Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Those folks who won't help brassing and setting targets

stubbicatt

Generally on people like that subtly is a lost cause,...................Confrontation!!! is the key.

Speak up, say something, be it junior, or parent, GM or beginner.

You should have the majority on your side.

I like confrontation. :rolleyes:

Trapr

It is sort of fun stirring the pot a little bit isn't it?

TG

Hell yes.

Rich

Get 'em on the supersquad at a major match and see how long that lasts.

Years ago I was at a Florida Open and we were asking them how the new up-and-comer on the squad was doing and they said something like 'We've got him up to a B-class taper now.. we'll get him to A-class by the end of the match.."

Jeezel Pete, are you all a bunch of girls or what?!?! Throw them the tape and tell them to get up and help. Works fine for me :)

I don't care about brassing, if you wanna expend your energy - go for it. I usually tell whoever I see scrounging to leave mine unless THEY can use it!

Subtle does not work.

I was shooting a 3 gun match in Waco Tx 2 years ago, my crew was squadded with a bunch of the Kansas guys( Mel and some of his buds) and a guy from the Midwest. The Midwest guy ( I'll call him) was pretty well off, drove an Escalade, had the best gear, expensive clothes, etc. But, he absolutely failed to do his bit, taping, setting steel, brass, etc. He stood and watched everyone. We gave him a few hints over the first day, no workee.

By morning of the second day, enough was enough. We got together and all decided not to doing any stage setup after the shooter before this guy shot. Nothing was taped, setup, picked up. We all stood over to the side and watched as this guy stood in the shooter box, holding his rifle waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Finally, there were some words as to why nothing was being done and what was expected in the future.

The rest of the match, this guy worked a bit, not much, but enough to keep us off of him. Sometimes public embarassment goes a long way.

He probably went back to his lazy ways at his next match, but I guess that were his next squads issue to deal with.

I've worked plenty of majors matches. When everyone is helping its like running a well oiled machine and in no time flat the squad's finished shooting and moving on to the next stage. But every now and again you get a squad that has a few slackers that just gums up the works, throwing the squading matrix into a tail spin. Also screwing up my break time I might add. God, I hate lazy, self-centered people.

At a match yesterday, there was a slight confrontation occuring in the dugout while another shooter was up on the line. I just sat back and laughed at the whole exchange. The conversation went like this:

Mr. Lazy: "Gee, you sure are sweating" ( No shizzle? It's July in Florida, halfwit, 92 dgrees and 95% humidity)

Teamplayer: " That's because I'm not sitting on my butt like the effing King of Persia waiting for my serfs to paste and reset steel, you ass. Here, have some pasters".

Mr. Lazy turned and looked around for support, and I had a big old shizzle eating grin on my face, "no backup here, pal."

Mr. Lazy taped a few rounds, then went back to his old ways. I know who I won't squad with given a choice.

At my first TX State Limited Years ago we had a great squad. It was 2 minutes from standby to standby. If it is your locals you have a problem with, put them all into their own squad and let them fight it out amongst themselves.

I really hate those certain competitors who sit on their a$$es at a match while only a few help out with brassing and resetting targets.

I guess they are "special." :angry2:

Don't overthink the problem. Say, "Your lack of assisting the rest of us is noticed by everyone on the squad, and unappreciated. Here's a roll of tape. " Then avoid them in the future during sign-up.

EVERY time I've seen this happen at a match, the rest of the shooters on the squad backed the person who handed the slakkard the roll of tape. Some more verbally than others, but backed them none the less. There are very low levels of sympathy for not helping out in ECO shooters.

If you enjoyed me, you should see our section coordinator. He's definitely on a roll!

I just bring one of my kids, LMAO!

Nick, you should have had him hold your cigarette. :)

Seriously, though everytime it was time to paste or reset he was up like a flash pitching in.

Good Job...

-----

At a local match, my subtle approach was to hand the guy a roll of pasters and tell him we needed someone else help paste.

Edited by pas44

At our club, everyone is expected to help. That does not mean you tape, pick up brass, or reset every shooter. Quite frankly with 15 shooters to a squad some stages just do not need everyone helping each shooter. But you are expected to do your fair share. Most everyone complies, a few do a little less and few do a little more.

The RO makes it clear for tapers and brass pickers after the Range is Clear is spoken.

I find the directly confronting the problem shooter is the first step. Set the expectation with the lazy shooter that it is expected for them to pick brass or tape. Do their fair share. This included shooters who are not members of our club.

Step two is re-enforcement of step when they get lazy again. I do not get angry just direct. You shoot at our club matches here is what is expected of you.

Typically, I am not in favor of the passive-aggressive techniques. Too much emotion is tied to them. However, I do like the two ideas about not resetting the stage for them and telling them their score cards will be lost. That would generate a few smiles from me.

I really hate those certain competitors who sit on their a$$es at a match while only a few help out with brassing and resetting targets.

I guess they are "special." :angry2:

Don't overthink the problem. Say, "Your lack of assisting the rest of us is noticed by everyone on the squad, and unappreciated. Here's a roll of tape. " Then avoid them in the future during sign-up.

EVERY time I've seen this happen at a match, the rest of the shooters on the squad backed the person who handed the slakkard the roll of tape. Some more verbally than others, but backed them none the less. There are very low levels of sympathy for not helping out in ECO shooters.

If you enjoyed me, you should see our section coordinator. He's definitely on a roll!

Ah yes, there are three men to fear in eastern CO if you are lazy; Todd, RW, and the Big Giant Head!

Send me a PM. Love to hear the gossip. Steve gettin cranky in his old age? Figured he'd be all mellow after getting the Mile High done :rolleyes:

Our sport only works through the hard effort and good will of our fellow shooters. Those who won't help should be told not to come back. I know it sounds harsh but people who won't help are not only being disrespectful to their fellow shooters but the the sport itself. If you publicly ban the habitual offenders you'll get the other slackers attention quickly. Throwing rolls of tape and angry comments might help for a stage or two but isn't a long term solution.

Edited by rubberneck

It's been a while since this happened.......

We had a couple of folks who always arrived at the list minute to avoid setting up, did very little during the match, and always shot first on the last stage of the day so they could leave before we had to tear down.

SO... the score keeper (whom shall remain nameless) decided to "lose" their scores for the last stage. When the scores were posted, they got a DNF. The called me complaining so I told them if they had just been around when we did the scores, we could have let them reshoot - too bad try again next month. They did and of course left early. We "lost" their scores again. This time they were really pissed, so I told them essentially the same thing as before. Their response was to say that they wouldn't come back to my club.

Interestingly enough, I understand that the next club they attended "lost" their scores as well. Fireworks went off this time and almost everyone in that club told them not to come back. After about six months, they stopped shooting.

After this many years, I think that the direct approach is still better especially when done by an entire squad. "Mr. Lazy, for every stage you don't paste or reset, we will not record your score - DNF. Now, you can sit there or you can work, your choice, but don't get mad with us".

I just bring one of my kids, LMAO!

Nick, you should have had him hold your cigarette. :)

Seriously, though everytime it was time to paste or reset he was up like a flash pitching in.

Good Job...

-----

At a local match, my subtle approach was to hand the guy a roll of pasters and tell him we needed someone else help paste.

Thanks!

LOL, smoking is MY bad habit, don't want him to get any ideas <_<

When I bring them, both my boys have always been good about helping with taping, resetting and I as well always try to do my part.