Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Production Load

glock17w

I have searched the forum for a good 9mm production load. I am shooting a Glock 17. I plan to shoot 124 or 135 gr bullets. I am not looking for the softest load. I am looking for a reliable load around 135 - 140 PF. Could you recommend a powder, type of primer, overall length, etc? I will purchase my press and accesories in the next month or so. I just want to have my plan together so I am not out their flapping once I start. Thanks for the help in advance.

4.2 grains of Titegroup, 125 grain Zero JHP, 1.14" OAL. It runs around 1050 fps from my CZ-75s, might go a hair faster from a G17. It's not a max load, so if you want it a little warmer, you've got some more room.

4.2 grains of Titegroup, 125 grain Zero JHP, 1.14" OAL. It runs around 1050 fps from my CZ-75s, might go a hair faster from a G17. It's not a max load, so if you want it a little warmer, you've got some more room.

That is what I run out of the G34. I think I am over 140pf at every match that I have been chrono'ed. (I don't even pay attention to the chrono stage...which is very comfortable.)

I have searched the forum for a good 9mm production load. I am shooting a Glock 17. I plan to shoot 124 or 135 gr bullets. I am not looking for the softest load. I am looking for a reliable load around 135 - 140 PF. Could you recommend a powder, type of primer, overall length, etc? I will purchase my press and accesories in the next month or so. I just want to have my plan together so I am not out their flapping once I start. Thanks for the help in advance.

Hey Glock17w are those dolls for real ? I use Montana Gold and Winchester 124 Gr. fmjrn in my Glock 17 and 34. I use 4.6 Grs. of Vihtavuori Oy N330. My OAL is 1.150. Through my chrono , I get a power factor of 137. This load shoots real nice and I use it for USPSA Production Class and the GSSF Matches. How this info helps you out. P. S. Say hello to the dollies for me.

This is my load:

-MG 124gr JHP or Zero 125gr JHP

-4.3gr Titegroup

-OAL = 1.150"

-Primer = WSP

-Brass = whatever I can acquire :lol:

-Avg Vel = 1120ish @ 138-140 PF

Very accurate out of my G34 and recoil is mild. Even more accurate out of my Beretta Elite II.

YMMV,

Okie

I am in the process of testing out a load using 4.4 gr Titegroup with Montana Gold 121 gr jacketed bullets, Starline brass, and CCI Primers. I'm estimating this should give me a 130 - 135 PF. I'm not sure what the best OAL is going to be, but based on the size of the bullet, I'm starting at 1.075.

Edited by Graham Smith

I am in the process of testing out a load using 4.4 gr Titegroup with Montana Gold 121 gr jacketed bullets, Starline brass, and CCI Primers. I'm estimating this should give me a 130 - 135 PF. I'm not sure what the best OAL is going to be, but based on the size of the bullet, I'm starting at 1.075.

Graham - I haven't used this bullet, but I'm guessing that that's way too short. Longer is usually better. If you need to use that OAL, reduce the powder charge - IIRC, Hodgdon's data used an OAL of 1.09 with that charge as the max. Most of us have found that 4.0 - 4.3 grains works well.

Graham,

I have tested this load quite extensively and here's what it does out of my G-34 with KKM barrel (as of 21 July 2007):

-MG 121gr IFP

-4.4gr TG

-OAL = 1.150"

-mixed brass

-WSP

-Avg Vel @ 92deg F. = 1130fps

-SD = 17fps

-ES = 54fps

-PF = 137

This data is based off of a 10 shot group. Accuracy on this load is excellent. As always... YMMV :D

Okie

I was looking through my range testing log and found this from 20 March 2007 when I first started developing the 121gr load...

-MG 121gr IFP

-4.0gr TG

-OAL = 1.110" (close to the manual's 1.090")

-Federal brass

-Avg Vel @ 70deg F. = 1114fps

-E.S. = 26fps

-S.D. = 11fps

-P.F. = 135

Hope this helps.... I wouldn't exceed 4.2gr of TG at a shallow OAL like 1.090" just to be on the safe side.

