Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 Jam-a-matic

pbosik

i have a new SP01 custom, shot it 4-500 rds, it seems like after 75 + rds or a few stages the stove pipe type jams start,,u cant just rack the slide as there is another bullet trying hard to get into the barrel..So the procedure is drop the mag pull back the slide shake so all the stuff falls out, reinset old/new mag and rack slide,,back in buis. for how long??? who knows?? really frustrating..i am gonna send it back to builder this week for fix..any body else have this problem..it was supposed to be top of the line all the stuff done to it... <_<

i have a new SP01 custom, shot it 4-500 rds, it seems like after 75 + rds or a few stages the stove pipe type jams start,,u cant just rack the slide as there is another bullet trying hard to get into the barrel..So the procedure is drop the mag pull back the slide shake so all the stuff falls out, reinset old/new mag and rack slide,,back in buis. for how long??? who knows?? really frustrating..i am gonna send it back to builder this week for fix..any body else have this problem..it was supposed to be top of the line all the stuff done to it... <_<

Call the builder and describe the problem and maybe they can help you. You may want to try some different ammo also. I have an SP-01 and the only function problems I had was the top round of the mag getting dragged forward so the mag would not drop free (polish the disconnector rail on the slide and break the edge of that rail at the bolt face) and some feed problems that came from not cleaning out the extractor well after ~3500 rounds.

Later,

Chuck

After fighting a CZ75B which developed that problem, all I can tell you is get it replaced. Mine developed that problem after about 20k rounds and no matter what I did I could never get rid of it for good. The only think that made the problem hide was using nickle plated brass. I've replaced every part except the slide and frame and that problem still appeared every now and then. CZ didn't have a clue, no one seemed to know a fix.

There are things you can do make the problem happen less, like use better mag springs, bevel the angle between the breach face and the underside of the slide, use an extra power extractor spring, keep the gun VERY clean, etc. All of those will make the problem show up less but not go away. I'm sorry to say but thats what made me switch guns, and make my CZ a plinking gun. And I really really liked my CZ.

Sorry I don't have a solution for you. If you find one, I would love to know it.

pbosik--

Just an idea for you. I've been shooting an SP-01 for a while and had one that had the exact same problem. It usually happened when I was shooting light production loads. I'd get that same weird stovepipe/FTE on occasion. I tried just about everything to fix it... What finally worked was to recut the ejector. If you look at the ejector, sometimes the angle cut isn't sufficient. I recut (with a file) the angle so that it's now angled down, back, and towards the ejection port and all my problems went away. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.czshooters.com/forum/viewtopic....hlight=guidance

Good luck (pm for more info)

Edited by Z-man

i think z-man is correct, if u look at the ejection port lower part where it is cut on a angle there is a 1/4 " mark where the finish is completely missing like it has been knocked off, not worn off, chipped off,,like a paint chip, i suspect the ejector angle is incorrect and the brass is hitting there...my load is 135 zero, 3.4 clays and 1.110 oal... aprox 130 p.f. thanks guys..

MY SP01 Custom Shop came from Angus Hobdell and has been issue free so far. The only adjustment that I had to make was to replace the mainspring to be able to shoot harder primers {Magtech}. Other than that, it is capable of shooting way above my abilities at this time. Good luck!

Like I said, give that ejector a sharp angle out to the ejection port and I'd bet it'll work like a champ. On just about every ejector I've seen there is a different angle that looks just as you described. Let me know how it turns out.

just checking in on this..

Z-man.. has a good way to try..

go through it methodically...check your extractor..check your extractor tension..check your mags..followers and springs..

of the half dozen CZs..that I have had and played with..one of my SP01s was the only one to have this issue..

recutting the ejector solved it and this gun has been beautiful ever since..

Vlad..yours is first I have heard of not being able to correct..very frustrating..sounds like the mystery 1911 problems..that used to pop up....

Have you changed the recoil spring back to the OEM?

My tuned SP01 via Matt Mink has run 7K, without problems, other than needing federal primers. Sensitive to the safety too. Wish I had the SA style safeties but for 150 bucks...have to wait.

I've got an SP-01 last year, fired almost 5K rounds with it, and then I decided to sell it ...

Well, I can't say that it isn't a good gun, nor I want to discourage nobody that owns it but .... I suffered a series of little problems with it (not impossible things to solve, but I've had to fight against them for several weeks ...) :angry2::angry2::angry2:

During this experience, the MAIN problem for me was the impossibility to get spare parts in normal times from the local official importer & reseller ....

As an example I waited 3 MONTHS to have only an extractor !

Due to this absurd situation I was thinking to get a complete kit of spare parts oversea, but after I decided to sell the gun and to get another one from a local brand, who is famous not only in Italy but all over the world for his excellent customer care.

;););)

In other world, for me it isn't only the gun, but also the customer care that it MUST be behind it !

Particularly for IPSC shooting, when the stress for the gun is bigger than anything else !

