Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6th Annual Western States Single Stack Championship

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got in a little while ago. Horsman called Jason the biggest sandbagger at Rio which is a award into itself. Biggest news of the last few years is the Rob Leatham lost a Single Stack Match. I am not happy about it but he was beaten by Taran and also by Nils. Now Nils doesn't own a Single Stack borrowed one on Tuesday night shot one match with it and beat Rob and also came in second over all by 2 points, the kid is 18 and that he hasn't gotten a sponsorship deal is way amazing to me?

Got in a little while ago. Horsman called Jason the biggest sandbagger at Rio which is a award into itself. Biggest news of the last few years is the Rob Leatham lost a Single Stack Match. I am not happy about it but he was beaten by Taran and also by Nils. Now Nils doesn't own a Single Stack borrowed one on Tuesday night shot one match with it and beat Rob and also came in second over all by 2 points, the kid is 18 and that he hasn't gotten a sponsorship deal is way amazing to me?

LOL! I heard Horsman said that. What are buddies for huh?

A backwards primer on stage 9 (Virginia count, 6 targets, draw one shot each, reload, 1shot each, reload one shot each) cost Robbie the match win. He had a 2.55 first shot on a 10 yard target. It was awful to see, and he still got third overall on the stage.

If you know anything about what he has gone through over the last few months, well I would say he is NOT falling off the top of the hill any time soon.

Nils is going to be a force for sure if he can keep with it and pick up some sponsors. Taran is an excellent shooter, but if you look at the scores stage scores, you'll see Robbie just hit a few potholes this match. I wouldn't worry about him losing his place as one of the most dominant shooters in the world for some time to come.

Oh I know about Robbie. I think he win definately go down as the best shooter in the game, ever, period. When I said it was amazing I meant that I would have thought that I would have never ever in my life see it. I figured that until the day he stopped shooting matches he would never lose a Single Stack specific match. Kind of like when Tyson lost the first time (I am not saying that Taran isn't an amazing shooter) but never expected to see it. I didn't hear about the backwards primer though, that does suck. People make fun of me becasue I am so anal about ammo. I case gauge every round and always put them in plastic ammo boxes primes up just so I can check for irregularities.

Jason it is true and I did take it that he was complimenting you by the sandbagger comment!

Thanks to all involved in putting on this match !!!!!

It was my first time to Rio Salada. It is a great facility !

I will definately try to attend again.

Edited by nm3gnr

FYI, yes the gun went off.

The disconnector was proud inside the frame, the magazine hit it on the reload and cause the gun to fire.

The round impacted the berm about 20/25 feet from the target.

Something we should all be aware of in the future, I changed the hammer and sear before the match, because the hammer was following and did not get the time to test fire. My bad.....

Thanks to Steve, it was a great match, the best yet. IMHO this is the best Single Stack match anywhere, combing old school stages and standards along with stages with every whizzbang prop that Rio has to offer.

Congrats to Taran for his win over TGO, quite an accomplishment.

I do have to say however, that no one, TGO and Taran included, really shined at this match. It seemed that everyone was shooting way beneath his potential except of course Steve Horsman who somehow managed to both win Stage 3 and beat me!

I agree that it was a fun match with stages that looked simple and yet everyone seemed to get bit somewhere. Here is a link to some photos from the match. I was an RO on stage 1 so most are from that stage with a few from a couple other stages.

http://www.durkindigitalimages.com

It may take a minute to load all the images.

I agree that it was a fun match with stages that looked simple and yet everyone seemed to get bit somewhere. Here is a link to some photos from the match. I was an RO on stage 1 so most are from that stage with a few from a couple other stages.

http://www.durkindigitalimages.com

It may take a minute to load all the images.

Thanks for taking the time to work the match! The match staff did a great job and I'll definitely try to make it back next year.

There were a few people got dinged for equipment failures. Not sure the specifics, but some safariland holsters are not making the cut when it comes to singlestack rules.

Curios to know how this was handled. Since there is only one Division you can't put them into Open. So what happened?

They were shooting for fun at that point and excluded from awards and cash payback.

OK, I just got back, so I have not uploaded the photos for done a final count of the Raffle. Both will be posted tomorrow.

But, I want to congratulate Steve and EVERYONE else who helped put on the match. It was outstanding in every aspect, wonderful stages with a lot of variety, well run with everything being very efficient. Special thanks to the RO's who were great.

As for the "Supper Squad", well, thanks for allowing me to be a part of your awesome squad!!!!

I met a bunch of new people, and look forward to shooting the WSSS again and with all my new friends in the future.

I see Robbie came in 3rd. You know what this means?

It doesn't mean he is old...It means he will turn it up that much more at this years single stack nationals.....

I feel sorry for his competition.

What safariland holster was problematic?

TIA,

Chuck

I have one of the custom fit 560/561 holsters with the newer (but not newest) plastic belt plate. Apparantly the newest plastic belt plate makes the holster legal. Mine, along with my 43.3 ounce gun, got me a weekend of shooting for fun. Oh well; I wasn't going to win the Chevy truck anyway.

-Larry