Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maku mozo!

benos

I got a reply from a Member on today's Maku mozo! - who said it was the best one in a long time. And that I should post it. So here's Krishnamurti, once again, dropping the hammer on suffering.

It is so easy to deceive oneself, so easy to convince oneself of anything at all. ... What makes illusion? Well, one of the factors is this constant comparison between what is and what should be, this measurement between the good and the bad - thought trying to improve itself, the memory of pleasure, trying to get more pleasure...

-Krishnamurti

Join Maku mozo!

View the Maku mozo! Archive

(10.31.07: 269 members, since starting in August '06.)

be

Thanks Craig - I appreciate the feedback. I'm really enjoying it. At some point, when I run out of them, I may start sending them with two or more quotes from different people in the same Maku mozo! - saying the same thing with different words. Kind of a bottom line thing. The Buddha, Chuang Tzu, and Krishnamurti all saying the same thing.

be

I make a hard copy of them everyday since I started getting them. I forward them to some of my buddies and my 72 year old dad. They give me a hard time about being "mystical" and full of it, but we all really enjoy them. The not so obvious ones are the best because if you have to give it a little thought to see where he is going it is relaxing, a little mid day meditation if you will. Keep em coming!

Robin

I can't count how many days I have read one and had it hit very close to home.

Me too. This one especially....

Belief is one thing and "what is" is another. Belief is a word, a thought,

and this is not the thing, any more than your name is actually you.

-Krishnamurti

Ther have been several, but this was the most recent.

-Krishnamurti

Thanks for the feedback. That one rocked quite a few people. It's so direct and so powerful.

be

-Krishnamurti

Thanks for the feedback. That one rocked quite a few people. It's so direct and so powerful.

be

Someone beat me to it! :cheers:

I spent 3 days re-reading that one trying to wrap my head around it :huh::blink: and I still haven't gotten there yet! But that's the reason I love it so much, every time I get a little more out of it :wub::bow:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend sent me this (she saw it on a wall somewhere and wrote it down):

Fear brings illusions

Illusions bring doubts

Doubts bring confusion

And confusion brings fear

Thus the cycle of darkness

Regenerates itself

Peace brings stillness

Stillness brings knowing

Knowing brings truth

Truth brings freedom

Freedom brings joy

Joy brings love

Love brings peace

And so it is we grow in light

Fear brings illusions

Illusions bring doubts

Doubts bring confusion

Regenerates itself

Peace brings stillness

Stillness brings knowing

Knowing brings truth

Truth brings freedom

Freedom brings joy

Joy brings love

Love brings peace

That is awesome!

Questioner: Can you explain the here and now?

It is consciousness of time and space. What is happening here and now is what matters. Don't think about the past or the future, but concentrate on here and now. When you urinate, just urinate; when you sleep, just sleep; when you eat, practice zazen, walk, make love, exactly the same. Concentrate on the present and act and nothing else. If you are not happy here and now, you never will be.

-Taisen Deshimaru

This one is great. Focus on what you are doing and be 100% there when doing it. Experience it fully or not at all. Full Tilt!

I heard a story the other day about perception and doubt. I'm sure some of you have heard it before, but it was new to me. I've caught myself pondering it and smiling, as I examine my own life.

Circus elephants are too big and strong for a portable type of cage. So when they are very young, they have one leg placed in an iron band, thethered to a chain, and fastened to a metal spike driven into the ground. At first they pull and strain against the chain, but they are weak and it is no use. The iron band only chafes their leg and causes pain. When they are weak, they learn that this is something that they can never overcome. Later when they weigh seven tons and are huge and incredibly strong, they could easily pluck the spike from the ground. But, they are unable to perceive their great strength in relation to this one area of weakness in their existence.

They are held in chains by a memory of what once was, but no longer is. Breaking the illusion of doubt, that's really something to set your heart upon.

We are always looking for things or situations to set us free. Money, power, status.........sex, drugs, rock and roll. They are all just amusements that distract us from the fact that we are spending our lives in chains

A young man, a boastful champion challenged a Zen master who was renowned for his skill as an archer. The young man demonstrated remarkable technical proficiency when he hit a distant bull's eye on his first try, and then split that arrow with his second shot. He challenged the Zen master to face him. "There," he said to the old man, "see if you can match that!" Undisturbed, the master did not draw his bow, but rather motioned for the young archer to follow him up the mountain. Curious about the old fellow's intentions, the champion followed him high into the mountain until they reached a deep chasm spanned by a rather flimsy and shaky log. Calmly stepping out onto the middle of the unsteady and precariously hanging bridge, the old master picked a far away tree as a target, drew his bow, and fired a clean, direct hit. “Now please try”, Zen Master said as he gracefully stepped back onto the safe ground. Staring with terror into the seemingly bottomless and beckoning abyss, the young man could not force himself to step out onto the log, no less shoot at a target. "You have much skill with your bow," the master said, sensing his challenger's predicament, "but you have little skill with the mind that lets loose the shot."

I would be less than honest if I said that every quote on Maku mozo really reached out and grabbed me. However, there have been many that spoke volumes to me as I read them.

Not saying they all don't have great worth, but some days, some of them are more apropos than others to me.

Keep them coming,

dj

Fear brings illusions

Illusions bring doubts

Doubts bring confusion

Regenerates itself

Peace brings stillness

Stillness brings knowing

Knowing brings truth

Truth brings freedom

Freedom brings joy

Joy brings love

Love brings peace

Very Powerful -the cycle of Life- needed this one!

Thx.

Edited by schmitz

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Brian,

Thanks for the Einstein quotes in my email box for the past few weeks. More often than not, they have been timely and insightful. I believe I've saved more of those than any other "series". Just how is it that you know I need a mental boost around 11 am CST during the week? :o

Regards,

Jeremy