IMHO

Edited by Stefano

availability of parts is really important..

and if parts weren't available I probably wouldn't shoot the SP01 either..

at this time..it is about the best gun i have shot for production..it offers good weight and balance. it fits my hand superbly, its relatively inexpensive and I can find spare parts for it.

spare parts is probably the reason for now I am staying away from the XD and the MP.. and the thing that impresses me about the Glock and the Beretta. CZ in the US is getting better..Angus, Matt and CZ-USA are the sources of parts..and most anything can be had from them..

availability of parts is really important..

and if parts weren't available I probably wouldn't shoot the SP01 either..

at this time..it is about the best gun i have shot for production..it offers good weight and balance. it fits my hand superbly, its relatively inexpensive and I can find spare parts for it.

spare parts is probably the reason for now I am staying away from the XD and the MP.. and the thing that impresses me about the Glock and the Beretta. CZ in the US is getting better..Angus, Matt and CZ-USA are the sources of parts..and most anything can be had from them..

Yea, try getting parts from Springfield for an XD. SP01 recoils much softer than the XD as well. We're lucky in the US having Angus and Matt getting parts to shooters.

• 1 month later...

Mine is exactly the same. Had some work done on it and it has a 14lbs recoil spring in it now, but that didn't seem to help. (Had the same FTE issue before I had work done on it)

FTEs and mag issues (CZ 10 round mags) so far... this gun hasn't really done well in it's intended G34 replacement role.

I'll give it another try with an 11 lbs recoil spring, and if that doesn't work, I'll probably start using this gun as an anchor weight, since that seems to be the only thing it's good for. :/

Edited by gose

The factory magazine springs were the cause of a ton of jams from hell with my SP01 Custom. Within a couple of dozen times being loaded half full, the springs were shot. The +10% springs fixed this. I had a completely erratic ejection issue as well, but once again, a simple heavier ejector spring resolved the issue.

Factory support has been, so far, ...erratic. Mike at CZ-USA sent me an extra ejector spring immediately upon my website message to CZ, and that was appreciated. No note, no response to my other issues at all...just a spring and a business card in the envelope. :(

My pistol is SEXY, and a natural pointer. I am counting heavily upon more experienced CZ owners for support, as CZ USA apparently hasn't planned for the demand here stateside. Another positive use of the friggin internet. ;)

Gose, before you chuck it in the water, let me know, as I am looking for a backup :P

I don't know if this can help you

I had a Tanfoglio with the same problem, i tried everything (springs, extractor etc etc.) the problem where brass.

The pistol jammed only during match. I usually use brass reloaded until they last for training and once fired brass for match.

My range was selling MFS ammo so i had the opportunity to pick a lot of once fired 9x21 MFS brass and i thinked was a smart move to use them only for match (to have better reliability).

To be short, sorting brass i noticed that the FTE where ONLY with MFS brass.

Pheraphs you can try using different brass.

I hope this helps.

I am not having the failure in the extract/eject mod but in the reeload with a new mag. I some time shoot the gun in a local Idpa(dont ask) match and when reloading from slide lock it will jamm/failure ot feed/nose dive. I thought maybe it was a 10 round in the mag issue and tried it on a full mag after the match and it did the same. Now it only has this problem from slide lock. I was running factory remington ammo that I purchased at Dicks for 7bucks/box. I tried a friend reload loaded just a little longer and the problem went away. So I gues the gun is oal sensitive for reloading? I have talked to another local guy with a spo1 and he has had similar problems. My spo1 is the custom model from angus and other than this issue with the remington ammo, it has been excellent.

When a bunch of us played with CZ/TZ guns in the 1990s, we found out some things. Don't know if all [or any] of these apply, but they are true enough on many CZ75-pattern guns:

-- The slide speed is very high on any cz75 gun. If your mag springs aren't strong enough to move your ammo up to the feed lips FAST, you'll have problems.

-- Once you get the mag springs strong enough, you might find your nice light recoil spring is now not closing the slide all the way & you have to up the slide spring. Or it doesn't cycle all the way back & you need a LIGHTER slide spring. Now you have to experiment at the range.

-- With several spring combinations, you might develop problems getting a full cycle: brass barely ejects & next round dies on the feed ramp.

-- The above problem can be solved by locking the wrists and hanging on with a STRONG grip in both hands. This can be a tough habit to get into, takes a lot of dry fire to re-learn. Better yet is to get the recommended setup from Angus, Matt, or Henning.

-- 4 things that can help the slide move as fast as it wants to:

1] load or buy the longest ammo that will work in your gun

2] polish the insides of your mags & use a silicone rag to keep them slick inside

3] polish the heck out of your feed ramp

4] make sure your rounds slide up under the extractor without any major friction or "bump" - you may have to round some corners & polish here too.

HTH

Edited by eric nielsen

My plain vanilla CZ75 "pre-B" had failures to extract or eject similar to the O.P.

CZUSA sold me a new extractor and spring that cured it. They charged me because so many people had complained just to get spares that they quit sending them out free. Still only $13 then.

Took the gun down to the range tonight and it looks like giving the ejector a work-over actually helped. Need to do some more testing, but hopefully the anchor threat and my filing was enough for my gun to get its act together... :D