Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Limited Class?

Joe D

Joe,

I remember this one. Try a search for "witness" in this forum.

Basically, after welding up the rear site so it wouldn't snap off, I could get the gun to run reliably. It's pretty violent though (sharp recoil impulse), compared to a modern day SVI limited blaster. I could never shoot the Witness as consistently as the SV. The trigger on the SV's massively better. That's why I switched to SV at the time.

be

I wonder how the Witness would hold up with the new PF in .40. It might make an interesting Lim 10 gun. Seems to me they really fit you hand well. I am getting tired of waiting for BUL to bring their guns back to the US. EAA did tell me yesterday they are going to import the "IPSC Model" BUL 5 in .40. According to Saul SVI mags will now fit the BULs without modification.

Shooter, as of yesterday EAA did not have any firm date of delivery to them. They are the only importer of the BUL guns. EAA said it could be November before they got the guns.

I've heard the CZ IPSC standard rocks, but I've also heard the slide will split over the full length after about 20,000 rnds of 170 PF .40 for what it's worth.

Anyway, the CZ/Witness platform will certainly hold up. I think you will realize this after you've seen Eric Grauffel shoot his .40 Tanfoglio Limited Custom HC (check out his video if you can). On the other hand, he could probably win the world shoot with a .40 spudgun with no sights. That guy can SHOOT.

I was looking at the EAA site again and noticed that the Witness now sports a "Super Sight" and "Heavy Duty" slide release. Wonder if this is just hype or some of the old complaints addressed.

Spook, I think you are right. A good shooter is capable of winning with just about anything. Eric could win with a Jennings.

"Super Dave" beat me at last Saturday's Ga. IDPA State Championship Match shooting a Beretta.

I have a 40S&W CZ IPSC serial # 0058, real early beast. It was the demo gun for Australia for ages and was beaten to shit. After 40,000 rounds or so we detected a tiny crack, just where they said it would be, at the very "join" of the spring tunnel and the slide body. Just where it hits the frame under heavy recoil. They are sending a whole new pistol, and I get to keep the old one. So I am real pleased. THEY NEED a shockbuff type system to save the frame and slide, or put in a MUCH heavier spring. Just like 1911's.

Other than above, nice and easy to shoot, nice big heavy dust cover. Slightly smaller grip than STI / SVI, or so it feels to me. Gunsmith can easily fix the trigger, mine runs at 2lb clean. Sights need to be swapped for BOMAR, mine were broken by a customer of mine when he dropped it on the floor when cleaning the slide. At least he was cleaning it. But the sights are prone to coming apart. The six others in New Zealand have had very few problems.

my 2c

The Super Sight is their adjustable sight. It breaks just like all the other adjustable sights I've used.

Heavy duty slide stop? Ask if they've got a standard or light duty slide stop too. If not, it's hype.

Does the Witness Limited have the long(er) slide/barrel? That's supposed to help soften the gun a lot compared to the standard length. I put a longslide .40 top end on a P9 and shot it at the old Major. My long/wide STI .40 was much softer and less flippy. But there's no way you can make the Tanfoglio hold 17+ rounds so it's not a competitive Limited gun.

If I didn't have to compete against Ms or GMs with long/wide S_I guns, I'd gladly use a Tanfoglio in Limited 10. But considering most people shoot single stack .45s in L10, the Tanfoglio .40 is competitive against them.

Erik, the Tanfo holds 15+1 standard and can easily be upgraded to 16+1. Do you honestly think a one round difference means it's not a competitive limited gun? I mean, I heard TGO shot a single stack .45 in some area match and kicked butt (including hi-cap .40 S_I butt). I agree with the sight problem and the slide stop being weak (BTW I'll see if they have a standard or light duty stop too), but one round does not make a gun less or more competitive. There are just too many factors involved IMHO.

Spook, then are they using the large frame now for for their .40 Limited? The fact of the matter is the small-frame full-capacity .40S&W mags are a little hard to come by in the U.S. (And the original poster mentioned Limited not Standard, so I assumed U.S.) The large frame full-capacity mags (e.g., .38 Super) are much harder to find.

15+1 is tough in U.S courses which generally lay out 8 round arrays in 24-34 round courses. Do the math. 16+1 gives you room for a make-up shot. 17 or more is better. All else being equal, you'll shoot a course faster without an extra reload.

jhgtyre, shooting Minor in Limited is a big handicap for most people.

I did the whole try-to-beat-the-expensive-race-guns thing for a couple years. Finally gave in and joined them. I think it improved my shooting because I was dry firing and practicing, not working on eeking out extra mag capacity and putting all my efforts in trying to make the gun competitive.

Yup, they use the large frame. I agree that one make up shot  on 16 rnds fired is not much and sucks especially when you have to shoot a lot of steel. I guess for guys like Grauffel  that's perfectly OK, but I would also have difficulty with that.

A pro for the Tanfo is the price. It's like 50% of the least expensive STI (over here in Europe).

And of course, the thing with the 10 rounds. How could I forget. Smart thing to do. America has too many guns. You know what? Lets make sure people can only shoot ten people with them. ;). I bet murder rates have dropped like a brick since then now haven't they?

"It breaks just like all the other adjustable sights I've used."

Just curious, have you shot the Wilson adjustables? I've dropped the gun right on the rear sight blade on concrete on three separate occasions - obviously I don't suggest this - and the sight was not impressed.

Well I don;t Know about you people but I bought a EAA Witness a week or two ago and I've had no problems with it ,But I'm not so accurate yeat the recoil is okay depending on cal. mine is a 10mm (should have gone with 45acp) does anyone know if you can load 40s&w in a 10mm pistol like you can with 357 mag and 38spl? PLease email me if you can answer this . if you want to look at a better site for witnesses go to http://www.tanfoglio.it/    that is the main compaine that makes the witness

While it is technically possible, it's a bad idea to try and shoot .40 through any 10mm semi-auto I know of (610's are cool with it..). It's a good way to get jams and extractor breakage. It is usually fairly simple to swap the 10mm barrel for a .40 one if your mags work or you can get some .40 ones.

Also, if you want, there's a small 10mm cult that likes the witnesses, so you should be able to dump it for almost what a .45 will cost you if you want to go that route.