Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Multi-gun Nationals

The issue is producing the awards list for the MD, and that's a manual (or maybe now semi-manual) exercise between ezws and your preferred spreadsheet program.

The only real manual part about the process is simply exporting and then importing the text files into Excel, verifying the column headers, and then copy-paste into a data area for each division. After that - pivot tables, vlookups, and a variety of other formulas take over.

The trick is simply creating all of the whiz-bang calculations off the format of the data to be imported. Once you have data within Excel, you can literally produce just about ANYTHING you want. Heck, I think if you wrote enough formulas, we could probably find coordinates to Jimmy Hoffa's body. :)

Seriously, I do this on a monthly basis for our local club since we track year-end results using two different scoring methods (match points and points earned for type of finish) and that process for all divisions only takes about 10 minutes. Using this variation for the sectional match, I took a little longer since this was the first time to use it and I wanted to take a little extra time to verify the output......but I doubt the whole process took more than 20 - 25 minutes.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just some questions for folks that have shot this match before.

I shoot pistol in B class..but have NO gage on how or where I stack up in rifle or shotgun.

Realisticly what proficientcy level should I expect from other B class shooters in the rifle and shotgun disiplines.

Also will a high level finish in class...bump you to the next class reguardless of your classifier percentages?

Thanks!!

Jim

The only real manual part about the process is simply exporting and then importing the text files into Excel, verifying the column headers, and then copy-paste into a data area for each division. After that - pivot tables, vlookups, and a variety of other formulas take over.

The trick is simply creating all of the whiz-bang calculations off the format of the data to be imported. Once you have data within Excel, you can literally produce just about ANYTHING you want. Heck, I think if you wrote enough formulas, we could probably find coordinates to Jimmy Hoffa's body. :)

Seriously, I do this on a monthly basis for our local club since we track year-end results using two different scoring methods (match points and points earned for type of finish) and that process for all divisions only takes about 10 minutes. Using this variation for the sectional match, I took a little longer since this was the first time to use it and I wanted to take a little extra time to verify the output......but I doubt the whole process took more than 20 - 25 minutes.

If you have a sample macro-driven spreadsheet for an awards script and documentation on how you modify webfile.txt for this exercise, I'd sure like to see it. I used webfile.txt today to do the awards script for the 2007 Area 6, and that's a bit easier than copying/pasting from the generated html pages into excel. Having it all in there with match finals concatenated end to end (biggest hassle was removing stage-specific data), it's pretty simple to just data-filter off the header row (as shown here, looking for all the SSr's) and copy/paste who you want into a separate worksheet which becomes the awards script. I did it in around 45 minutes (6 pistol divisions) including preparing the webfile.txt and getting it into excel, and that was with ignoring some considerations like if so-and-so gets match winner, he doesn't first in his class, and the like. I also didn't do stage winners, and I'm not sure this can help with that, because at the nationals, they want a competitor's name listed with all the stages he/she won (Joe GM won stages 2,3,5,9,13,17,18 for instance) so they can make a single trip up to the podium. Doing it yesterday (we don't do stage winners at Area 6), it was simpler to just print the stage winners reports and copy names out of the top 16 lists (usually where you find them) to somewhere else and type applicable stage numbers after their names. (Have we drifted enough yet?)

(Isn't Hoffa under the Giants' endzone at the Meadowlands?)

post-2179-1190819801.gif

Edited by wgnoyes

I shoot pistol in B class..but have NO gage on how or where I stack up in rifle or shotgun.

Realisticly what proficientcy level should I expect from other B class shooters in the rifle and shotgun disiplines.

Also will a high level finish in class...bump you to the next class reguardless of your classifier percentages?

Thanks!!

Jim

Hey Jim......

I think there is some cross over from pistol to rifle and shotgun, but canbe debatable. As in......even a GM picking up a rifle and shotgun for the first time is not going to perform at his pistol level.

Also, if MG is like a Pistol Match and there are a certain number of GM's shooting in your Division and you finish substantially higher than your classification.....I think you get bumped. HOWEVER......the disclaimer is that I have not been involved with USPSA for a few years now, and can't remember the particulars. you may want to look thru the rule book. Page 21 of the 2004 rule books looks as though it applies......but being a MG match?? who knows, however, it is still a level 3 tournament??? The word in the text that gives it an out is "may"

Edited by TRUBL

OK everyone....

We have changed the squads to ALL DAY shooting.

FEWER squads now have MORE PEOPLE on them for stage reset.

Time blocks are now LONGER allowing prep time for the next stage.

Check the site at USSA MULTIGUN INFO for details.

Michelle is reworking the squad lists for 13 squads. Those lists should be up this afternoon.

Kelly says we are holding the awards AT THE RANGE instead of the hotel. We know many of you made arrangements to leave Tulsa between 5:00 and 7:00 Sunday. Holding awards on the range allows us to get people on their flights back home quicker.

On another note, Armalite called yesterday and they're sending five complete rifles for the prize table. We now have a LOT of really high value prizes up for grabs.

Because it's a multi-gun match, your finish will, in all probability, not change your classification. We use handgun classifications because there aren't any classifiers for rifle and shotgun. Since there are only one or two handgun stages in this match, the match won't be used for classification, unless Dave Thomas knows something I don't.

