Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The locking of "I HATE" gun control threads

chp5

IMO, this is the best forum on the Internet in many ways.

However, I hate the fact that we are group of shooters and competitors and, when a member starts a “I HATE THREAD” on issues of ridicules gun control laws (e.g. Arnold AKA Girely Man), that the thread gets locked.

I understand that the forum rules prohibit political postings. However, we will not have a sport or our gun-related freedoms if ridicules gun control efforts continue. These are issues that can directly affect us and our sport.

I am 100% confident that we shooters, as a demographic, are one of the most law-abiding groups around. Are we so politically correct that it’s become impermissible to stick up for our rights and sport?

If so, we are joining our society’s cowardly march toward relativism and allowing a paternalistic government to infringe the rights of law-abiding citizens for the “greater good” – and that I HATE.

Please don’t lock this thread.

IMO, this is the best forum on the Internet in many ways.

However, I hate the fact that we are group of shooters and competitors and, when a member starts a “I HATE THREAD” on issues of ridicules gun control laws (e.g. Arnold AKA Girely Man), that the thread gets locked.

I understand that the forum rules prohibit political postings. However, we will not have a sport or our gun-related freedoms if ridicules gun control efforts continue. These are issues that can directly affect us and our sport.

I am 100% confident that we shooters, as a demographic, are one of the most law-abiding groups around. Are we so politically correct that it’s become impermissible to stick up for our rights and sport?

If so, we are joining our society’s cowardly march toward relativism and allowing a paternalistic government to infringe the rights of law-abiding citizens for the “greater good” – and that I HATE.

Please don’t lock this thread.

+1

Agreed

I think politics that directy affect our sport...or gun ownership in general.

Should be allowed to be discussed here.

However due to the nature af that beast...it would require responsible self control and close moderation.

Jim

Unfortunately political discussion tends to get very passionate. It's bad enough talking about it with siblings! It's funny how a group with a common interest such as this will have diverse opinions on the common interest. Talk about some proposed legislation with hard core shotgunners. They don't care about your pistols or heaven forbid, AR.

Is this thread closed yet?

I hope I don't get your thread closed by disagreeing with you Cy, but we don't need gun politics discussed here. It is, after all, preaching to the choir. A reference to a news item might be good to spread the word but we don't need to argue the case, we just need to see what we need to see....

I hope I don't get your thread closed by disagreeing with you Cy, but we don't need gun politics discussed here. It is, after all, preaching to the choir.

Is it? I am passionate about the 2nd and my opposition to gun control. But just because people on this forum compete with pistols, rifles and shotguns does not mean they, ipso facto, are opposed to gun control. Look at how many hunters have no problem with gun control, or who take the stance that "I don't shoot pistols I shoot a rifle" when gun control ala pistols in brought up.

Too many think it can't happen here, and that is head in the sand. Preach to the choir, sing to the choir, call the choir out for a recital. Talk about it loud, long and often. We do need to talk about it.

That all being said, as a private forum, Brian and the admin/mods can do what they want. That is their RIGHT, just like the 2nd is mine.

I hope I don't get your thread closed by disagreeing with you Cy, but we don't need gun politics discussed here. It is, after all, preaching to the choir. A reference to a news item might be good to spread the word but we don't need to argue the case, we just need to see what we need to see....

+1

Just post the proposed new law or something (indicate if it is Federal or just State-wide) without commentary and then close it off.

If people want to take action they can, but there is no point discussing it as we are all pretty much on the same page with regard to this stuff anyway.

How about just keeping this forum about shooting? It seems like this forum is inundated with more non shooting stuff than anywhere else and it seems to come from the same people.

+1 to the above.

Cy, there are no fewer than 10x101000000000 political forums on the net where we can blow off steam. The Enos forums happens to be one that we cannot.

Since everybody likes to read locked threads...and maybe not the rules so much...I thought I'd copy the Hate forum rules here for ease of viewing.

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

The Hate forum was created and is intended as a place to vent or rant, period.

General or supportive-related comments are not prohibited; however - rebuttals are specifically prohibited.

Or in other words: If you don't agree with someone's rant - keep it to yourself.

Add the word "CLOSED" as the last line in your INITIAL post, if you do not want anyone to reply in your thread. A moderator will then lock your thread. (You can also PM a moderator, if you'd like your post locked immediately.)

New Hate Criteria (10.12.05):

Hate rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, the NRA, or Match Directors - are NOT PERMITTED.

If your hate rant has to do with shooting then it needs to be directed towards yourself.

I'm sorry for this restriction, which may restrict a few reasonable hate rants. Overall, the moderating staff does not feel it's appropriate for the forum's content or well being in general.

NOTE: At a Moderator's discretion, Hate rants may be locked at any time after the initial post.

As posted in the Forum's general guidelines -

This forum was not created or intended as a place to discuss or debate political issues of any kind - either IPSC, USPSA, or governmental. This includes Hate rants.

Thanks!

be

While we have everyone's attention for a moment (locked threads really draw a crowd, don't they?) I'll piggy-back on Flex's Hate rule reminder with a small excerpt from the General Forum guidelines, available at the top of every page:

Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government

Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.