Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of buy a new gun but which?

I have been thinking about a new gun and really can't make up my mind how to spend my hard earned dollars.

I have been wanting to try 3-gun for a while now and the only missing piece of gear is a viable AR.

Been looking at JP rifles (nice).

I have also seriously considered having an AR built by a local smith.

I have also been fighting the temptation to have Benny build me a fat free 6" Limited gun.

Been stuck in B class far too long. It's time to kick it up a notch.

Granted, my current gear will get me there.

I just need time and practice.

However, it might not be a bad thing to shake things up a bit with a new blaster.

Decisions, decisions.

Tony

Edited by 38superman

How 'bout taking some of the money and taking a class from one of the top shooters. One of the best investments advancing shooters can make is to take a class and have one of the top guys see where you can shave some wasted movements here and there.

Case in point. I'm classified as a B, but perform much better than that and my biggest flaw is my mental game. Got it and am working on it. However, I knew that there is still some polishing on the technique that needs to be done too. I took a one day, private class with Mike Voigt and he showed some little tweaks on my draw, target transition tricks, target math, etc. In the past too, I've taken classes from Matt Burkett who really established my base for mechanical skills.

Having been away from shooting for about 3 years now thanks to Uncle Sam, I've had a flip of sorts. The mechanical skills are not near where they were but the mental game is much more prepared than ever. So, when I get back to the States, I'm certain that with some short time on the range (with Matt, Mike, Max or Travis) I'm sure that the two can come together. My goal is to make Master within 1 year of returning to shooting again. I know that I can.

Point being, go for some training and THEN worry about "upgrading" your gear or steering your shooting in another direction. While I'm never opposed to shaking things up, by working on the core skills, everything else (rifle & shotgun) seem to work themselves out on their own.

Rich

How 'bout taking some of the money and taking a class from one of the top shooters. One of the best investments advancing shooters can make is to take a class and have one of the top guys see where you can shave some wasted movements here and there.

Case in point. I'm classified as a B, but perform much better than that and my biggest flaw is my mental game. Got it and am working on it. However, I knew that there is still some polishing on the technique that needs to be done too. I took a one day, private class with Mike Voigt and he showed some little tweaks on my draw, target transition tricks, target math, etc. In the past too, I've taken classes from Matt Burkett who really established my base for mechanical skills.

Having been away from shooting for about 3 years now thanks to Uncle Sam, I've had a flip of sorts. The mechanical skills are not near where they were but the mental game is much more prepared than ever. So, when I get back to the States, I'm certain that with some short time on the range (with Matt, Mike, Max or Travis) I'm sure that the two can come together. My goal is to make Master within 1 year of returning to shooting again. I know that I can.

Point being, go for some training and THEN worry about "upgrading" your gear or steering your shooting in another direction. While I'm never opposed to shaking things up, by working on the core skills, everything else (rifle & shotgun) seem to work themselves out on their own.

Rich

I would love to take a training class but simply cannot work it into my schedule.

This really isn't about better shooting through poverty.

I learned a long time ago you can't buy your way to success.

Improvement lies with the shooter and not the blaster.

I'm just ready for a new toy and possibly a whole new game to play.

Just can't decide which way to go.

Tls

New guns bring some excitement back, a guy will usually dryfire more, live fire more, and generally handle the gun more for a couple months after he gets it. That alone will bring about some improvement that is generally attributed to the gun. I am of the opinion that guys WILL shoot better with a new blaster whether the gun really is better or not.

If you have the funds get a new gun, it certainly won't hurt anything.

Decision made.

I made a commitment to buy a JP CTR-02 (presentation grade) from boynty77 in forum classifieds.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of optics to put on it.

Thanks for all the comments.

My biggest concern now is spreading myself too thin and slowing my progress with the pistol.

Oh well. I'm just going to have some fun with this new rifle and let the chips fall where they fall.

Three Gun Tony :)

Edited by 38superman

I have a CTR-02. It is sooooooooooo sweet. I believe that everyone should have at least three ARs or more(3-gun, ghogs/yotes, & build your own). Also everyone should build at least one.

I have a CTR-02. It is sooooooooooo sweet. I believe that everyone should have at least three ARs or more(3-gun, ghogs/yotes, & build your own). Also everyone should build at least one.

How about 1 AR and 3 uppers? ;)

I have been thinking about a new gun and really can't make up my mind how to spend my hard earned dollars.

I have been wanting to try 3-gun for a while now and the only missing piece of gear is a viable AR.

Been looking at JP rifles (nice).

I have also seriously considered having an AR built by a local smith.

I have also been fighting the temptation to have Benny build me a fat free 6" Limited gun.

Been stuck in B class far too long. It's time to kick it up a notch.

Granted, my current gear will get me there.

I just need time and practice.

However, it might not be a bad thing to shake things up a bit with a new blaster.

Decisions, decisions.

Tony

Really quite simple Tony. Call Benny. Place an order for an AR and a 6" Fat Free. Have the AR built first then the pistol. You need a Shotgun with that? :cheers:

I like the way you think Dale.

Just because I bought the AR don't think for a second that I've forgotten about Benny.

I want it all. :cheers:

(I learned that from my wife)

Tony

Edited by 38superman