Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to Build a walk in vault?

I need a bigger safe.... After looking at the prices of big safes I thought why not just build a walk in vault. I have the perfect spot but after thinking about it I need more info before I start the project.

My first thought was to use 8" concrete block reinforced with rebar and back filled with concrete. The area I have to work with is about 8' wide and 12' deep.

Also need your thought on a vault door. Was thinking about going with Fort Knox but the I found this web site. They have good prices but this is the first time I have ran across them and would like some input if any one has any of their products.

http://www.sportsmansteelsafes.com/defender.htm

And on a last note anyone got links to any info on grants for home storm shelters.... never hurts to get dual use out of it if I can.

Thanks

Yep. I poured 8" concrete walls with rebar reinforced every 12", vertical & horizontal. We used 4000 psi concrete which has less rock and more concrete. Now for the ceiling we did 6" with the same rebar and concrete but added fiber reinforcement also. The concrete guy said it must be 6000 psi. We used plywood on spandals to form it. If I had it to do again I would use corrugated steel which stays in place unlike the plywood which leaves many seems.

The size was 21x20 so we also poured a center wall for support leaving a walk way all the way around.

For the vault door I used sportsmans but I wasnt impressed with it and wish I had gone higher quality. Here was my second choice

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/F1CB4A...5DE5/models.htm

We not only have the safe combo but had the alarm system wired to the vault also.

The concrete cost about 3000.00, the vault door I used was 3300.00, the labor I paid which included material(rebar,plywood, spandall rental and form rental) was 4700.00. That number should have been significantly cheaper.

I built this on an existing concrete floor that was in place for 40 years. If it was new construction you would need a footer for the walls and a floor. Best way to do it is when you are building a house and just do the walls with the basement or foundation walls.

I also had them leave a couple small holes with PVC in the ceiling for running wire.

If you do this you will want to buy a dehumidifier to dry out the concrete before you put guns in it. We have pulled 20-30 gallons of water out of this one. That was after it sat for about 6 weeks before we moved in.

I am sure it would be much less if you went smaller but these concrete wall contractors usually have a minimum charge. I wouldnt hesitate to build another especially knowing what I learned from the first one.

For the ultimate, contact/do a search on "Diebold". (pronounced 'dee-bold', like diesel)

They are the world's leader in safe/strong door technology. The Hope Diamond is secured behind a Diebold door. They not only make tough doors but have a division that makes reinforced concrete panels for the rest of the room. Their panels use concrete mixed with steel fibers. Very tough.

Picked up a used Diebold vault door from the local safe and security folks. It was originally a

records vault door at the local college. Class A security, 2 hour fire rated. $200

Blocks, rebar, redi-mix were another $800 This was in 1996, probably more now.

Took a couple of weeks to build. I also installed a 1 inch sheetrock liner for fireproofing.

6'x8'x10' inside measure----should have made it twice as big.

They not only make tough doors but have a division that makes reinforced concrete panels for the rest of the room. Their panels use concrete mixed with steel fibers. Very tough.

Would this be the Ultra High Strength Preformed Panels your referring to? Pretty amazing stuff. They resist blast and failure in shear amazingly well for concrete. These puppies can run up to 30-40 PSI strength. Add a couple of post tensioned cables in it and it will almost bend like steel.

Steven

They not only make tough doors but have a division that makes reinforced concrete panels for the rest of the room. Their panels use concrete mixed with steel fibers. Very tough.

Would this be the Ultra High Strength Preformed Panels your referring to? Pretty amazing stuff. They resist blast and failure in shear amazingly well for concrete. These puppies can run up to 30-40 PSI strength. Add a couple of post tensioned cables in it and it will almost bend like steel.

Steven

I think that is the name.

High-end concrete goes ~5,000 psi on a crush test. This stuff goes ~12,000 IIRC.

For the ultimate, contact/do a search on "Diebold". (pronounced 'dee-bold', like diesel)

They are the world's leader in safe/strong door technology. The Hope Diamond is secured behind a Diebold door. They not only make tough doors but have a division that makes reinforced concrete panels for the rest of the room. Their panels use concrete mixed with steel fibers. Very tough.

Just a sidenote. Our Club was broken into in early July. They came thru the steel door with a security deadbolt to get in the building. We had a Diebold closet size safe that was donated to the Club by one of the businesses in town that remodeled and it was a top of the line concrete filled monster.

They worked on the door and broke thru the hinges but the side bolts held. They did succeed in peeling back the top right corner by beating the crap out of it and were able to reach down in with an arm and snag the petty cash to the tune of $250. The weeks receipts were just to the left and were missed at over $700. That fancy concrete was all over the floor.

All it proved to me was that any safe no matter how substantial can be breached and it only takes detirmination. The cleanup and door replacement cost more than they took.

• 1 month later...

All security is to keep honest people honest. The best way to keep things secure if for people to not know about them.

Given enough determination one can get into anything, there is no such thing as impenetrable. the sad thing is the harder for them that you make it the more annoying it is for you, which is worse you use it on a daily basis.

Safe doors are great, but put up a fake door around it. hell make it look like a pile of junk.

Yep. A safe wont do it by itself. You need a good security system. One that doesnt rely on a telephone line alone but has a cell phone backup.

Funny, I was thinking land mines. :D

You know, that's actually funny ... until you're in some guy's house who actually has his safe wired with explosives. :ph34r:

"Hey! Let me go get that $10,000 Luger to show you!"

"Uhh, I'll be waiting outside..."

Edited by EricW

Yep. A safe wont do it by itself. You need a good security system. One that doesnt rely on a telephone line alone but has a cell phone backup.

Funny, I was thinking land mines. :D

You know, that's actually funny ... until you're in some guy's house who actually has his safe wired with explosives. :ph34r:

"Hey! Let me go get that $10,000 Luger to show you!"

"Uhh, I'll be waiting outside..."

How did you know?

:surprise:

This guy - without giving too much detail - built his own safe. It sounded really interesting and I thought I might ask to see the workings, right up until he said, "and if they get past all that, then there's the bomb..."

Sounds insane, well actually, no, it *is* flat out nutty, but this is the West where we still have ongoing free-fire-zone range wars. (And no, I do *NOT* condone the practice in any way.)