Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Howdy from another newbie

Dave Gundry

Hey all, been reading lots over the last few days - decided to join up, because I know I'll have some questions (trying to resist asking a billion of them now)...

A little story about how I got to be here:

Friend/acquaintance/LGS employee finally talked me into trying out USPSA shooting. Next match is ~month away (Homen, WI), so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row. I've had my Witness Match 9mm for about a year, and have loved every squeeze of the trigger. Doing some holster/belt/mag pouch research led me to Henning's site (holy hanna, that is an awesome site, can't thank him enough) which led me here.

I've only been handgunning for about a year and a half (bought a Taurus PT1911 when they first came out) and have improved drastically in my shooting. I've been shooting skeet for several years (even took 1st @ the MN State Highschool Championship ~8 years ago), and also got into rimfire shooting (informal bench stuff). Not a hunter, just like things that go bang and make nice pretty little groups of holes in paper :D

I've got a Blade-Tech holster (1.5" SR-loops, straight up & down) on the way, and have resisted the urge to load up on mags (I have 3) and mag pouches until after my first shoot. Figure I'll pick up a Wilderness belt (or Uncle Mike's ripoff of it) and go from there. Just planning on checking it out, shooting, and attempting to not make a complete arse of myself on my first outing :D

You guys have got a great community here, and thanks for helping us noobs out :cheers:

Welcome to the USPSA and Enos family.

Remember have fun and be safe.

Thank you.

"being safe" - one thing I'm worried about - I only recently started practicing running with a loaded, cocked, safety-off weapon :surprise: , not something I'm used to at all, but so far, my muzzle-pointing and finger off the trigger discipline have been very good... Definitely don't want to risk myself or anyone else, or get DQ'ed from my first match :unsure:

Welcome to your two lastest addictions :D USPSA and this forum. The next phase of the addiction will manifest itself when you are realizing that you are going through withdrawals if you don't get to shoot for a week or so :wacko: But not to worry, you have plenty of support right here from you're fellow addicts :cheers:

DonT

Hello from another frozen fingered northerener. Holmen is a super good place to get started, they have a lot of good people who can help you out. Pine Island is another that is not too far away and they are having a match next weekend. They are a newer club and are having a fund raising match to get money for props and stuff. I would try to get at least five magazines because most times you won't empty them completely. It's more a matter of reloading when you are moving so you have a full mag when you get to the next array of targets. (if you are shooting a division that limits to 10 rounds) Also don't think that because winter is a comin' you can't practice. Holmen has an early section match that is fun as heck and by practicing in your basement (dry fire) you will be ready to enjoy your first big match. And don't even think that "oh i'm no good, or i'm too new, people will think i'm getting in the way." type stuff. Don't worry about winning, big matches are just fun. Get Steve Andersons dry fire book or some videos (all available on this site) and enjoy the journey. Here's a link to the Minnesota section if you want to check out Pine Island and need directions. http://www.mnuspsa.org

Sweet, thanks for the link Vulture - will I see you @ Holmen at the end of the month? I don't think my holster will get here in time for the PI shoot :(

I tried to resist the urge, but now I've got 2 more mags (for 5 total), a Wilderness belt, and 2 double mag pouches on the way... Figures, everytime I completely pay off the Discover, I figure out a way to rack up a few hundred bucks on it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice everybody - it is truly appreciated.

Welcome!

Don't worry about running with a loaded gun just yet....walk briskly and you'll do fine. Running comes later :)

But one thing to watch out for is that you may start to skip! Because you will be having so much funny shooting.

Welcome to the group!

Welcome to a great sport, enjoy! But......................be careful, because soon you may become drawn to the "dark side" of the sport, open gun shooting! :bow: The dark side is where you will find all the evil, scary types that lurk around USPSA matches ;)

With the way all my other hobbies go, I think I can give a pretty accurate forecast of this one: Get into it, pimp everything out, get better at it, then go for a sleeper setup. I'm already drooling over Open guns, and can easily see myself de-blinging one...

Thanks guys :D

With the way all my other hobbies go, I think I can give a pretty accurate forecast of this one: Get into it, pimp everything out, get better at it, then go for a sleeper setup. I'm already drooling over Open guns, and can easily see myself de-blinging one...

Another soul! :devil:

Another soul! :devil:

If someone offers to let you shoot their Open gun, just slowly walk away. Its a Trap