On another note: there may be some squad schedule changes coming, in response to competitor input to try and get out earlier, and a lower number of entrants. As soon as everything is finalized (today), they'll be posted.

This is a learning experience for the USSA guys, so have some patience. You should have some good stages to shoot, decent food on the range, and be able to get out early enough on Sunday to take care of flight schedules, etc. Last minute changes are not good for anybody, but some things just have to be done. Remember that they are working to accommodate your desires as competitors, and as things fall into place, change is inevitable.

Just a little early warning.

Troy

Edit: I see James beat me to it with the schedule, so there it is. 0800 start time with a projected finish around 1700 or earlier each day, (Friday and Saturday), about 12 per squad, all day shooting, and a decent lunch break. Prizes and awards on the range; early travel plans should be taken care of.

Edited by mactiger

Thanks for the input on my questions!!

Its just that I finished rather poorly at RM3gun...18th in open :(

But I am hoping that competing with B class shooters.. (and the lack of Mountains to run up) my rifle and shotgun skills will serve me a little better.

Thanks again!!

Jim

I just went to the website and could not pull up squad lists, am I being stupid(don't answer that), or is a password needed?

Trapr

Ok, I won't answer. ;) Looks like the squads were pulled because they are being reworked (see post #106). Should be up later today.

Trapr, does that means you are coming?

Lee

I can't think of any place that has gone farther out of it,s way for the shooters than USSA!! great big THANK YOU for changing things so fast to help out the shooters. We now will shoot all day, and it looks like we will be doing the awards on time so folks can get going!! I have never seen such helpful changes!! THANK YOU! USSA What a first class operation!!! Kurt Miller

:cheers: Thank you SOOOOO much USSA! I'm feeling so much better about having this be a fun vacation!

You guys are awesome, and thanks for whipping it into shape with all the changes so quickly!

Did I mention you are awesome?

I am now way psyched! (possibly psycho, but that's another topic :blink: )

Thanks to Phil and Chaera, Michelle and all the other people I don't know about who worked to hard to make this come together! Yeah!

Denise

Edited by Benelli Chick

OOOhOOO we are on the COOLEST squad you can GET!!!!!! :cheers:

This match will be the most fun you can have with out being arrested :goof:

Jim :D

What makes you think Ty and I can't get arrested :devil:

All I can say is hang on to your ass cuz we are gonna stand on it :surprise:

Thanks!!

Jim

jim-i've shot 5 3gun/multigun nationals. one bit of advice (ok, maybe two).

one-have a blast-3 gun is the greatest.

two-work on long range rifle, transitions betweens guns, and of course, LOADING YOUR SHOTGUN.

and give mactiger an earfull

If you have a sample macro-driven spreadsheet for an awards script and documentation on how you modify webfile.txt for this exercise, I'd sure like to see it.

Hey Bill,

I just forwarded the file with the data I used to write the spreadsheet. Hopefully that will give you some ideas as to how to make something work for a 3-gun version.

Jim, I hope they cant move you up in pistol for doing good in three gun. I am a B class shooter in pistol and until the 3 gun develops more, I'm shooting with you (not open). If they ever do find a way to classify three gun I would like to, with all three.

Craig, if your offer still stands, that alone might get us arrested in OK. :wub:

To USSA and all those who have listened and done an outstanding job of making changes to accomodate us shooters (and bitten holes in your lips), a huge THANK YOU. I hope our actions at the match (both on and off the stages) can somehow prove to you how much we appreciate you hard work. :bow:

Thanks for all of the comments...good and bad. They are definitely helping us make this match a success, albeit a delayed one!

As many of you know, the squads and squad schedule have been put out. We will be finishing up last minute squad requests this week, as long as it doesn't interfere with others' earlier requests.

Sorry for the delays and other issues. It's been quite busy for us lately, and the European Championships couldn't have been at a worse time! I was out of touch all last week.

We're back on track, and expecting a great match, and a pretty decent prize table. Over 20 guns and several uppers thus far.

Just to answer a few questions I've collected during 12 days in rural southern France:

1. Heavy Metal will have its own prize table

2. There is still room for more shooters.

3. There will be a sight in range at North Carbine (up to 100 yards) open October 4th from 12:00-5:00pm

4. Some RO's & Staff will be shooting the stages all day on the 4th. You are welcome to walk on the stages, as long as there are no staff shooting them, AND no activators are touched.

5. YES, we will again have "range hostesses" on the range selling water, Gatorade, etc.

6. We cannot allow golf carts, atv, or other electric/motorized vehicles on the range with exception to match staff or medical issues (case by case).

7. Your Heavy Metal 44 or larger caliber pistol can have 10 rounds in the magazines, and shotguns are pump only.

8. YES, there will be food available at the range. Backyard Burgers will be there again, serving lunch on Oct 5-7.

9. Finally, NOOOO it's NOT GOING TO RAIN! I don't care what weather.com says!

If you have any other questions, concerns, etc. please contact me at philstrader@usshootingacademy.com. I check that a heck of a lot more than here.

If you have any late squad requests, we will TRY to accommodate you, but at this point I can't make any guarantees.

I hope everyone enjoys this year's Multi-gun Nationals. We are certainly learning quickly how much work goes into putting on a world class event. Thanks for everyone's patience and much welcomed critiques/praises.

Sincerely,

Phil Strader