Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip tape on slide OK for production?

condoor

I have a G19 and ordered a grip tape kit that had two pieces of tape pre-cut that go on either side of the rear of the slide. I've searched quite a bit and it seems that this would be an illegal modification for a production gun, but I was hoping for some clarification.

BTW - First post. Thx for the great forum.

-another newb

Edited by condoor

I have a G19 and ordered a grip tape kit that had two pieces of tape pre-cut that go on either side of the rear of the slide. I've searched quite a bit and it seems that this would be an illegal modification for a production gun, but I was hoping for some clarification.

-another newb

Welcome to the forum. No clarification is necessary: it ain't legal.

Later,

Chuck

PS: Try out the search function. You will probably find that this has been discussed in the past.

what's the best way to remove grip tape from a slide?!

If it's not on with some sort of 'permanent' (eg: cyanoacrylate) adhesive, the first thought is to try to peel up the tape and see what kind of residue is left. Eric's Tru-Grip adhesive cleans up with isopropyl rubbing alcohol. That should be safe. If that doesn't work or makes the residue worse/'gummy', try something like Goo-Gone -- oily, wipes off with a rag, and shouldn't damage the finish on the slide.

Welcome to the Forums. There's a wealth of knowledge here. From experience, ask around here before making any modifications to the gun. Chances are that somebody else has tried it and can tell you how it works BEFORE you drop the cash on it.

Thanks folks!

So next question - what's the best way to remove grip tape from a slide?! :cheers:

Either alcohol (I prefer 100% denatured in the big can) or brake cleaner work fine. The *best* adhesive remover is actually lighter fluid. If you use it on the grip of the gun, you'll have to follow it up with the alcohol or brake cleaner to remove the petroleum residue, but lighter fluid really is the best. Cheap too...

-another newb

I heard the same thing, stick to http://www.brookstactical.com/

One of my friends got bumped to open at the nationals for grip tape on the slide despite shooting previous major matches with it on.

A perfect example of why the rules need followed and enforced from the local level on up.

One of my friends got bumped to open at the nationals for grip tape on the slide despite shooting previous major matches with it on.

A perfect example of why the rules need followed and enforced from the local level on up.

;)

The forecast for my first match Sunday is crap: 40 degrees, 50% chance of snow and 15-25 mph winds. I may wuss out and shoot my first match the next weekend instead. :unsure:

Sounds like the weather forecast where I am at. I don't know about you, but I am going shooting.

Grip tape and Glock plugs are responsible for lots of Open shooters from what I see :lol:

I'm curious, why would they bump a Production shooter to Open for these kinds of mods as opposed to bumping them to Limited or Limited 10?

-Cuz.

However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or

other requirements of a declared Division during a course

of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if

available, otherwise the competitor will shoot the match for

no score.

The idea is that someone desiring to cheat, might declare production, using a gun that does not fit the rules. If he is only moved to Lim10, if caught, there is no incentive to stop cheating. He can still place well.

At the same time, most have no desire to cheat, and just don't know the rules. DQ would be too harsh. The rules as they are, gives them an incentive to learn the rules, and make sure their gear is legal.

The idea is that someone desiring to cheat, might declare production, using a gun that does not fit the rules. If he is only moved to Lim10, if caught, there is no incentive to stop cheating. He can still place well.

At the same time, most have no desire to cheat, and just don't know the rules. DQ would be too harsh. The rules as they are, gives them an incentive to learn the rules, and make sure their gear is legal.

Ok, thanks. I wasn't considering it from a "cheating" perspective but rather more of a "help out the new shooter" perspective. I wondered why when they showed up with their "not quite production" gun one of the ROs wouldn't suggest they shoot in Limited or L10 rather then just bump them to open. The rule is there for someone trying to sneak a mod into Production and get away with it.

Now I understand, thanks.

-Cuz.