Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pepper poppers dangerous?

somebody up above wrote:

If your popper is calibrated properly then minor power will knock it down.

<minor b@tch mode on, because 1. I'm new to USPSA and its rules 2. Nobody even attempted to cut me any slack, and hence seemed even less fair>

Check out this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...h&plindex=2

Those were 180 gr. .40 cal bullets PF'ing at 135 (at the match chrono stage later that day).

Oh well... chalk that up to the school of hard knocks.

We NEVER stack poppers in that fashion it PROMOTES "hammering" them to fall. Bad stage design.

Chills with regard to USPSA/IPSC NEVER:

1 React to an "instant" beep after the stand by command as in "stand by-beep"

2. If you KNOW you have nailed a popper and it won't fall stop and call for a calibration.

If the RO was worth a $#!7 he would have stopped you period, even at 30 FPS and a fuzz vid the hits on the calibration circle were evident from your flick.

somebody up above wrote:
If your popper is calibrated properly then minor power will knock it down.

<minor b@tch mode on, because 1. I'm new to USPSA and its rules 2. Nobody even attempted to cut me any slack, and hence seemed even less fair>

Check out this video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...h&plindex=2

Those were 180 gr. .40 cal bullets PF'ing at 135 (at the match chrono stage later that day).

Oh well... chalk that up to the school of hard knocks.

Ugh.

Ugh again. That sucks.

Next time it happens DON'T stop. Finish the stage, then call for the calibration.

That is the exact kind of stage that is being talked about here. That is at a nice range and well run match, too. And, I know they have good poppers there...I liked them so much (when I shoot there a few yrs back) that I emailed their MD's to get some pics of them to copy.

Anyway...back on topic...having poppers stacked like that begs for them to be hammered on.

Come to Missoula and shoot poppers as many times as you like as one of our Nationals CRO's did when he was upset.

Personally, I take shooters aside for a little one on one when they do that on steel or paper. Pulling the trigger out of frustration or anger is bad, bad, bad. IMHO

Welcome to your opinion & everybody has one but we have a 2,000 foot mountain backstop and it was funny after running a mag on a plate rack on the last stage that the last popper on the next stage wouldn't stand still.

So the question for you is "have you stopped beating your wife yet" yes/no.

I have shot stages at some clubs that have had 5 or 6 poppers in a row. Needless to say for speed sake I dumped a big stick running them down. I had to hit the first ones twice on both rows, plus a couple extra.

It sucked and would hate to see it again in a stage design.

Next time it happens DON'T stop. Finish the stage, then call for the calibration.

To receive a calibration, the shooter must stop. If they finish the stage, then no calibration will be given.

What game are you playing? The original poster was discussing USPSA. The advice to finish the stage was good.

To receive a calibration, the shooter must stop. If they finish the stage, then no calibration will be given.

I think he was saying to continue the REST of the stage, leaving the popper (that was hit and didn't fall) standing for a calibration challenge.

If you want to stack steel then do it with plates. Don't know about the rest of the country but IPSC plates just don't see much use around these parts. We were given a pile of steel scraps (thanks Jeff!) and we are turning a lot of it into plates. Plus, no calibration worries with plates.

I'll admit, a stack of poppers is a ton of fun to mow down but there isn't a lot of shooting challenge there most of the time. I now do stacked steel with plates. Just as much fun and there IS a real challenge there...especially if they are out at a nice distance.

Yeah stacking poppers is a bad idea............

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/99-50.pdf

This was at my last match.

The only time stacking is a bad idea is when they are all in a single row. If you have 1 popper behind 3 that is ok, also if you have them in a diamond or six set up in a tree shape that is also fine because you dont have to hammer down 1 to get to the next. As long as there are other poppers in the immediate are for you to shoot at while the one in front is falling then it makes the stage ok.

Putting one popper in front of another is always bad. You can't eliminate the possibility of a shot intended for the second popper, banking off the first if it is part way down.

The only time stacking is a bad idea is when they are all in a single row. If you have 1 popper behind 3 that is OK, also if you have them in a diamond or six set up in a tree shape that is also fine because you dont have to hammer down 1 to get to the next. As long as there are other poppers in the immediate are for you to shoot at while the one in front is falling then it makes the stage ok.

IMO... My .02 etc.. blah blah blah....In a perfect world maybe. Is a green inexperienced shooter going to shoot as you would do it? Is he going to think like the experienced shooter? Is anyone going to give a shit about safety or just blast at will. Running a hot range or sweeping with a gun muzzle is fine as long as everyone does as they are supposed too but we have rules for our - and others - protection which prevent us from doing dangerous things. Shooting steel is dangerous in perfect conditions ( how many who shoot a lot can't say they have not been hit by splatter) without leaving things that Murphy can get us with.

Crusher wrote:

...even at 30 FPS and a fuzz vid the hits on the calibration circle were evident from your flick.

(threaddrift mode on)

About the fuzzy vids, that's google video's doing, not mine. File size as you see them is cut about in half, so assume that resolution is half or worse than the original.

They look good to me when played through Windows Media Player, or when I plug the camera directly into a TV via RCA A/V jacks.

Now, if I could just get someone or some business to advertise on them.... Hmmmn....

(mode off)

Don't know about the rest of the country but IPSC plates just don't see much use around these parts.

+1

Individual plates are awesome (they still need to be done right).

We use Poppers, US Poppers and Plates all the time here. Properly set up they are a hoot. Had a stage yesterday that just begged to be shot while moving, 5 US poppers and one Popper, all at around 15-20 yards. You could stand still, or you could attempt them while walking.

The other side of the stage was all papper and required multiple possitions to see al the targets.

A single row of Poppers can be a bad thing. but stacking them IF there is something to do while they fall is OK. It is especially needed if one uses forward falling poppers. Shoot a Popper, shoot paper, shoot a popper, shoot a paper and so on till done. With rearward falling the tendency is to knock them down.

As an aside, a few years back there was a stage at a 3-gun that had about 5 poppers with a plate behind them all backed up by a NS. Simple enough with a rifle at 75 yerds, until you realize that the rifle had to be held on its side. you were shooting through a port that was only about 2-1/2" high!

Jim

The only time stacking is a bad idea is when they are all in a single row. If you have 1 popper behind 3 that is OK, also if you have them in a diamond or six set up in a tree shape that is also fine because you dont have to hammer down 1 to get to the next. As long as there are other poppers in the immediate are for you to shoot at while the one in front is falling then it makes the stage ok.

IMO... My .02 etc.. blah blah blah....In a perfect world maybe. Is a green inexperienced shooter going to shoot as you would do it? Is he going to think like the experienced shooter? Is anyone going to give a shit about safety or just blast at will. Running a hot range or sweeping with a gun muzzle is fine as long as everyone does as they are supposed too but we have rules for our - and others - protection which prevent us from doing dangerous things. Shooting steel is dangerous in perfect conditions ( how many who shoot a lot can't say they have not been hit by splatter) without leaving things that Murphy can get us with.

Ahh.....I m a green inexperienced shooter. That was my forth match. And well I did ok on that stage, I was shooting Major PF. Just can really see where stacking poppers could be a problem. In Florida it's harder and harder to find places to shoot, don't want to give any ammo to the anti gun folks. I know we have all heard it before on many fronts, safety first, know your back stop, know whats behind and in this case beyond your target. Please understand I am full on lovin this sport, that being said, if we can make it more safe (read harder for "those" folks to point a finger at us). Why not do it? Just MHO.