Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People who beat Jerry at the LPR 2007 Nationals

professor

OK, so I'm actually talking about people who did better than Mr. Miculek on at least one STAGE at the Limited/Production/Revolver Nationals that just ended.

As you probably know by now, Jerry won 16 of 18 stages in Revo Division, finishing 283 points better than John Bagakis and once again crushing the competition. Nevertheless, Jerry did NOT win 2 stages. Coincidentally, he had only 2 Mikes for the entire match, one each on the stages he didn't win.

On stage 3, "Step Back Jack", he was bested by only 4 shooters [Cliff Walsh, John Bagakis, Mike Carmoney, and Elliot Aysen], despite the Mike.

But on Stage 18, "Mr. Strong Hand", 26 other revolver shooters posted a better hit factor!

And by extraordinary coincidence, Stage 18 represented my best finish position of the entire match [19th]. So, despite an overall ranking of 32nd in the field of 38 revo shooters, I'm in the exclusive company of only 27 people who can claim to have beaten JM on a stage at the 2007 LPR Nationals! :cheers:

It's a great story for the grandkids. :rolleyes:

Feels good don't it?.I remember once I beat Rick Castelow on a stage and was pleased(He was shooting a single stack however).But on the next stage he pulled out the whoop ass and smoked everybody including the Open shooters,two of which were Masters. :surprise:

There is a difference between beating someone and having them beat themsleves.

If someone shot their best and you topped it then you beat them and you could do it time and time again.

If someone crashed and burned on one stage and you didnt but come out ahead of them, but it likely wouldnt happen again if the stage was shot over again. Then you won the stage, but they beat themsleves.

I wouldnt go around saying I beat Jerry. Thats disrespectful.

Thats disrespectful.

No it's not. It's part of the fun of the game that keeps us all wanting to get better. Implying that "he beat himself" to lose a stage is the same as saying he got lucky on the stages he won. He came to the line and shot the stage planning on being the best. He got beat. Could he have done better? Of course. Did he? No.

I offer no excuses, whether the sun is in my eyes, I beat myself, didn't sleep well, etc....(and if I do lay one out there, look for the smile that should show I know I'm B.S.ing you). Jerry works Hard to keep himself at that level and there are both huge advantages and disadvantages to his particular situation.

There are Reasons you don't do well, beating yourself falls under the Mental aspect of poor performance and anyone who didn't succumb to the particular mental pitfalls of a course should hold their heads high and be proud of what they accomplished on any given stage.

As for Stage 18, JM actually shot 3 times at that particular target, while moving, and missed "2" times on it (only 1 miss counted though). Pat Sweeny won the stage by doing the same method without any misses and good hits to boot. Pat was on his game and JM wasn't.

It was a pleasure to shoot with all of Squad 9. They each had their times of trumph and agonies of defeat. Though I believe the experience as a whole was greater than any individual performance.

Dave

Ok, so Jerry wasn't perfect. But looking at the results, he was, by a considerable margin, closest to it.

I have never shot with him, which I understand is an experience. I have watched him at the S&W Winter Championships.

Congrats to those that scored better on stages than he did.

What amazes me about Mr Miculek is his ability to crash and burn and come back stronger on the next and subsequent stages. That is a talent that alludes me.

I saw him have ammo trouble on a stage because his match ammo did not arrive. He shot factory Corbon instead of his usual. First stage he had many misfires. After he shot, he went to the safe table fixed the gun for factory ammo and then proceeded to dominate and make up for the bad stage.

Anyone that works hard enough to be competitive with the Mr. Miculek deserves any stage wins they get. From what I see of the scores, all that shot the nationals worked hard to get there and I congratulate you all.

Regards,

There is a difference between beating someone and having them beat themselves.

I wouldn't go around saying I beat Jerry. That's disrespectful.

My post wasn't meant to be disrespectful. In fact, it was partly to recognize the extraordinary talent of JM, and the exclusive nature of being in a position to do better than him on the rare occasions when he performs like a normal human.

"I may not be the BEST here, but I will do my BEST and when the BEST stumble I will have BESTED them!"

Samuel "Hopalong" Keen - April 12, 2007

There is a difference between beating someone and having them beat themsleves.

If someone shot their best and you topped it then you beat them and you could do it time and time again.

If someone crashed and burned on one stage and you didnt but come out ahead of them, but it likely wouldnt happen again if the stage was shot over again. Then you won the stage, but they beat themsleves.

I wouldnt go around saying I beat Jerry. Thats disrespectful.

Not to get in an argument. Did Jerry beat us or did we beat ourselves. We had the same oppurtunity to screw up on this stage as Jerry did but we did not. Jerry won the match. As revolveleros go we pick our fun at all revolver competitors, and Jerry is one of them and I doubt he will lose any sleep over it. And we are far from being disrespetful. Just my thoughts. And my feelings aren't hurt that Cliff beat me on a stage...or two... :unsure:

Roger D. Davis

"Not to get in an argument. Did Jerry beat us or did we beat ourselves."

Well since you asked.

The way I would answer this question is to ask you: If the match were shot again tomorrow would the results be any different?

Not likely. The stages would change, but not the basic results.