Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many guns have you blown up in one day?

Glockster35

My count is two, in a period of about 5 minutes. :surprise:

I was competing in a Law Enforcement Explorer pistol shoot back in 1986-1987 (somewhere near Portland, Oregon) I was using my brothers 4 inch, S&W 686. I shot about half my rounds and felt a much larger than normal recoil, I immediately stopped to investigate, and noticed the cylinder was cracked, I cleared the remaining rounds out. Knowing I had to finish, all attention was on me now, so I asked one of the match refs if I could continue with another pistol, to which he agreed. I cleared the pistol, set it on the table next to me, and my shooting coach handed me another 686, this time a department owned pistol, which I had never shot. I began shooting the remainder of my rounds, and on my last round the same thing happened, another double load.

After the course of fire, we investigated what happened to both pistols, and someone determined it had to be a double load of powder (I didn't know of such things back then). I later learned one of the sergeants in the department reloaded all the rounds for us to use during the event. I know now that the rounds had to be a double (or more) load on powder because it really rocked me the first time, and the second wasn't much better. At the time of this incident I was only 16-17 years old.

Luckily for me, the seargeant who reloaded the rounds offered to take responsibility for my brothers pistol, and he sent it in to S&W for inspection/replacement of the damage. My brother was irked, but soon got over it. This pistol is still in the family today!

Did I mention that even with all this drama, my team still placed second for the entire event. I suspect had I not lost so much time, we would have easily walked away with first place. And of all the shooting trophies I have, this one is probably one of my favorites.

I had just one. My AR at Superstition last year. Had a round not go all the way into battery. When I pulled the trigger, luckily it was far enough in battery I didn't get hurt. All of the gases and force went right into my 30 round mag which was about 3/4 full at that point. It bulged the mag and blew all of the bullets out into a nice little pile right in front of me. To much fun.

TG

• 1 year later...

I wasn't there, but my friend John Adams at the Douglas Ridge Rifle Club told me he blew up two guns within 10 minutes.

I blew up one, an H&K USP while engaging a plate rack.

Edited by ShaunH

one. it hurt like hell. probably wouldn't have been dq'd for dropping the gun had i not been shooting strong hand only. kind of hard to hold on when the trigger gets blown out and your finger is on it. luckily, my digits were all there. :D

I've had cases "let go" in my .40 and AR during matches, (and once accidentally shot a .40 out of a .45) but I've never broken a gun.

I was present when a friend "ka-boomed" his Glock (using Clays w/ a 200gr bullet). Top end was OK, but the grip was split in two and the ejector went into a low-earth orbit.

I haven't but the very best one I ever saw was in Greece at the Euro shotgun Championships. A reloaded slug detonated in the tube of a shotgun, detonating several more. Parts were 30 feet in the air! The were D.Q.ing him for dropping a gun, and you guys might know that I like a good jab when I can get it in, so I said to the Match Director that technically he didn't drop a gun as it was no longer a gun by the time all the parts hit the ground. Now I was just joking, but they conviened a commity and in the end re-instated him, not that he could shoot with his forearm and hand all fubbed up! So becarefull what you load...and what you say! :roflol: KurtM

• 9 months later...

western states championships back in the early 90's i got to see a friend of mine in the course of the weekend go thru his primary open gun, his backup, his wife's primary, her backup, and 2 loaners from concerned friends. but i think he did win some money at the tables in reno hehehe

western states championships back in the early 90's i got to see a friend of mine in the course of the weekend go thru his primary open gun, his backup, his wife's primary, her backup, and 2 loaners from concerned friends. but i think he did win some money at the tables in reno hehehe

Yikes. That sounds rough...and expensive.

His friends should'a hit him up side the head with a clue-brick?