Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 inch Scheumann Tribrid barrel

Adam B

I am looking at a gun with a 5 inch Scheumann 5 inch Tribrid barrel which is chambered in 9mm. I was wondering if it were possible just to run with it as an open gun? Could I still make major with not too much recoil without a comp on the end?

Some years back I shot a 6-inch Tribrid in 9x23 for a season. It required 12.1 gr of SP2 (a compressed load) behind 115 JHP's to make major. There wasn't an RO who didn't know about the gun and didn't really want to be to the side of it. It was really to "violent" to shoot comfortably or successfully. I would imagine the 5-incher would be the same...or worse.

I gave up on the idea now, thanks for all of the input

Smart man, I built one a few years ago and in super, it took a while to find a load that would make major and when I did, man was it violent.

Hmmmm, rethinks turning the six inch STI frame and slide into a Tribrid Open gun, re-considers the idea of a five inch barrel and comp where the comp would become part of the barrel lock-up on the dustcover....

I shoot a 5" 38 super hybrid ( 6 holes no ports ). I use it mainly for steel, I have used it for open USPSA with heavy bullets. you could do the same for 9mm. As far as the shooter, it is not any worst than a limited gun, as for the RO, WATCH OUT!!!! it can be a little on the loud side. JUST MY 2 CENTS

Edited by hdgun

Hmmmm, rethinks turning the six inch STI frame and slide into a Tribrid Open gun, re-considers the idea of a five inch barrel and comp where the comp would become part of the barrel lock-up on the dustcover....

Ross Carter did this on his Bianchi Cup guns.

Rich

Hey Guys,

I have a Rusty Kidd 6" TriBrid in Super Comp and I think the gun is pretty darn comfortable to shoot. I have a friend who has a 5" 9 Major and my gun traks way better and is far less violent to shoot for me as well. I chrono'd a week ago and it make a 170pf with 8.6g of VV350 under a Zero 121g JHP. As for noise doesn't bother me, but I am not running the clock.

Hey Guys,

I have a Rusty Kidd 6" TriBrid in Super Comp and I think the gun is pretty darn comfortable to shoot. I have a friend who has a 5" 9 Major and my gun traks way better and is far less violent to shoot for me as well. I chrono'd a week ago and it make a 170pf with 8.6g of VV350 under a Zero 121g JHP. As for noise doesn't bother me, but I am not running the clock.

Now you tell me, I just turned down that gun, maybe I will try to work out a deal with the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

hello...

i have 2 barrels for my SV last models 5 inch with the ports backwards (i don´t now the angle)... .38 (4 ports) and 9mm (3 ports)

my loads are:

.38 10.3 with sp2

9mm 9.1 with sp2

i can make pf 163/165

i think the 9mm are not dificult to make major you have to choose the right powder. the big diferent is the volume of the case.

joao

big difference out of a tribrid and the others.

I would want to see the 5" gun make major, know the load, and look at the cases. The ports on a tribrid start about 1/2" in front of the forward locking lug on the 5" bbl. Too much gas out too fast.

Bob, did you have pressure problems or just couldn't get enough powder in it? I have been playing with the idea of putting an open Tribrid type top end on my Limited gun with a Pride-Fowler sight. I have been thinking about a Commander length with a true comp out of titanium and just a couple small ports in the barrel.....

I shoot a 5" 38 super hybrid ( 6 holes no ports ). I use it mainly for steel, I have used it for open USPSA with heavy bullets. you could do the same for 9mm. As far as the shooter, it is not any worst than a limited gun, as for the RO, WATCH OUT!!!! it can be a little on the loud side. JUST MY 2 CENTS

[/quote

In my 5" HYBRID I have tested the same load as I do my 5" revo for major

7.4 BlueDot w/158 Berry round nose. Makes 172 pf out of the Hybrid and 169 pf from the revo

I am also working on a 6" tribrid open gun

Edited by hdgun

Howard combination of both depending on powder. One made it but well it sorta took the primer out of the pocket. The 9mm is an entirely different beast than the super. The powders that will make it with room require so much that pressure gets bad. Howard if you want to play with one call me. You have my cell number. Next time I go home I will send you the top end.