Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using large rifle primers in 45acp is it ok?

GentlemanJim

I have lots of large rifle primers...and NO large pistol primers.

At this time primers are hard to find ...and I suddenly have a great need to load lots of 45acp

Can I use the rifle primers in 45 or will I create some problem I am not aware of.

I use small rifle primers in pistol with no ill effects.

Thanks for any input!!

Jim

Small Rifle and Small Pistol are usually exact same size. Large Rifle sometimes a little taller than Large Pistol and need deeper primer pocket . I always been told not to use them. I am sure some more knowledgeable than I ,will chime in.

SAAMI defines large rifle primers with a height of 0.123" to 0.133".

Large pistol primers are defined as 0.115" to 0.125".

The large rifle primer also has a bit more priming compound.

Overall, best to stay with large pistol primers where called for. Unless you deepen the primer pockets you risk a slamfire (autos) or binding the cylinder (revolvers).

Cases for revolvers that have had the primer pocket deepened will likely then not work with pistol primers because of the deepened primer pocket.

Guy

Well I popped a primer out of an old case...and it seems it is about .011 shorter than a rifle primer <_<

the advice is correct ...its a no no

I guess I will have to find some pistol primers .

need to shoot a few k to bone up ...I cant let the Zman beat me like a red haired stepchild :blink:

Thanks guys!

Jim :)

Well I popped a primer out of an old case...and it seems it is about .011 shorter than a rifle primer <_<

need to shoot a few k to bone up ...I cant let the Zman beat me like a red haired stepchild :blink:

Thanks guys!

Geez, LAST NIGHT we agree to meet at Dawn in January, and youa re already gettin' ready! Get a life, and give me some slack, I am werkin' and can't practice :surprise:

Thanks guys!

Geez, LAST NIGHT we agree to meet at Dawn in January, and youa re already gettin' ready! Get a life, and give me some slack, I am werkin' and can't practice :surprise:

You call what you do WERK?????????? :P

Jim needs to practice, being a Senior division shooter that shoots an open gun. He needs to find what glasses will make that bumpy thing on the front of the gun somewhat in focus.

:excl::excl:

At this time primers are hard to find ...and I suddenly have a great need to load lots of 45acp

Can I use the rifle primers in 45 or will I create some problem I am not aware of.

Thanks for any input!!

Jim

MY understanding is that all rifle primers have a heavier or thicker shell to withstand the heavier strike of a rifle firing pin. A friend had some rounds loaded with rifle primers at a match afew months back. shot 1 stage OK and then started having no-fires with a good firing pin strike. Stripped the pistol down and checked things. found nothing, changed to ammo with pistol primmers and had no further trouble. Save em for rifle rounds if you want reliability!

Be Safe

B.scrib_nm

:excl::excl:

Thanks for any input!!

Jim

Don't know how to cancel this duplicate post. Sorry. HELP!!!!!!!

Edited by b.s._nm

Large rifle primers have several differences from large pistol primers:

Longer cup as mentioned earlier;

Thicker cup and/or harder brass, not to stand the firing pin blow, but to stay put under rifle level pressures. Rifles run up to about 70,000 psi while the most that large pistols see is about 44 Magnum and 10mm, which is around 45,000 psi. So the sturdier cup ends up requiring the stouter firing pin strike;

More primer mix, and sometimes a more aggressive mix too;

So, your loads would need to be backed off a little, your ammo might give slam fires, and they may not fire in your gun.

You did the right thing. Give the rifle primers to someone who uses them in rifle ammunition. Now small rifle primers in small pistol ammo works fine in my gun even with a lighter mainspring than US Army Ordnance selected a century ago.

Billski

As was previously mentioned, a friend at the range mixed in some large primers in his 45 loads a year or so ago. The firing pin was not strong enough to detonate the rounds.

Made for some very colourful words when the heat was on. ;)