Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling Grips.....

TDean

Yes but the problem I had is that I worked on different grips, some from STI, some from SPS and the material is not the same so different temperatures were required :(

the "stickiest" i worked on was the Glock frame.

The thoughest I found was the translucid grip from SPS.

But I'm planning to give a try to Love2shoot's process.

:)

Thanks for the feedback, glad to be of help. Once you try this type of grip, I think you will be adding it to whatever you can. It is so easy and cheap to do and you can be very creative on how you use it, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with. I am sure you will see it one bas pads, AR's, shotguns soon.

Jeff,

It is a sandblasting grit, I don't know the technical term as I just went to the supply store and dug through a couple of open bags until I found the stuff I though would work best. I guess sandblasting material (I have no idea of what it is composed of) has different color for grits, but just call a local supply company, or a shop that uses it, and I'm sure they could help you figure it out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Loves2Shoot;

could update this to show your finnished grip? the pictures are gone. I'm looking to enlarge my grip a little and this seems a good idea. Also do you have any new advise after 4+ years?

Thanks.

Edited by North

I start by using a dremel tool and file to knock off the molded checkiering, and undercut area were the trigger guard meets the front of the frame.

IMGP2956.jpg

Then I take a soldering iron, and small fan out to my back porch. (burning plastic is not good to inhale).

I start by outlining the areas I'm not going to stiple, like the STI logo.

Then I just start filling in the whole grip. I keep the magwell, MSH, and steel frame close by, to check fit.

Go slow and easy, you don't want to bore through into the area were the magazine resides.

If you screw it up, you're only out about $100 :cheers:

IMGP2960.jpg

IMGP2961.jpg

IMGP2966.jpg

very cool directions and pictures to show how to do this. Best I've seen. How long does it take for a single melt spot. Just curious if it's more of a dab or a press and hold for a couple of seconds. I would imagine how long one holds the iron to the grip affects the outcome.

very cool directions and pictures to show how to do this. Best I've seen. How long does it take for a single melt spot. Just curious if it's more of a dab or a press and hold for a couple of seconds. I would imagine how long one holds the iron to the grip affects the outcome.

Thanks

I guess it somewhat depends of the wattage of the iron. I'm using a small one.

I don't apply much pressure at all, kinda slow and gentle, it starts to melt instantly.

It probably takes about a second to make each crater and really is "like a hot knife through butter".

I watched my local gunsmith (Eddie Jimenea, Houston TX) work on someone's grip. A couple of weeks later I was in Michael's (Arts & Crafts). They had the exact same wood burning kit he was using for $11. I did the grips on my Para. It looks like something out of the Flintstones, but they work very well...solid grip.

A word to the wise. Be very patient. I warped one of the grips by getting it too hot. Do a portion and let it cool.

Eddie is expensive, but he does beautiful work. I paid him to stipple my STI. I'll pay him to do my next gun too.

Then I take a soldering iron, and small fan out to my back porch. (burning plastic is not good to inhale).

I start by outlining the areas I'm not going to stiple, like the STI logo.

Then I just start filling in the whole grip. I keep the magwell, MSH, and steel frame close by, to check fit.

Go slow and easy, you don't want to bore through into the area were the magazine resides.

Derek's got it. My buddy Rob's done a couple of his grips. His only tip is to have a beer or two before hand to help relax and steady the nerves. ;) The above does work VERY well for making the grip just get a good course texture without "damaging" the grip.

I'll be playing with adding some putty to the grip to make it larger and filling my hand more ala Saul Kirsch and then texturing it.

Rich

i was gonna stipple the grips on my Para to match the stipples front and backstrap but left it stock since im changing calibers. here what it looks like with the medium stipple on the front and back strap

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=745399

If you stipple para grips, they turn out awesome; the plastic melts very hard and grippy.