his customers in giving them what they want.

Great guy, great service and even better gun!

Another happy Bedell (shorty in 38SC) owner here....mine has been flawless. I had one issue with a magazine that would sometimes not feed the next to last round, but a new spring and follower cured it immediately.

I would put Dan at the top of my list if I was ordering a gun tomorrow. In fact, there are three guys in our club that have Bedell Open guns and they all run and run and run.

I have a Bedell Spitfire for limited and a Bedell 5" Open gun in 38 SC. One problem with the open gun. The link broke at the centerline of the slide stop hole. Called Dan and he told me he would fit a new one no charge the day he received it AND ship it back the same day. Stuff does happen but I couldn't ask for faster service. Thinking of ordering a shorty from him. Both guns run flawlessly.

CYa,

Pat

Tis been already said likely enough, but another ++++1 for Dan Bedell. As posted as feedback on Chuck Bradley's site, while dry firing, missed my holster & dropped the gun on its nose jamming the slide back breaching the back strap & wedging the hammer. A quick call to Dan had the gun back to him the next day. Dan turned the gun back around the next day & had it in time to shoot a match that day! Great service & great gun!

I have Bedell shorty super-comp that I bought used off the these forums. It has been absolutely reliable. I also had an opportunity to contact Dan even thought I did not buy this gun from him he was very helpful both thru email and the phone. That is service! The gun besides being 100% reliable is just gorgus to look at.

It is a no brainer buy one from Dan Bedell and be sure you have the best,

dcalvert

On decision between 5" & Shorty, went with the latter based on strong suggestion to do so from Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection. Mine has the Bedell steel comp (avatar pic). Theory is that the gun can be transitioned slightly better. Argument is that due to lighter weight, can respond more violently to recoil.

Level of recoil is really controlled with the handload used. After advice from several sources (not to mention trying to save a few $$$ on powder) went with SR7625, 7.7-grs. under a 125-gr. Zero FMJ (38 Super). Gun shoot pretty flat & dot never leaves Cmore lens. Powder shoots clean & leaves little residue in comp or blowholes.

Played around a little this year with standard guide rod & recoil spring vs. STI RecoilMaster that was shipped & installed with the gun. Jury still out on this, although the gun did seem to function a little better without the RM.

My $.02 worth.

Edited by riden

I have a shorty with the Titanium comp and love it. However if I were to do it again tomorrow I would go with the 5 inch gun and a Titanium comp (maybe ask Dan to keep the gun the same weight as a shorty). I don't think there would be that much difference with respect to transition and the extra barrel gives you some cushion on load development and powder selection.

Being a Norway resident, I have somewhat limited choices for guns.

They consist of stock Sti's, Svi's and importing myself. For price comparison, a Trubor costs the equivalent of 4700 USD, an Svi open 6700 USD.

Importing a gun from the US costs an extra 500-550 USD for paperwork and shipping, plus 25% tax on the whole price. So a Bedell ends up around the same as a Trubor.

Problem with importing is if something goes wrong with it. Its very difficult, not to say impossible to get a gun back to the US for fixup.

How many of you guys with custom guns had any issues with it, that wasn't due to magazines and normal wear, but production error? I know everyone says get a gun from a smith, and never worry, but is it really like that?

What other builders would you suggest in the same price range as bedell, or are there none?

JJ.