Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect Beer Discovery

AikiDale

I was recently having a meal with some fellow shooters after a match.

I ordered my usual brand of beer, but the waiter mistakenly brought me a Michelob Amber Bock.

If not for his mistake I probably never would have tried it, but it has now become my preferred beer.

Goes down pretty well from a frosty mug after a hot day at the range. :cheers:

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Man, I don't see how you all drink beer. I don't think a nastier concoction has ever been created. Now, Bourbon. There is a heavenly beverage that is actually fit for human consumption.

Anyway, had dinner at the Church Brewery in Pittsburgh last night. The guys with me thought the beer was pretty good.

I will not turn down bourbon. But I prefer beer.

Not that nasty swill that people drink but good beer. Beer is a lot like bourbon in some ways. You can buy the cheap crap and well thats what a lot of people drink. Once you find out that something better exists you try it. As you begin to drink the better drinks the cheap stuff never really gets drank often. I know a lot of people that drink beer that costs $12 or so a case, that is like drinking nasty water. Then you have good beers that start at around $24 a case.

Many people don't like bourbon, because they have only tried cheap bourbon. But once you try something good it is very different.

Sam Adams brewery has come oout with one of it's specialty beers, a German Black beer! It is almost as good as the one I brew at home and I highly recomend it to one and all. It isn't as heavy as Guiness, nor as hopped as a porter, but the malt flavor is great. Black beer is usually only brewed in the autum months and only in a very select few places in Bavaria, so I was darn glad to find it and have it taste about the same as it does in Germany,and at home.

That sounds really good. I am going to have to find some of that.

Checked Sam Adams website, it is a brewmaster's collection beer, so should be available year round.

That is the one thing I dislike about summer. Many of the limited batch beer tend to be lighter than I like in color and in flavor. I spend a lot of time at a restaraunt called DuClaw that is a brewery also. Their last good one was in April they released enigma which is pretty amazing. Since then its been downhill.

Edited to add research.

Edited by Kingman

Samuel Adams is now being brewed at the former Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, PA.

Alas, Rolling Rock has left our town, having been sold to AB. The pure mountain spring water of Newark NJ is its main ingredient now....

Samuel Adams is now being brewed at the former Latrobe Brewing Company in Latrobe, PA.

Alas, Rolling Rock has left our town, having been sold to AB. The pure mountain spring water of Newark NJ is its main ingredient now....

Dang! I grew up (sorta) on Rolling Rock pony bottles. It's a shame it's no longer made in Latrobe. Is nothing sacred?

Just about any beer named "Porter" is damn fine. Although, I prefer the American variety rather than the English (I know...I know).

Dale, if you can find it, try Bell's (Kalamazoo Brewing Company, MI) Porter. I was lucky enough to have it from the tap at the brewery and it was one of those "...man, I didn't know they could put sex in a glass." type of moments.

JFlowers - if you can find it, try and pick up a bottle or two of Dogfishhead 120 Minute IPA. The only way I can describe it other than "huge" is that it reminded me of bourbon with it's malt profile. It's about as strong, too. :huh:

While in Alaska I happened upon

Midnight Sun Arctic Rhino Coffee Porter

Now if I can find a distributor it will replace Guinness as my favorite.

:cheers:

I ain't never heard'a no Arctic Rhino! :)

Alaska Brewing makes an interesting Smoked Porter.....have you tried that?