Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do the need sti 9mm mags still need spacers

timamal

I removed them and when loading long (29,35mm) I have no problems and these rounds also fit my Glocks, so I'm happy without spacers ;-)

If my math is correct, you load to an OAL of 1.156". That's shorter than what I expected for good functioning in an STI magazines. Did you do any tuning to get this to work?

Bill

As for my setup, I am loading my bullets to 1.170 - 1.175 OAL using tuned brazos STI mags with 38 super followers and springs (grams kit) with no problems at all. I have been using this setup for four months now on two major matches and 8 local matches and has been flawless. Prior to this setup, I was using spacers and 9x19 followers and have had jams occasionally due to longer OAL. By the way, HS6 powder maybe a little bit dirty but used it the last two major matches with more than 300 rounds each match and no jams. I don't have to clean the chamber. Hope this helps.DVC

STI mags should have spacers unless the tubes have been re-shaped for use without spacers.

First I've heard of anyone reshaping tubes to eliminate spacers. Does this tube shaping eliminate the need for spacers irregardless of OAL; or more beneficial to those loading to longer OALs? Or, are you referring to just reshaping the feed lips?

Edited by cpty1

If my math is correct, you load to an OAL of 1.156". That's shorter than what I expected for good functioning in an STI magazines. Did you do any tuning to get this to work?

Bill

I had some problems, but when I adjusted the feedlips (they were very W I D E) it all worked and the bullets are now nicely guided by the feedlips and I've shot around 5000 rounds without any problems.

I used to use STI tubes with 9mm followers and spacers and had no issues. But now I am using SVI tubes

with 38 super followers and no spacers and still not having problems. The simpler you can make things

IMO the better, especially for cleaning a dropped mag during match ( one less part to worry about ).

I have 5 mags that are tuned by gramms and they have the spacers welded in the back. They have been 110% reliable in my gun regardless of the amount I load in them. I cannot take a sti mag in 38 either with or without the spacers and get the reliability out of them that the gramms have given me. I know it is not the topic but I have not had any issues with the SVI mags in 38. I have not tried them with spacers as they seem to run fine without the spacers. I am not sure what all is being done by gramms but the tuned mags with the spacer definitely are not holding back my 9mm gun in open or limited. Any problems I have had are almost always attributed to fat brass being miss when case guaging.(Should quit watching tv while case guaging)