Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EHC Stuff

BDH

Things I liked about the EHC...

• - being in Europe on the 9/11 anniversary, and realizing that we were NOT alone...
    - having squad lists and shooting orders for every squad so there was no wasted time...
    - International scoresheets (PT's per shoot target... areas for Procedurals with comments... etc)
    - having competitors ask me for either USPSA patches for their shooting bag, or better yet, American flag patches...
    - being recognized for showing the US flag overseas (not really fair though as there were other American officials (Roger M), and competitors in attendence)...
    - the pride amongst the competitors as they marched in under their Country's flag and in their Country's uniform (and at the Closing ceremony)....
    - RANGE FOOD (leave it to the French to deliver)...
    - sitting around at the end of the day, talking and drinking a beer with either competitors or officials...
    - seeing familiar American faces overseas...
    - people working together regardless of language (rumor was up to 35 different languages at this match) or Nationality to pull this off...
    - riding the TGV and realizing what rail is all about...
    - a Swiss junior giving me a Swiss patch, and being surprised when I returned with a USPSA patch for him...
    - while on the topics of the Swiss... watching a new friend ride his bicycle to the range, run shooters all day, and then home from the range after dark smoking his pipe...
    - meeting new friends that either showed us around in the few free moments we had, or simply helped us find the local laundrymat (Silvia and Paolo, we OWE you)...
    - marveliing at being inside a church built in the 1600's....
    - and the list goes on and on...

What a great experience... ;)

I really miss the International shooting scene... Every European match I went to I would meet friends that I had not seen for 3 years, and make new friends to meet 3 years later.

As the Greek priest said at the Awards Ceremony in Crete, 1998...

"handguns make people friends"

+100 you and Deb did us proud! Thanks for your hard work... and your smiles.

All, thanks for the kind words and encouragement!! We 'hope' to be selected to make 'the BIG show' next year... :)

Bruce, good to see you overseas as well!! Too bad we couldn't have spent more time together. One thing that Deb and I both want to talk to you about is the way they handled stats over there. Definately more work on the front end getting ready for the match, but I don't think they could have run a match this big without it. Even though our Nationals aren't as large, we both think there are some learnings that would help us (stages, stats, etc) run more efficiently... ;)

Sounds like shooting in Europe was a wonderful experience.

So would you advise making raids on USPSA and US Flag patches before heading overseas to shoot a match? LOL!

Bringing something from your home club/region (patches, pins, stickers, hats, shirts, whatever) goes over well. At the World Shoot for sure and at a lot of other big matches like the EHC, shirt-trading goes on the last day-- I traded a couple USPSA shirts for Argentina and Italian team shirts, and probably could have traded a lot more if I'd had the shirts.

BDH - I'd love to hear how they did it. I'm also intrigued by the comments you made about their scorecard design(s). Did you happen to save any examples?

Bruce (always open to good ideas!)

Me too.

I'd suggest a thread on each "thing".

Bruce, well yes, I did save a couple of fresh scoresheets! ;) I can explain exactly what went on on the stage, but since Deb worked the stage instead of stats, I don't have a good feel for exactly what they did inside stats, but will put you in touch with the SO...

Flex, where do you want these posted and I will start them?

I plan on hitting some of the matches in the Czech and maybe Italy or Spain when I get home. Great excuse to take the little woman on trips. :D

Rich,

I'd be very happy to help with with the Italian part. :)

Edited by Skywalker

Well,

I had to edit the previous post because part of it sticked to my fingers, and the whole sentence didn't really make sense ... :wacko:

In any case, being I IPSC Italy general secretary, you can definitely count on my help on anything you might need concerning coming to visit or shoot a match in my country.

BTW, I have been for 4 weeks in Cali some 10 yrs ago, does it count? :D

Edited by Skywalker

Luca,

Believe me. When I was living in Florence and would take trips to Tuscany, there were more than a few days where I said, "ya know...I could live above that market. Work at the market, just enough to get by and be perfectly content because (turn to the shore line) I have THIS to wake up to every day."

I love Italy (hence why I own a Ducati ;) ).

Hope to see you in '09 at a match there. For sure the World Shoot in 2011 (anyone know where it is yet?).

Rich

Half the US "Team". Mostly me, Bob Novak and Phil Strader plus a little of Mike Seeklander (2nd Standard-- way to go) and the rest of the squad. The no-video-cameras-in-the-stage policy makes some of the videos less interesting than they could be.

http://www.shred2.net/~shred/ipsc/EHC2007_small.wmv (lo-res video. 29 MB, 29 minutes. Slow server)

I plan on hitting some of the matches in the Czech and maybe Italy or Spain when I get home.

Rich

Nice to hear about your possible visit in CZ. We plan next year organize bigest match in Europe. 30 stages/550 rnds

5 - 7. JUNE 2008, Hodonice - Czech republic http://www.extremeeuroopen.eu/index.php?op...=2&Itemid=5 (site in progress)

Jakub