Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

European Championships

Eric shot extremely well, according to him...and the results, of course.

Mike had it won until the last stage. He shot extremely well! I managed to zero a stage on day 3...just like the Nationals...and 4th TOO! :angry2:

Oh well, I'll just be glad to finally get home. We've had some nightmares getting back. Too long to explain on a french keyboard!

Thanks for the kind words.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, pretty much just got back to Cincinnati and decided to check in here before I head to the d*mn airport at 4:30 AM tomorrow for my flight to New Jersey for a few days of work. :goof:

Many people commented so instead of copying all the quotes here, I will just make some general comments (in no particular order)....

Met some absolutely great people over there. IROA members, competitors and just people in general. Really no issues or challenges... just another match and regardless of the language, they all run the same way... Was extra nice to see some friendly US and Canadian faces, but it was also great meeting new people and re-kindling relationships with some of the foreign shooters who have shot the Nationals and we remembered each other...

Big Match!! Yes, this was a huge match!! In the main match we ran 12 squads of 15 per day for a total of 60 squads (50 minutes per squad). The shooting was half day (6 stages morning or afternoon), with one day off. One thing that was particularly moving to me was that fact that everyone is shooting for their Country. There was huge national pride in what they were doing. I wish we had more of that in the US, but then again, most of us are all shooting for the same Country, just different parts of it. In any case, this was really cool, and while I was glad to see US faces, I sure wish we would have had a little bigger US contingent in France.

Could we duplicate this size match in the US?? Hmmm, I'm not sure that I have an answer for that yet. I 'think' so, but it would take a huge committment from the local club, and I would be a little concerned about pulling foreign competitors in unless we run it under IPSC rules. There was a lot of behind the scenes organization that I have never seen at a US match, that helped things flow smoothly (more on that later)...

London and Rugby... Yes, being in London was pretty awesome and one thing that was special was Deb and I coming back from dinner one night walking thru South Kensington and hearing a big 'USA USA USA' chant coming out of one of the local pubs!! Sure enough, the USA was playing England and they had just scored. Drinking beers in a local pub watching a rugby match was pretty cool even though we lost the match... <_<

Deb as an RO. Yes, this was an interesting moment. Deb went over volunteering to help run stats like usual. Once they found out she had an NROI card, she got a field promotion to RO for the match. Great experience for her, but she kept reminding me around 3:00 PM each day how much her feet hurt (I could make a comment, but am too smart for that). Anyway, she has a new perspective about what it takes to work a stage!! :surprise: Also, for those in the know, her 'Killer Wabbits' have now expanded to Europe... :D

As for Eric G.... I really do not know him well (last time I saw him was probably 4 - 5 years ago at a USPSA Nationals). The only comment I will make was that he was certainly friendly before the match, and when he showed up to shoot my stage, he was all about asking Deb and I 'how much of the Country we had seen... where we had been and what we had done'. Not sure from our perspective he could have been a nicer guy. One thing that did bug me a litle bit was that I asked him 'why he had never come back to shoot another USPSA Nationals'.... and his response was 'I have not been able to get a slot'... :huh:

Lots of other stuff to comment on... the 'food'... the range... the TGV... our many new Internationals friends... Anyway, that will have to wait, as I have to pack!!!

ps. Neil... dinner on us when you come Stateside!! :cheers:

I haven’t personally met Eric G. But from what I understand, Eric does have somewhat of an attitude. Is this true???

On the contrary, he is a soft spoken, cheerful guy. Very approachable. Never had that impression. People tend to misinterpret top shooters

because of a single, brief encounters (worse, from hearsay) but that doesn't really paint an accurate picture.

Wish he could come here often so we can demystify his persona.

I haven't personally met Eric G. But from what I understand, Eric does have somewhat of an attitude. Is this true???

I've met him several times, I recall no such attitude from him. He always seemed friendly and would happily answer questions.

Agreed. He's a nice guy and quite approachable. He readily agreed to be a part of an "Ask Eric" forum over on the IPSC Global Village (CLICK HERE).

His answers and posts are usually prompt and certainly helpful with no obvious signs of any arrogance.

One thing that did bug me a litle bit was that I asked him 'why he had never come back to shoot another USPSA Nationals'.... and his response was 'I have not been able to get a slot'... :huh:

Eric G has indeed mentioned this to be the case on a few occasions/forums, over the years. He mentioned it in a matter-of-fact-way, and has never made any fuss about it, AFAIK.

Edited by SouthpawG26

We just got back in last night.. Without internet access for a week, there are 30 pages of new posts here :o

Lots of fun. Good match. Great people from all over (most of our squad was from Brazil). Met several people I'd only known from the internet. Almost like a little World Shoot. Zero hassles with the guns in France. Very different style to the stages versus US matches-- not really harder, but different. I shot ok (except for the 4 misses and a no-shoot ;)). Without much practice on the target and style of shooting, I was quite a bit slower than necessary. Ah well, southern France is nice to visit as well. Castles, ruins, villages and the TGV track right behind the range. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

• 2 weeks later...