Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuff I saw while running shooters at a big match

Flexmoney

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can be as simple as getting a basepad from one mag on another mag, BAM you are shooting for fun. Get a gauge, check your mags, make them compliant, and NUMBER each component to that tube. If ANYTHING changes check it again. I have been guilty of taking a couple mags apart at one time, and that alone makes it easy to go Open or 'just for fun'.

Something else I noticed are that magazine gauges are becoming more and more prevalent. Don't get bumped because your equipment isn't legal.

Yup, I been caryring one since I started playing with 21 round fire. First time I ever saw another gauge, the MD walked up to me at Area 7 and slapped my mags in the gauge.... :cheers: all is well. I guess that's the $35 peace of mind from owning a gauge, you can check yo stuff before and not have to take someone's word for it.

Oh...here is another one...one that I am guilty of as a shooter.

Shooters never really listen during the walk-through. And, for some of that, I don't blame them... (Welcome to the blah, blah, blah, Stage blah, blah, designed by blah....)

But, your CRO's sure would appreciate it if you listened to the start position.

As CRO, I fully expect to read it once...state it again in the Q&A at the end of the walk through...then tell each shooter (individually) at the LAMR. :goof:

Give that a try 300 times. :)

I'm sorry ............. what did you say about our hands ? Where do we put them ? Up or down ?

Palms flat on table ..... does that mean I have to 'touch' the table ? But, it's wet!

Is this Virginia Count ?

Gun unloaded ..... does that mean hammer down too ? B):ph34r::lol:

(All this at the LAMR command) :lol:

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I was one of the guilty ones... I was BS'ing to much between the walk through and my time at bat and totally forgot where to put my hands. :ph34r:

Something else I noticed are that magazine gauges are becoming more and more prevalent. Don't get bumped because your equipment isn't legal.

Yup, I been caryring one since I started playing with 21 round fire. First time I ever saw another gauge, the MD walked up to me at Area 7 and slapped my mags in the gauge.... :cheers: all is well. I guess that's the $35 peace of mind from owning a gauge, you can check yo stuff before and not have to take someone's word for it.

Now Flex it was only about 270 times ;-)

Alan

I always listen to the start position at the walk thru, and if it is odd, I will remember it.

If it is just hands up, or down, that's going to be the least important part of the stage. :huh:

I listen very carefully to the entire briefing.

And within two-three seconds I forget the entire briefing.

What was this thread about anyway?

Actually the round count, odd speicifcs and little else are the important items. Sadly the Hi, my name is and this COF was designed by and sponsored by and rule Blh, and Blah.3.2.1.a tend to obscure the items that we need to actually shoot the stage. Couple that up with all the people that are talking as opposed to paying attention, the wearing of hearing protection and the shooting going on in the next bay and I'm happy if I find out that I'm on the correct stage.

Jim

PS, Hats off to the guys and gals that run stages at big matches.

This is a good statment and view from RO perspective. I always thougtht that RO should be a friend to a shooter. RO job not to give as many DQ as he see it, but to give a help to a shooter. If you saw some faults you should explain it to a shooter, believe me it is better to him to understand what is wrong than DQ.

My few cents :)

Well, you gotta be careful there too. The rules are the rules, and we have them for a reason. If we let a shooter go that has their finger in during a reload, we risk them putting a shot over the berm when they slam the mag in.

Oh...here is another one...one that I am guilty of as a shooter.

Shooters never really listen during the walk-through. And, for some of that, I don't blame them... (Welcome to the blah, blah, blah, Stage blah, blah, designed by blah....)

As CRO, I fully expect to read it once...state it again in the Q&A at the end of the walk through...then tell each shooter (individually) at the LAMR. :goof:

Give that a try 300 times. :)

Hey! Get used to it Kyle!!! :lol:

One thing that was interesting in Ecuador was that it seemed that every squad 'did' listen to the walkthru, and many didn't even understand English!! :huh:

Oh that's right, I was going to post a match update about my experience down there. Maybe I can get that done this weekend... ;)

How about CHRONO....

I have ran the chrono at a couple of Major matches.

- For all you shooters that have all the shields....figure out how to rack that slide fast, because you are going to need to do so on unloaded starts.

- Some of y'all need to stop by Napa and pick up some oil for your gun.

- Open shooters...I don't even know where you dot hits. They vary so much that I don't even use them when I fire at the chrono. :) Sight in your guns before coming to a match.

As an RO I understand the frustration of having to repeat myself so often.

As a shooter,

When I walk onto a stage my head is spinning.

I try to pay attention to the stage description but it is hard when my head is going through this:

Should I move left to right or right to left?

Where do I make my mag changes?

If I choose not to make a mag change is one extra round enough?

Did I remember to reload all my mags?

Where am I in the order?

I have to pee like a russian race horse, do I have time to race down to the Port-a-Toilet?

Remember not to sweep your arm when you open that door.

Is the battery in my C-more going to last though the match or should I go ahead and change it? Do I have time?

Should I go ahead and turn the dot on so I don't forget it or wait for LAMR?

Oh crap its on now, turn it off or just leave it?

Is this one of those lovely multi string stages with 4 different combos of start position and strong/weak hand?

At the end of the day when I get to your stage, I have already shot 10 different stages that began holding a golf club, straddled a wooden pony, jumping out of a helicopter, sitting in a dentist chair, throwing a grenade, or hauling a tool chest.

If I need you to clairfy up or down, don't assume I wasn't listening, 10 minutes later I may have simply forgotten ......... what was I saying?

Tony

Edited by 38superman

If I need you to clairfy up or down, don't assume I wasn't listening, 10 minutes later I may have simply forgotten ......... what was I saying?

Tony

Yeah. It's usually easy enought to tell the difference. ;)

As an RO, you gotta take it in stride. Just expect to have to repeat it over and over.

As a shooter, I'll try better to listen up when it gets read.

As just a shooter...

I would like to see maybe 2 or 3 copies of the written stage description in the "shooter waiting area" for that stage. I find all too often the stage description gets tucked back onto the clipboard and you never get a chance to see it again. Personally I try to listen, but if I miss something I would like the opportunity to read it over. That would save me from asking questions later, ie. "Surrender or hands at sides?"

Just the view from a humble C class shooter.

Ray

As just a shooter...

I would like to see maybe 2 or 3 copies of the written stage description in the "shooter waiting area" for that stage. I find all too often the stage description gets tucked back onto the clipboard and you never get a chance to see it again. Personally I try to listen, but if I miss something I would like the opportunity to read it over. That would save me from asking questions later, ie. "Surrender or hands at sides?"

Ray

That's the best idea I've heard in a while. Every club I've shot at does the 'one clipboard' thing. might just try this in the future.

As just a shooter...

Ray

I was just thinking...as Match Director for the upcoming Ohio Section Championships...that it might be nice to stick a no-shoot target somewhere near the start position, and write on there nice and big what the start position is...

Hmmmm.