Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pin a grip safety on a sti

sandankenpo

I drilled a small hole in the mainspring housing then drilled a small hole in the grip safety. You don't need to go that deep. I just used a paperclip or something else and cut it to fit. Insert the paperclip into the mainspring with just enough to go into the grip safety to hold it tight. Bascially you have a little pin sticking out of the mainspring as you slide it up into place. Make sure the hole(don't go all the way through the safety) and the pin will align. I drilled the mainspring housing first then put in back on and marked where I wanted the the hole on the grip safety and then took it apart and drilled it. Its worked and stayed tight for 3 yrs so far.

Flyin

The easiest way to disable the grip safety is to grind the portion of the safety off where it engages the back of the trigger bow.

+1 thats what i did

Yeah, but then you have the safety rattling around and moving. That was really annoying to me but it works.

Flyin

Grind the lug off and put a piece of shock buffer in between the grip safety and mainspring housing, being careful nothing rubs the strut. No rattles, everything is tight, works great, cost a few cents, and is finally a good use of shock buffs!!

I drill a small hole in the top of the MS housing and insert a roll pin. Then grind the pin so it traps the bottom of the grip safety in the depressed state.

This deactivates the grip safety without killing it and I can remove the roll pin and re-activate the safety if I wish.

I take a shock buffer or small diameter hose and cut it in half. Then drop the mainspring housing a half inch or so and insert the half moon shock buffer/ or hose. Make sure it doesn't hit the hammer strut and push the mainspring housing back in position (while depressing the grip safety) and replace the pin. A rubber band will hold the grip safety in while you are pushing the mainspring housing in.

It won't come out or cause you problems and you can remove it and have your grip safety back in a couple of minutes.

Buddy

(CSEMARTIN) "I'm still having safety issues with the idea of pinning the grip safety:"

Glocks, Browning Hi-Powers, CZ's, Beretta's, XD"s and many others are considered safe without a grip safety. Why would you think a 1911/2011 would be different? As a matter of fact, I think it is a lot safer than a Glock that doesn't have a safety. No the little thingy on the trigger is not a safety. Anything that can be pushed with the trigger to make it fire, is not a safety.

Action Pistolero, if you take your pistol apart that far to clean it...it still presents no problem. It is just a little rubber piece that you stick back in and your done. I have two that are pinned and the rest use the 1/2 moon piece. It works.

Budddy

Glocks, Browning Hi-Powers, CZ's, Beretta's, XD"s and many others are considered safe without a grip safety. Why would you think a 1911/2011 would be different

All the above except the Browning and CZ have a mechanical FP block that would prevent an AD without pulling the trigger. Brownings, since the 80's have them(fp blocks) I believe, and most models of CZ have them now. XD does have a grip safety but it doesn't block the trigger like a 1911.

So, while I agree that the 1911 grip safety is a useless device, "other" brands use more effective "safety" devices so a grip safety isn't needed or wanted.

IMHO of course.

Hello: What I have seen is using electrical tape around the grip and safety. It is not pretty but works ;-) Thanks, Eric

I have done that, but it just looks "bush league" in my opinion.

I am getting mine "done" now

I drill a small hole in the top of the MS housing and insert a roll pin. Then grind the pin so it traps the bottom of the grip safety in the depressed state.

This deactivates the grip safety without killing it and I can remove the roll pin and re-activate the safety if I wish.

+1

Works very well and no rattle or safety movement if you do it right. Makes the pistol feel much more solid to me.

I tried the shock buff thing and it worked out and was rubbing the hammer strut.

Any chance you have a pic of this modification. I'm not quite picturing it.

Angel

Any chance you have a pic of this modification. I'm not quite picturing it.

Angel

Looking at the top of the MSH, the hole is drilled down half way between the MS hole and the side and on the inside edge to trap the bottom lip of the GS sooner and hold it down.