Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Cross Country solo

j1b

I've been trying to get my license for a while now. Since March I believe.

As some of you know, there is a process. You start out in a hand holding process until you get better and better. Then you get to a point where you've got to do some solo's.

I actually did my first long solo sometime ago. It was . . . a poor experience. I flew up to Springfield and just wasn't comfortable the whole way up. Had a rougher than I'd like landing up there, had to dance around rain and thunderstorms the whole way back. It was tough. I shouldn't have gone and more importantly, my instructor shouldn't have told me to go.

So months go by. I fly here and there, but work gets busy and I start losing a little edge. And my last big flying experience is leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth. My old instructor leaves and so I figure I'll try someone else.

Took the last 5 days off and have flown my butt off. The first day I worked with him, and he's like - you are just fine. Just a few tweaks and we'll be there. I do another long solo that afternoon in beautiful weather! Goes off without a hitch. Get my progress check (with another instructor) and then the new instructor and I spend some time just tweaking things.

Was supposed to long solo yesterday, but the winds were bad complimented by the possibility of thunderstorms (that didn't come to fruition but wasn't worth the risk). This morning I wake up and start checking things. Winds are high, but everything else looks solid. I voice some concern to my instructor about the winds for landing and he's not even worried. Not even blinking an eye. I figure ok. I'd been doing a lot of landings and they've been getting better every time. So we just went for it.

Took me a few hours to do the flight. I stopped at each airport, got out, grabbed a beer (just kidding!!!!) coke, checked the plane over and chatted with some of the folks. So, from 9:00 to 12:45 I was out doing the aviator thing. Lnadings went fine, navigation could have been a tick better but I was only off a little and it was tough with the high winds (it was blowing out of the south at 25 gusting to 40). The flights to and fro were very bumpy, which was both a little nervy and yet reminded me of Alaska and that felt good.

Got back home, closed the flight plan - was very happy. The process is still a little nerve racking. I'm on edge when I fly making sure everything is going the way it is supposed to. I'm tired right now, and it's too early to start drinking. My confidence level is very high though. My last landing was in 12N winds gusting to 19 and just a touch off the runway heading (very slight crosswind). Landed it fine. Wasn't the best landing of all time, but it was plenty smooth and felt good.

So anyhow, a big day for me. I am on the downhill side of this process. I have to fly a couple more hours, take the written and get ready for the check ride. After that, I'll get the license. Feels VERY good to get over that hill though.

J

Feels VERY good to get over that hill though.

J

Yes it does. Congrats! :cheers:

I know how tough it can be. I have my commercial ticket with multi instrument rating and my CFI. I'm currently a "non-flying" pilot and really miss it. Money just doesn't permit it currently and I wouldn't even THINK of getting in a plane without some refresher training at this point. If you enjoy it, keep up with it!

Congrats!! One of my first x-countrys was also in inclement weather, actually too dangerous for my skill level at that time. After finally getting home, I told my instructor how bad the weather was and he replied "I knew if it was too bad you're smart enough to turn around and come home". Didn'y feel too smart.......

Best advice I can give: Don't break any rules and you'll do fine. Congrats again!

I ain't breakin' no rules Boz! Too much at stake!

Ryan - with all those certs why don't you fly? Everything I'm hearing is that demand for pilots is way up!

Thanks all, been a good day!

J

I got my private license in the mid 80's. Expensive then, prohibitive for me now :(

Gosh, I do like flying.

As for bad weather, my check ride for my license was in awful weather (hurricane in the gulf) and my method of landing in a xwind was to crab until just before landing, straighten out and put it on the ground. My check ride instructor didn't want me to do it that way so I reached back in my bad memory and did a cross-control landing that went fine.

Short of not being able to use the plane after a flight (as in broke) I cannot think of anything bad about flying.

keep it up, it only gets better,

dj

So here's an interesting observation.

Something like 5% of the U.S. population are Private Pilots (or rated higher).

Several in the forum are clearly pilots and that's just those of you who have responded.

So is it an affinity to adventure? Or is it capacity to handle/juggle multiple things?

In business, it isn't unusual to see leadership from different companies, different personalities, different industries have very unique traits in common. Wonder what that bug is for all of us?

J

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :cheers:

I worked as a CFI / endentured servant for a couple of years, and let me tell you the first solo XC may be tough on you, but your instructor probably got ulcers during it.

Oh, the stories I have!! I used to describe my job as "every day I go up in a plane with someone who will most likely try to kill me. If they don't I get $12." :rolleyes:

Edited by dirtypool40

I've heard that exact same thing from the CFI's at the FBO Eric.

That said, my biggest issue has been myself. When I picked up the new CFI, we went on a flight together and he was very impressed out of the gates. I just didn't have the confidence.

After my 2nd "1st Xcountry" I had to do a prog check. The head CFI was walking through some stuff with me and said "I heard you were really good" - we go up for like 45 minutes and he says "turn the plane back home - we're good"

Of course he killed the engine on downwind (like I didn't see that coming) but then said things were really good. Even put a smiley face in my log book.

I realized early this morning that I just needed to do what I know how to do and keep doing what I'm doing. Like shooting, this game is about cautious confidence. Have the ability, and know how to use it, but be very careful so things don't go wrong.

I've learned a lot just from the confidence of the CFI's. Reality is that they've seen things done in a plane I don't ever hope will happen. That an emergency to me is just another day to them.

J

Chet,

What's the other bird? Looks a little bigger - a 152? 172?

One picture is clearly N4951A. The other is N2 . . .

I'm hoping to have my PPL end of month. I want to take my daughter, and then my wife, up to see the fall colors. The lake I flew over today was beautiful!!!!

J

Chet,

What's the other bird? Looks a little bigger - a 152? 172?

One picture is clearly N4951A. The other is N2 . . .

Yeah, it's a 172. I don't remember that one too well. I rented it to do a video project featuring Beth and me before we were married.

-Chet

I've heard that exact same thing from the CFI's at the FBO Eric.

That said, my biggest issue has been myself. When I picked up the new CFI, we went on a flight together and he was very impressed out of the gates. I just didn't have the confidence.

I used to make sure my guys had all the fundamentals down solid and knew to stick to their guns. If you don't know, say so, but know where to find the answer. That's the same for CFI's and higher end guys going for their checks too.

Then once they had all the basics, I threw every curve I could at them, over and over, until it didn't phase them and they could deal with them, while explaining what and why they were doing what was needed. Then by the time they got to the check ride, it was a breeze. Kinda the old "train hard, win easy" thing.

Feel free to pm me any time with questions.

I was so nervous before my checkride that I nearly failed the verbal portion. The flying was the easy part. At one point, the CFI fell asleep.

It got *REAL* interesting when we got back to the field. Some joker took up the 172 with his girlfriend but had forgotten how to land. It was like watching a train wreck unfold. I was almost sure that he was going to plant the SOB or run out of gas trying.

• 2 months later...

After much procrastination I FINALLY took my written tonight.

Yes, life got in the way. Yes I got busy. Yes I had a ton of other things more relevant to do. Self incrimination would certainly indicate just putting the damn thing off.

Well, alas it is off the table - and a huge monkey has been removed off my back.

Got a 92. Not great, not horrible. But good enough.

Going to get my oral and check ride after the holiday -

On the downwind leg now - turning base. Can't wait to screech the tires!!!!!!!!!

J