Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Ice magwell?.

striker spring

Hi new member here. great site. I did not even know about it until someone over glock talk told me about it.I plan on ordering a Dawson Ice magwell for my G34. My question is can you use the stock magazine and base pads with the magwell?. If not what is a good extension to use for my stock mags?. Or should I consider another magwell. Thanks

The Dawson ICE is great on a Glock. Probably the best.

I think you can safely use stock mags, but they may not seat as quickly or easily as if you had extensions on them. The Arredondo's are probably the easiest to disassemble / re-assemble and they reliably hold 20 + 1.

just letting you know but putting a magwell on your glock will bump you up to limited, limited 10 or open (open only in the extreme cases). Shooting in those divisions, you'll be at a slight handicap since you'll be shooting minor for limited and L10. major for open only if your ammo is at a 165 power factor or higher. also, extensions are not legal in production division.

Go ahead and shoot a match. There'll be a ton of people there that will be willing to ask any questions you may have. After your first match, you'll have an idea on which division you'll want to play in. Good luck and have fun. ;):D:)

Thanks yoshidaex it will take alot of time to shoot fast like some of the people on this fourm. I mostly like to play around the range speed loading. One thing for sure is when running or walking fast trying to reload a mag it is a little to hard for me to reload beacause the glock grip frame is so thin. I think a magwell will make it alot more fun shooting. When I get better and learn some more I would like to enter some matches.

no worries. everyone was a beginner at one point. i started off shooting IDPA and transitioned over to USPSA. my first USPSA match was overwhelming :o:wacko::blink::surprise::huh: . all the targets and no shoots and partials and hidden targets. i thought i bit off more than i could chew. but the more matches i went to, the more comfortable i got. now i find it fun and exciting. a lot more trigger time per buck.

I have a Dawson Ice on my G31 and I love it. I have base pad extensions by Dawson, Arredondo and Taylor Freelance and personally I like the Dawson the best. I can seat a regular mag but it is a lot easier with the extention. I have the THE magwell also and although I liked it personally I don't think it even comes close to the Dawson Ice.

Unless you're overly concerned with winning, you can have a ton of fun shooting minor in Limited or L-10. About teh same time your choice of minor starts to "hold you back" you'll be wanting a G35 anyway...

I think the ICE magwell is far better than the THE magwell. Fits better and is slicker to reload. The ICE will work with Dawson, Arredondo, stock or Glock +2 basepads without a problem(I haven't tried any others). You WILL have to seat stock mags with your thumb though. I put Glock +2s on on all my non-extended mags (although I guess that makes them extended ;) ) so they are easy to reload. The Glock +2s can come in handy in USPSA as well. My wife uses 1 for a Barney mag, and has a few more for most classifiers, leaving the 19/20 round mags for the other stages. I've got 15 more with +2s and have never had a problem with any of them using stock springs. Can't say the same for any other brand.

I agree that if a person can't hit the reload with an ICE, then they might want to practice a bit. Some of the others are getting so big that they qualify as "goofy" to me.

Edited by JFD

Please pardon me, I'd like to ask how it compares with the T.H.E. brass magwell. Would it fit the IPSC box?

Thank you.

Not without substantial removal of material at the rear (goes for both the THE and the ICE). Another thing to look out for is that only the lowest sights will fit with the Arredondo +3's. Heinie rear is juussst a bit too high, Dawson adjustable is totally out of the question. Stock sights, HIviz and Truglos just make it into the box (with the +3 mags).

I've got the Dawson ICE on my G35. Here's some requested pics:

112906-001.jpg

121406-003.jpg

121406-010.jpg

121406-014.jpg

The extensions I have on the mags (which are 10 rounders) are the Taylor Freelance +0 (I'm in California) which are heavy brass to help drop free. I recently had the chance to use another shooter's standard capacity mags with the Arredondo and while they took a good solid whack to seat, they functioned perfectly with the ICE.

I'll admit, I went with the ICE for the "look" factor as well as it's highly regarded functionality. I didn't want a big shiny hunk of brass hanging off the end of the gun. And while the ICE is heavy and brass it's got a beautiful flat-black finish that fit with my OD frame well.

Hope this helps.

madmike

The Dawson ICE is great on a Glock. Probably the best.

I think you can safely use stock mags, but they may not seat as quickly or easily as if you had extensions on them. The Arredondo's are probably the easiest to disassemble / re-assemble and they reliably hold 20 + 1.

+1 on the Dawson Ice and the Arredondo base pads. good combination.

• 6 months later...
Hi new member here. great site. I did not even know about it until someone over glock talk told me about it.I plan on ordering a Dawson Ice magwell for my G34. My question is can you use the stock magazine and base pads with the magwell?. If not what is a good extension to use for my stock mags?. Or should I consider another magwell. Thanks

Just got one-had to fit?