Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Micrometer-type device for powder bar

I've been off this board for a while and my memory has failed me. Does anyone have the contact information for the company that sells the micrometer-type device that attaches to the Dillon bar and allows rapid but accurate/consistent powder drops when changing the powder load? Thanks (If I knew specifically what to ask for I would have done a search)

I've been off this board for a while and my memory has failed me. Does anyone have the contact information for the company that sells the micrometer-type device that attaches to the Dillon bar and allows rapid but accurate/consistent powder drops when changing the powder load? Thanks (If I knew specifically what to ask for I would have done a search)

Thanks!

I've been happy with mine, although I do get some "quantum" effects with bulky powder like Blue Dot when making very fine adjustments (eg, adjusting smaller results in larger charge and vice-versa).

I don't understand, though, why Dillon doesn't sell this product themselves. Not to take anything away from Lee Love and Uniquetek, but the concept is pretty obvious and the results are excellent -- the stock nut adjustment works, but it looks pretty stone age next to the micrometer unit. Even if all they did was catalog it from Uniquetek (the way they do Redding dies and other items in their catalog they don't even claim as theirs).

I don't understand, though, why Dillon doesn't sell this product themselves.

The suspicion that we've had is that Dillon might be concerned about liability. Having the micrometer on the powder bar might lead some people to believe that they can toss the powder in, dial in a number, and be guranteed that everything will be the same... and someday someone will blow up a gun and get hurt and try to blame the micrometer on the powder measure. Or... that people will start trading around "I load at 1.225" on the micrometer" and someone tries that and blows themselves up (you can't trade numbers around like that - once you get one, you'll understand that the values for each micrometer are only valid on your powder bar, for reasons that are probably obvious to the engineers on the forum, but maybe not to everyone else).

Basically, in the hands of an idiot, it could lead to reliance on the powder bar setting rather than actually weighing the charge and working up a load in the accepted safe fashion - at least, that's the only thing I can figure that would stop Dillon from carrying it (minus any sort of "business problem").

But, who knows - there are plenty of ways to pull a boneheaded manuever with the press as it comes, so... :D

+10 for UNIQUETEK! :cheers:

This is one of those items that makes you say "Why didn't I think of this?"

I enjoy playing around with load development for accuracy & PF with different powders & bullets - always looking for that "sweet spot" load. This tool takes out all the frustration of dialing in a specific charge weight. Once you get the calc data for the powder you can make the smallest adjustments (.1 at a time) with little effort.

The device installs very easy in the Dillon powder bar. Uniquetek advises a 24 hour curing period for the Locktite to set - after that you are good to go.

You need to spend a bit of time throwing charges to calibrate the micrometer to the specific powder into an Excel spreadsheet that Uniquetek furnishes. I would say that this is a must.

I spent about 20 min to a half hour per powder doing that but I use a beam scale so the process was a bit slow due to making adjustments to the scale for each charge as there was about 24 - 30 throws per powder to get good data. I'm sure it would go much faster/smoother using an electronic scale.

Although you have calibrated the powder to the powder bar you should still weigh the charges to insure accuracy. I like to weigh the sum of 10 charges and use the average weight of that charge before I load a round. I found this to be the most accurate method with or without the Uniquetek tool. Most cases a variation of plus or minus .1 don't matter much but I've found that using this method keeps the SD low when using the chrono to analyze the load - YMMV.

Well worth the cost & effort! Just a great must have for the serious reloader.

+ 1 for the uniquetek :bow:

Lee Love is a great guy to deal with !

When I asked him, he even designed a special set up for his micrometer powderbar to be used with the arredondo powderbar.

the Arredondo powderbar with the micrometer is now in his catalogue.

I just made a mistake with my mine that they specifically warn about in the instructions. I screwed in the powder bar all the way in to 0.0 (to start calibrating for a different powder), with a full powder measure. The micrometer came out of the powder bar :( I pushed it back in, and it seems to stick now... maybe I should put new loctite where it goes into the powder bar...

Anyway, don't do what I did! :) Put an empty case under it and pull down the handle before reducing the charge with the micrometer.

uniquetek.com doesnt reply to my inquiries, i wonder why.... im ordering from outside U.S. but the email i send doesnt get a reply.

I had some e-mails from Lee Love of Uniquetek that didn't reach me.

I guess spam filters were to blame ( what do expect with "Lee Love" as sender :surprise: )

I'm from outside US as well, namely Belgium, Europe, and Lee was quite willing to do bussiness with me.

of course, he might be on a holiday...

• 2 weeks later...

I have had good luck with this one from Mr. Dial.

http://www.mrdial.com/

It is not a repeatable dial like the one listed above, but you learn pretty quickly how much to go up or down to get the result you want. With my Dillon scale, I can get withing .1 - .3 grains of where I need to go very quickly and then fine tune with multiple drops.

Chris