Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon- Made in China?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corporate Dillon has no valid way to differentiate between commercial and non-commercial users on any of the equipment we sell. On the 1050/Super 1050, if incorrectly adjusted it can be very easy to trash shellplates primarily, but some of the priming parts as well. It is not recommended as a first machine for anyone. None of what we deem to be "designed for commercial use" machines, the RL1000, RL1050 or Super 1050 have ever had a lifetime warranty. We sell reloading equipment, but we aren't here to subsidize the ammo makers for their wear and tear from normal use, let alone the abuse and lack of maintenance they see. In commercial hands, these machines are operated 8-10 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week. If reasonably maintained, a Super 1050 should have a life of over 3 million rounds. When the 1050 was first introduced, the manual included a warranty card that had to be signed and returned stating the the purchaser understood and agreed to the one year warranty.When the RL1050 first came out we seldom adhered to the printed warranty constraints, as we wanted to see what people broke and how they broke it. After a few years it was decided that almost all broken parts were due to misadjustment or operator abuse. It was then decided to enforce the warranty more strictly.

I don't ever see us offering an extended or lifetime warranty option on the Super 1050. This machine is not for the well-meaning beginner, and it can quickly get very expensive to subsidize their learning curve. The limited warranty theoretically forces people to treat the machine a little bit better :rolleyes: -although you can't always tell this by the condition of the machines sent in for work! The amount of non-maintenance and abuse we see inflicted on these machines makes it unlikely we will ever alter the warranty on them. :ph34r:

Thanks for the quick response.

**Time for me to get on a regular maintenance schedule with mine. :)

I wouldn't want to get anyone at Dillon in trouble, but they have supplied me with a few small parts for my 1050 for free over the years. It is obvious to me they believe in what they do and that is a good thing.

Same here (and I didn't mean to imply they haven't been helpful in the past!).

I have two S1050's, and the first one started having primer issues. While talking to one of their (outstanding) tech support guys, we got to the head-scratchin' point, and he said to box it up and send it in. It returned in working order and to this day I don't know exactly what they did. I do know they didn't charge me for it. If they had, I would have gladly paid that bill.

I do my very best to buy made in USA ...But many times I have no choice <_<

I would gladly pay more for top quality made in USA.

China holds at least a TRILLION US dollars .....and can destroy our economy at any time they choose.

Beware of China!!!!!

Jim

Only if they are willing to destroy theirs as well

I've held a similar anti-China sentiment echoed in this thread.

Nevertheless, I sell a couple Chinese made products, including Dillon's scale, which I hardly ever have a return on btw, and the digital calipers I recently began selling are also made in China. The business aspect is that they work, and they are way cheaper than anything you can buy in the US. There are reasons for that, but I'll leave it there for now.

It's difficult if not impossible for me to separate personal values from business values. So this weighs on my mind whenever I think about it. I'm also considering adding a couple more electronic products to my store, an electronic scale and electronic hearing protectors - both made in China. My motivation to sell them is business and personal related - I can make good money on them. And, in addition to selling an electronic product substantially cheaper than anything else in its class on the market, people will also be able to buy an item they may not have been able to afford at its "normal" price. Which makes me feel good. I like giving people deals whenever I can. So my personal values are kind of colliding with my business values.

Some months ago, I watched a film, 10 Questions to the Dali Lama. The filmmaker, who narrated it, described how as he learned of the horrible atrocities inflicted upon Tibet by China - he went on a personal "boycott China" campaign. He told every person he could to boycott anything from China. Then he interviewed the Dali Lama. Who's view was quite the opposite of what you might have expected. He told the filmmaker that he held nothing against China. He said support them, buy their stuff. It was pretty shocking, coming from the Dali Lama.

be

In the end, I don't think the Dalai Lama's position is so strange. Good trading partners rarely go to war. If anything has moderated China's Communist stance, it is its dependence on trade with the rest of the world.

