Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P 9mm

Chris iliff

Read all 28 pages of M&P, whew...! If you are shooting the M&P 9mm in USPSA Production I'd like to know .... 1. How many matches used? 2. Your thoughts on gun. 3. Stuff you've done to gun,....trigger, sights, holsters, mag pouches, etc. Anything helpful!

Been shooting the MP 9 in approx. 2 matches per month for the last 3-4 months. Has proven to be quite reliable.

Home grown trigger job, Blade Tec DOH holster, CR speed pouches, both set up on a CR Speed belt, 13 lb glock recoil spring, .1 width front sight, Warren Tactial rears, and TruGrip.

Have gone over 1000 rounds between cleanings, with no issues. Mags need to be kept clean though.

Thanks, that's good info and just what I was looking for in a response. I'm leaning towards the M&P as I handled one and was impressed with the mag release and the grip angle. The Glocks are great, I have two, a 17L and a 35, but on both, even with the extended mag release I have to shift my hand ever so slightly. The M&P with the medium grip attached felt perfect.

Keep the answers coming.

Edited by fourtrax

home done trigger job

Dawson FO front sight

Painted over the white dots in the rear sight blade.

there are two versions out there, get the one that will allow you to fire without the mag, this will save you some trouble at the "Unload and show clear."

I shot 1400 rounds in one weekend through mine, reloads and WWB, not a single problem.

I've been using mine since it was issued to me in August of 2006. I liked it so much I went out and bought one of my own so I could do the things I wanted to do to it. I had the trigger worked down to about 3 1/2 lbs by the range staff with my department, a 13 lb recoil spring, Dawson front and stock rear (but will be switching to a dawson rear as well), CR speed belt and mag pouches. +1 on shootingchef's advice about the mag disconnect. Our department went with the mag disconnect and it serves its purpose from a law enforcement standpoint but it has no advantage in competition. Also, you may have to do some work to get the CR speed mag pouches to work. I tried the Glock inderts but they were too small. I had to take the others and file them down to the correct size but it's worth it. The mag pouches work great.

I followed the PDF by Dan Burwell for some trigger work it's about 3.5-4 pounds now. Warren Tactical Rear and Speed Shooters Specialties front fiber, fiber blacked out. ( i really can't use them for some reason) Large Grip on it. bare no skate tape yet even. which is a first, i ALWAYS tape the crap out of my guns.

Holster is the value pack holster "revolution" by blade tech. and a $5 or 10$ dropped and offset adapter. CR speed mag pouches. 10 round mags for the first 3 and a couple high caps too.

I love the gun the grip fits me perfectly have had very few malfunctions and 99% of those were my bad reloads i was shooting in practice. Shot it most of the season with WWB for match ammo. I have about 3500 through it probabaly, I am now on to a 45 for the winter months until the single stack classic.

My thoughts are it's the most efficient way to get into production, you can buy the kit. ( gun 3 mags holster and double mag pouch) VERY reasonably without the mag safety too.

I've been using one for production since spring 2007. The pistol has performed well. I've also loaned it to a new shooter for a couple of matches and he did well with it (the young man is interested, has potential, and I'm nurturing it).

It has a sweet 3lb trigger job with a short reset and no overtravel. Sights are a narrow dawson fiber optic front with dawson rear. Holster and mag pouches are made by kytac; they work well. Honestly, I'm the weak link in the package, but focused practice will cure that problem.

I have been using mine in competition for the last couple of months. I too followed the Dan Burwell instructions for a home trigger job. Blacked out the factory sights, put on some Tru-Grip and was good to go. I will caution you that if you are going to do a lot of dryfire, get a snap cap. I broke my striker a few weeks ago during a match. Fortunately, S&W (with Julie's help) sent me two replacements. I will not dryfire without a snap cap from now on. When the 5" .40 comes out (eventually) I am going to set one up for Limited.

on my M&P40, Ive dryfired tens of thousands of times , put 12+k of major ammo though the original striker; I never use snap caps. I have the "imporved" striker that comes with the newer rev. N guns.

Oh yeah, I pimped my trigger out for limited; pinned trigger, pretravel stop, bla blas blah....

The shooters that won HOA and 1st B in production at the Monster Match and the Florida Sectional shot M&P's. :D

Blade-tech DO holster and Blade-tech mag pouches, C.R. Speed belt. Warren Tactical rear sight ans SSS fiber front at .185 hight and .100 wide. 39 oz. trigger is as light as I can get it for a production gun but I'll get it lighter for a Limited gun when I can use set screws (Hey Nemo?). Actually, I have to say that Nemo has the best M&P trigger I've ever pulled :bow: and I've pulled Burwells, Langdon's, Mooney's, mine and others.

Fourtrax,

Where are you located? Most folks are happy to show/let you send a few downrange post-match. I am shooting an M&P .40 in Limited with a Dawson FO front, Mooney Trigger, Areredondo +5 mag extensions, SS guide rod with 13# recoil spring, and a Bladetech Revolution DOH. I am stuck using the factory striker spring, as the lighter one I have refuses to detonate Magtech or Wolf primers on a regular basis. Works great with Federal primers when I can get them, though.

I am stuck using the factory striker spring, as the lighter one I have refuses to detonate Magtech or Wolf primers on a regular basis. Works great with Federal primers when I can get them, though.

what lighter one are you using?

It was a lighter striker spring...I forget the weight. It was one that G Mooney put in it when he did the trigger work. It took almost a full lb. off, but the tradeoff was quite a few more misfires with harder primers. I simply put the factory one back in, and haven't looked back.

NOTE: Pedro didn't change any springs for the job on my MP40. No need to change springs for a nice trigger.

So what kind of pull is Pedro getting down to, without changing springs?

In my M&P40 Limited, he was able to get close to 2lb. Actually, the gunsmith at Gander Mountain measured it with a digital trigger pull scale and the average of 3 pulls was 1lb 10oz.

1,000 rounds later the trigger job is holding just fine, thank you.

NOTE: Pedro didn't change any springs for the job on my MP40. No need to change springs for a nice trigger.

So what kind of pull is Pedro getting down to, without changing springs?

In my M&P40 Limited, he was able to get close to 2lb. Actually, the gunsmith at Gander Mountain measured it with a digital trigger pull scale and the average of 3 pulls was 1lb 10oz.

1,000 rounds later the trigger job is holding just fine, thank you.

Im very curious; When I remove the rear sear block, leave the trigger bar in place and measure the force required to pull the trigger back to the point that which the sear would engage, Im looking at about 3 pounds just from the trigger return sping.

He must have bent the sping tab on the trigger bar or something.

I put a reduced power spring on mine and I have a pull of exactly 3#.

Very little of that amount goes towards disengaging the sear.

Id be very curious to see what exeryone has come up with on their own, across the country to work on this pistol.

The on-line DIY job only covers about 60% of what should/could be done.

Im very curious; When I remove the rear sear block, leave the trigger bar in place and measure the force required to pull the trigger back to the point that which the sear would engage, Im looking at about 3 pounds just from the trigger return sping.

He must have bent the sping tab on the trigger bar or something.

I put a reduced power spring on mine and I have a pull of exactly 3#.

Very little of that amount goes towards disengaging the sear.

Id be very curious to see what exeryone has come up with on their own, across the country to work on this pistol.

The on-line DIY job only covers about 60% of what should/could be done.

PM inbound