Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6th Annual Western States Single Stack Championship

What safariland holster was problematic?

TIA,

Chuck

I have one of the custom fit 560/561 holsters with the newer (but not newest) plastic belt plate. Apparantly the newest plastic belt plate makes the holster legal. Mine, along with my 43.3 ounce gun, got me a weekend of shooting for fun. Oh well; I wasn't going to win the Chevy truck anyway.

-Larry

Larry:

Sorry to hear about your holster issue. I and many others use the 560 (mine is the older model with the leather paddle). What was the problem with yours? Did it carry the gun too low? I was suprised that nobody had an issue with all the double deep mag pouches at the match---would they comply with rule 5.25 at 2" offset??

Anyhow, the way I shot it was for fun too. Still a great match---my hat's off to Steve.

---John

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What safariland holster was problematic?

TIA,

Chuck

I have one of the custom fit 560/561 holsters with the newer (but not newest) plastic belt plate. Apparantly the newest plastic belt plate makes the holster legal. Mine, along with my 43.3 ounce gun, got me a weekend of shooting for fun. Oh well; I wasn't going to win the Chevy truck anyway.

-Larry

Larry:

Sorry to hear about your holster issue. I and many others use the 560 (mine is the older model with the leather paddle). What was the problem with yours? Did it carry the gun too low? I was suprised that nobody had an issue with all the double deep mag pouches at the match---would they comply with rule 5.25 at 2" offset??

Anyhow, the way I shot it was for fun too. Still a great match---my hat's off to Steve.

---John

I didn't read, or pay proper attention to, the rules that stipulated that the ENTIRE frontstrap of the gun must be above the belt so my holster was too low. I did have my gun weighed before the match and got back a report that it weighed 42 ounces. Since I got this info second hand I missed the very important fact that it was 42.9 ounces. Having it cut so close would have scared me into changing something before the match to make sure I made weight. Of course my holster still would have been illegal so....

Well I had fun anyway so no harm no foul.

-Larry

I just wanted to point out that 11 (that I know of) out of the top 21 places in this match are LE or a form of LE. Yes I'll include prosecutors Kelly. :cheers:

I don't mean to say that all LE's are great shooters but Steve's match draws some really good LE shooters. This isn't meant to thread drift or meant to be put here for good shooting LE's vs bad shooting LE's. I just want to congratulate those that do show up and shoot......no matter where they place.

... I did have my gun weighed before the match and got back a report that it weighed 42 ounces. Since I got this info second hand I missed the very important fact that it was 42.9 ounces. Having it cut so close would have scared me into changing something before the match to make sure I made weight. ...

Can you tell us how your SS is configured? (i.e. what kind of magwell, sights, grips, frame, magazine, etc.) So we may learn what not to slap on our blaster. :P

... I did have my gun weighed before the match and got back a report that it weighed 42 ounces. Since I got this info second hand I missed the very important fact that it was 42.9 ounces. Having it cut so close would have scared me into changing something before the match to make sure I made weight. ...

Can you tell us how your SS is configured? (i.e. what kind of magwell, sights, grips, frame, magazine, etc.) So we may learn what not to slap on our blaster. :P

My evil/gamer 1911 has the following major components:

• Caspian slide
  • Kart NM barrel
  • Caspian Race Ready Recon Rail frame
  • Some kind of G10 grips from Dillon
  • A steel guide rod

An obvious culprit is the frame. The light rail (aka Recon Rail) adds weight and so does the grip which is only half cut out under the grip panels. I am going to have the area under the grips milled out and see if that helps. I may also have the slide cut up a little bit. Those two things should do it. I only have to lose .3 of an ounce. I haven't had the gun finished yet so there is no time like the present to put it on a diet.

-ld

Be careful about checking the rules before you go and make any cuts on your slide. I'm not sure that would be legal either. <_<

+1 bringing the frame back closer to "mil spec" especially, under the grip pannel would be fine, but beware what looks like lightening cuts on the slide.

Be careful about checking the rules before you go and make any cuts on your slide. I'm not sure that would be legal either. <_<

+1 bringing the frame back closer to "mil spec" especially, under the grip pannel would be fine, but beware what looks like lightening cuts on the slide.

I was thinking of getting it flat topped. Would that be a "lightening cut?"

-ld

I was thinking of getting it flat topped. Would that be a "lightening cut?"

-ld

Unless it's radical it should be okay since there are plenty of guns made from the factory with a flat top (STI Trojan for one). I doubt anyone would consider a normal flat top or tri-top to be a "competitive advantage" if you're only taking a couple tenths of an ounce off.

• 7 months later...
Dan, I was thinking maybe everybody would be willing to only load 6 rounds in their 1911 mags to keep it fair....???

:)

I saw this painted on a wall at the '84? Nationals at Black Canyon (now Ben Avery Range).

Fair,

Fair is a word used by children to instill guilt in their parents. Life is not, nor will ever be, Fair.

Jeff Cooper

Looks like you're out of luck. :)