I have a lot of misgivings about sending money to China, Tibet being near the top of the list, particularly China's policy of "inter-breeding" Tibetans into submission. But I'm not sure that my boycotting Chinese goods is going to alter that policy for the better.

Tibet is only one of Chinas many foul deeds .

dont forget what happened to the protesters in the square.

I believe it is foolish to think that the old (total world domination game) is not alive and well in several countrys

Jim

Tienanmen Square was a little worse than Kent State Massacre or the Bonus Army rout of 1932 I guess.....

Tibet is only one of Chinas many foul deeds .

dont forget what happened to the protesters in the square.

I believe it is foolish to think that the old (total world domination game) is not alive and well in several countrys

Jim

Tienanmen Square was a little worse than Kent State Massacre or the Bonus Army rout of 1932 I guess.....

I would also include Waco in the top contenders of government induced injustice <_<

We are not perfect!!!! but I would rather be in a protest HERE.....much less chance of my internal organs being for sale on the black market :blink:

Jim

10 Questions to the Dali Lama.

Big hitter, the Lama.... ;)

It was pretty shocking, coming from the Dali Lama.

Not so shocking, when you consider that the government under the current Dali Lama committed many atrocities of their own, some apparently worse than those the Chinese have committed. Pretty horrible for the people of Tibet, over all...

......which drifts the thread a whole zip code-plus away from the original question.

Unless there is something new that comes along, either let this one fade out, or I'll have to do my first official thread locking.

If you want to discuss the economic implications of trade with China, the reloading section of the Enosverse is not the place.

I'm really surprised at some of the turns this thread took. We should all go out drinking some night.

Epilogue: I did return the Dillon. I told the people at the store that it was not defective, but that I just didn't like it. It will not be returned to Dillon as defective, but probably resold. I also paid no restocking fee. I avoid Chinese products wherever I can, regardless of who's name is on the box.

I was searching online for other scales and decided CED probably made a good one. Then I found this note at the bottom of the page:

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object483

The CED Professional Electronic Scale is not available in North America. Customers in the USA should contact Dillon Precision Products, Inc. for the D-Terminator Electronic Scale. The same quality, design, and function, but in the famous Dillon blue that the reloading world has come to respect and admire!

Turns out the Dillon scale is just the CED scale in blue! So your shot timer and chronograph are probably made in China too :ph34r:

PS: Here's a scale that sounds as good and costs less at Cabelas. Don't know where it's made.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0028425215505a.shtml

PS: Here's a scale that sounds as good and costs less at Cabelas. Don't know where it's made.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0028425215505a.shtml

[/size][/font][/size][/font]

That is the same as the Pact scale and I have one and I prefer the Dillon hands down, well worth the extra $ for me.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

If any of us believes we can live without using foreign products they are mistaken. For example one piece of electronics that was believed to be American Made is not completely American Made. I think you will find this with most products today. Even the car you drive has parts from overseas in it. So slamming Dillon for doing what everybody else is , is just not fair. If you took the scale back then please take your car back and return it. Along with the razor you shave with, the coffee maker you make your coffee with, the TV you watch, and yes the clothes on your back. If you really stand for that principle then apply it evenly.

Here is the one example. We have an electronic ear manufacturer that is assembled here but the parts are made overseas. You just cant get away from it.

Tuesday, Oct. 16th

The Oehler Chronographs have always been made here in the U.S.A. since the company started over 30 years ago. You would probably be hard pressed to buy electronic components that are "Made in the USA". Most of the electronic components are made in other countries. We have the circuit boards made here in the USA, the plastic cases are made here but we did have to import the print mechanisms. They are NOT made here in the USA. We assemble the units, check them out and ship them from our facility here in the USA.

- James Bohls, Oehler Research -

And the print mechanisms aren't from the USA because Oehler doesn't love America, they HAD to import them because NO thermal print heads in that format are made in the US. They were made in Japan for a while, but now even the Japanese are relocating production to China.

I don't think that's necessarily clear fromOehler's statment.

Edited by EricW