Okie

4.2 grains titegroup

125 grain Zero JHP

haven't had a compelling need to look to another combo so far. It's consistent ~1058 out of wife's guns. . . 5" Springfield 1911 and XD9 subcompact. It runs clean compared to Winchester white box.

I wouldn't exceed 4.2gr of TG at a shallow OAL like 1.090" just to be on the safe side.

What is confusing about the 121 bullet is the weight, size and shape of it when compared to other bullets that actually have published data. The OAL for a 125 SIE FMJ is 1.090 but the MG 121gr is shorter so how do you determine the OAL for that.

Also, I notice that your data shows a variation of 0.4gr of powder with almost no variation in velocity and only a 0.04 difference in OAL. I have seen information that leads me to think that a small variation in powder weight with TG makes vary little difference in speed, thus making it a fairly accurate powder.

What's really hard to wrap one's head around is what the relative effect of OAL has since no two manuals seem to comparing on this (cause they use different bullets) and don't do a very good job of providing info on the actual length of the bullet which has to be a factor in the OAL equation. IOW which is more important to the OAL - the weight of the bullet or the length?

Edited by Graham Smith

[Also, I notice that your data shows a variation of 0.4gr of powder with almost no variation in velocity and only a 0.04 difference in OAL. I have seen information that leads me to think that a small variation in powder weight with TG makes vary little difference in speed, thus making it a fairly accurate powder.

Hi Graham,

The reason you don't see much velocity difference in the two loads I posted (4.0gr VS 4.4gr) is because I was using a much longer OAL on the heavier charge = much less pressure. If I were to load that 121gr MG seated at 1.090" for example with 4.4gr of TG, then you would see higher velocities than if I used the same charge weight seating the bullet at 1.150". I have lots of documentation of this type of thing in my range log.

I simply load everything to 1.150" these days and don't look back. Mostly shoot 124/125gr JHP bullets with 4.2/4.3gr of TG at matches, which run about 1100fps and very accurate.

Good luck,

Okie

The reason you don't see much velocity difference in the two loads I posted (4.0gr VS 4.4gr) is because I was using a much longer OAL on the heavier charge = much less pressure.

Hmmm, I would not have considered the difference between 1.11 and 1.15 to be "much longer" (a 3.6% difference whereas the powder is a 10% difference).

Perhaps it's just that up until now, all the info I have seen stresses powder to bullet weight (and type - jacket vs naked) with very little consideration for the differences in bullet length. And even that has been wildly different in some cases. Example:

Hodgdon lists 125gr RN, 4.1gr TG, 1069 FPS; but there is a recommendation in "The ABC's of Reloading" for 125gr RN, 4.7gr TG, 1094 FPS. Now, that's a heck of a difference in powder, for almost no difference in velocity. What's unknown is the OAL for the 4.7gr load and neither lists a bullet length so there is no way of calculating the actual cartridge volume. Plus, differences in brass will give you different volumes so the brass has to play into this, but that's too fine a hair to split right now.

Maybe you have the right approach - stick to a reasonable OAL and vary the powder accordingly.

.04 in oal will make a world of difference with some powders, such as clays or other fast powders including titegroup. Just ask some of the limited guys who shoot a 40 loaded with clays, it can spell the difference from a real soft shooting load to blowing the top off of your gun. I load the 121 MG IFP for my glock 34 and I run 1.145 OAL with Remington +p once fired brass, winchester small rifle primers, only because I have several thousand of them, and 4.3 grains of titegroup and I get around 135-140 PF.

.04 in oal will make a world of difference with some powders, such as clays or other fast powders including titegroup.

Interesting. It never ceases to amaze me that with all the published information there is about reloading, how something like this gets lost so easily. Some sources say, "if it's too long it won't fit correctly", and pretty much leave it at that. I have read about pressure variations and the depth of the bullet in the case, but there doesn't seem to be any real emphasis on tuning your loading to this great a degree.

Well, I only made up a few at 1.085 and have already adjusted them to 1.100, but perhaps I need to back them off some more. Guess another session with the bullet puller and the press is on tap for the evening.

I really need to find some place with a chronograph so that I can see what I am really getting. The last set I did with 124gr Hornady FMJ and 4.1 of TG just seemed way too "weak".