Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fully processed 223 brass full of surprises

I am really new to loading 223...have loaded lots of other cals of rifle but 223 is a new thing.

Several years ago ...10 or 15 :mellow: I purchased 1000 fully processed 223...nice shiny cool right?

We started shooting 3 gun so I need to load this stuff up...Did not have a 223 trim die for my dillon so I grab this fully done ready to go stuff.

Worked up a load...about 2900fps 55gr with win748...conservitive load but shoots well no pressure signs....cool so I load 900 of them.

Off we go and shoot Johnson 3 gun ...and some practice...collecting the spent brass as we go.

Upon inspection quite a few cases show nasty pressure signs :surprise:

Sooo I start measureing all the remaining unloaded cases......some are at 1.767...1.772 but most are 1.760 :angry2:

Lucky I didnt have a bad day over this. I quess I just got the short ones when I made the initial loadings.

My new trim die arrived today

I loaded this stuff without checking it first...I assumed it was correct....I feel like a total idiot :blink:

Just like all the other rifle stuff I load....223 will NEVER escape the trim die again.

Lucky Jim

Jim, ease up on the pilot of the press. 223 brass is another thing all together. Flog the pilot for not searching, not for loading the brass you had.

223 brass is EXTREMELY different between brands, vintage and so on. Sort that crap, work up a load for each brand and go from there.

Bear in mind that I haven''t loaded a lot of 223 but what I have loaded is a real education.

I am really new to loading 223...have loaded lots of other cals of rifle but 223 is a new thing.

Several years ago ...10 or 15 :mellow: I purchased 1000 fully processed 223...nice shiny cool right?

We started shooting 3 gun so I need to load this stuff up...Did not have a 223 trim die for my dillon so I grab this fully done ready to go stuff.

Worked up a load...about 2900fps 55gr with win748...conservitive load but shoots well no pressure signs....cool so I load 900 of them.

Off we go and shoot Johnson 3 gun ...and some practice...collecting the spent brass as we go.

Upon inspection quite a few cases show nasty pressure signs :surprise:

Sooo I start measureing all the remaining unloaded cases......some are at 1.767...1.772 but most are 1.760 :angry2:

Lucky I didnt have a bad day over this. I quess I just got the short ones when I made the initial loadings.

My new trim die arrived today

I loaded this stuff without checking it first...I assumed it was correct....I feel like a total idiot :blink:

Just like all the other rifle stuff I load....223 will NEVER escape the trim die again.

Lucky Jim

Jim,

I have a couple of buddies who think I'm crazy for trimming ALL my rifle brass. They shoot mainly pistolas and every now and then shoot close range ar type rifles. They load as fast as they can for rifle or pistol, doesn't matter. I then took them out to a 500 meter range. With my iron sights and Lee case length gage and trimmer. I was able to out shoot them easily. No it wasn't just the driver I shot their rifles and ammo too. For 400 yards and longer shot consistancy seems to be a BIG factor. I sort my rifle brass by head stamp as well.

I shot the Johnson match too. What squad were you in? How'd you do? (dumb question, I guess I could look that up)

Not near as well as you did!!

I think I was 4th open?...It was my very first 3 gun match had a great time!!

I know to trim!!...assumed the brass was correct....sure glad i didnt shoot the two VERY long ones I listed above, those would really hurt you!!!!

Those were the longest of the 70 or so I had left....I have to think they were fired more than once and Not trimed ond then mixed with the other.

Poor quality control!!

Soon I will have the setup all complete...I just hate to sort all the brass I have.

Jim

I know to trim!!...assumed the brass was correct....sure glad i didnt shoot the two VERY long ones I listed above, those would really hurt you!!!!

Those were the longest of the 70 or so I had left....I have to think they were fired more than once and Not trimed ond then mixed with the other.

Poor quality control!!

Soon I will have the setup all complete...I just hate to sort all the brass I have.

Jim

Does that mean you're turning down brass donations now? :P

Poor quality control!!

Jim

Sorting the brass is really easy. I have a brass sorter. The sorter even sorts by head stamp!

The only drawback is I have to put up with her when she become a teenager. Her little brother can't read yet so soon I'll have two sorters. :D

My sorters have discovered sorting brass aint no fun...ice cream wont ever work any more <_<

Sooo Im sorting ,polishing, culling today.

set up my new trim die...now I can return the one I had borrowed.

Strange as it seems, I have a few fed nickel once fired....it all measures 1.745 can that be correct?? seems pretty short for once fired :blink:

Jim :D

PS... still accepting charity brass donations....Bart

Edited by GentlemanJim

I trim each and every single piece of 223 brass, each time it is reloaded, I have the Giraud Trimmer and it makes it fast and easy. Not cheap but worth every penny!

Giraud Trimmer

Keep in mind some powders are temperature sensitive, 748 is about middle of the pack, but loads worked up in cooler weather may be too hot when the weather gets hot, and the shooting gets fast, like in a match! Load 748 to moderate pressures.

Edited by g56

Jim,

I think "processed" brass is simply sized and deprimed. Some companies will prime it. I see you got a Dillon trim die. A Giraud or Gracey is faster, and will chamfer the inside and outside of the neck. You might be able to pick up a Gracey cheaper, since a lot of shooters upgrade to a Giraud. Should you get a Gracey, a carbide cutter from Bob Jones is in order. A huge improvement over the original cutters. Trimming shorter than 1.750 is not a problem, as long as it's not too short!

Here's an FYI...

Moe Defina makes/sells a high quality gauge for checking/measuring rifle cases - this gauge confirms oal and if the case is properly sized.

I find these extremely helpful and easy to use.

Mo's Competitor Supplies & Range, Inc. -- MCS Inc., 34 Delmar Dr., Brookfield, Connecticut 06804 ph:203/775-1013

"Dillon .223 Trim die"???

What is this? I am getting ready to order the final stuff for my .223 reloading, so, do I need one of these? What is a head space gauge/die?

Just get the Giraud now if you're planning on picking up your cases.

Edited by EricW

I had this happen to me once too. Pulling 1000 bullets, trimming the cases and reassembling everything again was a good lesson for me. I too trim every case prior to loading now.

• 1 year later...
I had this happen to me once too. Pulling 1000 bullets, trimming the cases and reassembling everything again was a good lesson for me. I too trim every case prior to loading now.

ok so these trimmers are stand alone machines not a die. Do they get set to a particular setting and then just size away?

I trim each and every single piece of 223 brass, each time it is reloaded, I have the Giraud Trimmer and it makes it fast and easy. Not cheap but worth every penny!

Giraud Trimmer

+1 The Giraud is awesome.

I just ran 2500 cases through it yesterday and 5000 the day before, with another 4000 to go today / tomorrow.

(I trim all my brass at once 2x times a year)

Yes, it is expensive, however, worth every penny.

So do you have a "problem" with dillon trimmer or is it just that the Giraud is that much better ???

I have had stuck case issues with the dillon trimmer.. The Giraud is stand alone and is part of a much faster process IMHO.

I size deprime all cases at once, with only the size/deprime die in a tool head in the 650. Then batch them up and head over to the Giraud, trim, chamfer. Then head back to the press to load them (different tool head minus the size die).

rock and roll.