Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Used to Could Shoot an Auto...

revchuck

Folks - I've been pretty much shooting revolvers for the past few years, pulling out the bottomfeeders only on rare occasions. Yesterday was one of those rare occasions. I just got my M19 back from Mike C. and have been trying to convert myself to the left-hand reload and Jetloaders simultaneously, so didn't want to shoot a match with a round gun until my feces was somewhat better consolidated. I decided to shoot Limited minor with my CZ-75B, 'cause it's a cool gun and I wanted to see what it was like to only have to plan one reload per stage. ;)

I had BIG problems hitting stuff. The blankety-blank front sight wouldn't sit still! Now, I'm not a fast shooter, but 25 yard As are no problem with a round gun, and I couldn't hit squat with the CZ - and the CZ is an under-2" gun at 25 yards. I finally remembered enough by the last two stages to start hitting As at 25 yards (the CoF had NS targets covering everything but the A zone).

Am I the only one to have a hard time switching back to an auto from a revolver?

I feel your pain. I shot SSR about 90% of the time between August 06 and June 07. When I holstered up the trusty ol' 1911 to shoot CDP, the front sight was MIA. :surprise: The darn thing just wasn't where it was supposed to be when I went to brake the shot and I had to make constant corrections. Don't even talk about the trigger pull. To bystanders, it probably looked like I was trying to stab the targets with the muzzle.

Anyway, a sudden change in platform can be ugly, but a few hours of alone time at the range BEFORE trying to shoot a match with a different gun can make a huge difference.

Gary J

I had the same problem today. I generally shoot the same level of "average" with the wheel or bottom feeder. Today I took 2 new Les Baers to the match and shot both with great mediocrity. I was worried about new bottomfeeder FTFs. Non happened-I should have just shot and not worried.

Dave

I am of the opinion that shooting revolver can only improve your bottom feeder shooting. Maybe not the first time you pick it up, but in short time you will get the hang of it.

I really think you just keep forgetting that you have more than six rounds :surprise:

FWIW

dj

Folks - I've been pretty much shooting revolvers for the past few years, pulling out the bottomfeeders only on rare occasions. Yesterday was one of those rare occasions. I just got my M19 back from Mike C. and have been trying to convert myself to the left-hand reload and Jetloaders simultaneously, so didn't want to shoot a match with a round gun until my feces was somewhat better consolidated. I decided to shoot Limited minor with my CZ-75B, 'cause it's a cool gun and I wanted to see what it was like to only have to plan one reload per stage. ;)

I had BIG problems hitting stuff. The blankety-blank front sight wouldn't sit still! Now, I'm not a fast shooter, but 25 yard As are no problem with a round gun, and I couldn't hit squat with the CZ - and the CZ is an under-2" gun at 25 yards. I finally remembered enough by the last two stages to start hitting As at 25 yards (the CoF had NS targets covering everything but the A zone).

Am I the only one to have a hard time switching back to an auto from a revolver?

The revolver Gods are jealous. You have angered them. Tenderly brush out your revolvers barrel and sing gentle lullabies to soothe them and they may allow your semi-auto skills to return..........reluctantly

Edited by underlug

Not a problem,

As long as you remember which end goes BANG !!!! :surprise:

The biggest thing that gives me fits is remembering to knock off the safeties on the 1911/2011 guns. Sights generally are not a problem, sometimes they are left or right but seldom the up and down give me fits.

Hop

Hello: I hate to tell you this but buy a Glock and the switch over is easier. Thanks, Eric

A Glock!? Yuk! Phooey!! :D

I haven't shot my Steyr in a while, so I might dig it out again, but I'm not sure it'd make a difference. The Steyr's trigger doesn't quite have the Swingline feel that a Glock's does. ;)

I never have any trouble switching between Glock and revolver. The fronts sights are always there for me and I never have to look for them. Being a lifelong revolver shooter, I needed approximately 5000 rounds of live fire before I became confident with the Glock trigger but it's no longer an issue for me. Also, the Sigs point just like my revolvers. I use the Sig only because I am forced to do so and I never practice with it. Even with no practice I have always been able to instantly acquire the front sight and control the trigger during critical incidents. I attribute this to extensive practice and dry fire with the revolvers.

Dave Sinko

Know what you mean revchuck. I tried out PD for 2 months and realized that bottomfeeders are too jumpy to be trusted :rolleyes:

Once a wheelgunner always a wheelgunner. Got rid of the CZ and picked up another wheelgun.

Btw a historical event took place in sweden last weekend. For the first time ever there was a squad with only wheelies at a level III match. RSD is growing steadily in scandinavia right now.

The problem is two fold:

1) The Grip Angle is different for a 1911 and a Revo. Causing the sights to "Point" low on initial index. An arched MS can help a bit.

I've actually found it better to practice with the 1911 and transition to the Revo.

2) With any Auto I feel like I'm waiting between shots, with nothing to do. The Revo forces you move to the target while your stroking the trigger.

Once you ID that problem you can easily work into a mindset that overcomes it.

The problem is I'm skeered to upset the Revo Gods by switching. Last time I did the lil' gremlins snapped the pin on the Hand.

Note to Self, while at the Nats check with Nemo and the other Fla. guys on the proper spells and incantations. Or maybe JM and the La. contingent will have some.

Edited by pskys2