Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GASOLINE PRICES ARE KILLING ME

Round_Gun_Shooter

I feel for ya :( . Gas prices are included in my shooting budget and I wasn't expecting prices to go up stoopid high :angry: . A cheap car that gets 40 mpg would be nice. A Ford Festiva perhaps -_-

A cheap car that gets 40 mpg would be nice. A Ford Festiva perhaps -_-

I hear ya Yoshidaex! With a Civic and a Miata as our family cars, we aren't feeling the pain - though the Miata is not exactly the ideal road trip car.

What are you paying? A $1.25/gal?

Don't feel so bad, I paid $1.20/litre (about $4USD/gal).

FWIW A litre is about 1US quart.

The cheapest I've ever paid for gas was .25 cents/gal. Texas 1971.

What are you paying? A $1.25/gal?

Don't feel so bad, I paid $1.20/litre (about $4USD/gal).

FWIW A litre is about 1US quart.

The cheapest I've ever paid for gas was .25 cents/gal. Texas 1971.

Average is $3.05. Tourist area so prices are high plus I am a contractor so I have to use a full size truck. Cheap gas right now is $2.99 a gallon :angry2:

As far as a shooting budget, that is gone now. Looks Like I am taking up Gallery Bulls Eye. :blink:

Yeah Mike, I need to track it as a business deduction. Joys of being self employed. I always joke about being a sponsored shooter. My boss pays for gas, lodging, ammo, guns, food and everything else. He just decided yesterday to cut my gas budget.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Work and play, just paid $800 for the month. I won't be traveling past my local club for some time :angry2:
gas is killing everybody, and it's also strangling our economy. That fuel cost runs through every single thing we buy and the inflation is already taking off.

Too bad we can't get people to conserve.

Maybe when it's $10/gallon?

It's still $3.30/gal here, but that's DOWN from $3.60 or so earlier this year. Still and all, that's about $1.50/gal MORE than what I want to pay...!!! :angry2: Gah, I'm practically paralyzed with having to count every mile and put things off to cluster errands--let alone pleasure drives or taking care of things on my photo list. It's making it hard to be/stay in business. Jeez...

Had a thought today, was in the local hardware store and they love the high gas prices, business is booming, nearest Lowes or Homedepot is 35 miles or a 20 minute fairy ride plus 10 miles,,,, Hummmm high gas prices may be good for small town economies.

You know one thing that it is going to hurt and eventually they may get involved with. High dollar SUV sales are hurting. Enough of that maybe the auto makers will get involved.

In MD our new governor believes that we should be paying around $4 a gallon to conserve, and he has said that even. So he is going to increase taxes on it so that the state does not have a deficit for buying gas for state vehicles. How about that. They get us to pay for their gas and our gas.

High dollar SUV sales are hurting. Enough of that maybe the auto makers will get involved.

Hahaha- good one Bob! Detroit does not give a rat's ass about building fuel efficient or affordable vehicles and they went to D.C. this year to lobby congress NOT to increase fuel standards - just as they do every year. Detroit deserves what it gets (except they don't deserve legislative "protection"). Let the Mobsters - er, I meant teamsters/UAW work like the rest of us based on their education amd not congressional handouts. And no surprise to heat that M.O.M. (Martin O'Malley - MD's new gov) proposed tax increases to help you live better - yet another predictable move by the nanny state. We used to be a country of inovators and inventers. Now we are just a bunch of whiners. Sad.

Work and play, just paid $800 for the month. I won't be traveling past my local club for some time :angry2:
gas is killing everybody, and it's also strangling our economy. That fuel cost runs through every single thing we buy and the inflation is already taking off.

Not a rebuttal just something else to think about - Too bad we can't drill for oil right here at home and build some new refineries so that when there is a problem with one another one can pick up the slack! :angry2:

Not a rebuttal just something else to think about - Too bad we can't drill for oil right here at home and build some new refineries so that when there is a problem with one another one can pick up the slack! :angry2:

It's too bad the global economy is such that there are vast populations starting to recognize a way of living we -- as United State citizens -- have basically monopolized for the last 100 years or so. <shrug>

We're 5% of the global population, yet use 25% of the energy -- not 'cause we're especially wanton, or lazy, but because 80% of our citizens live in comparative wealth. When folks in China start driving SUV's, too, well...ya' ain't seen nothing yet. :)

Drill for more oil, no doubt. Build more refineries (be assured, both will be subsidized by taxpayers, and fed from the corporate welfare teat)but...do you think we'd really be the only customer? Or entitled to special pricing, from, uh, a sense of heretofore misplaced patriotism, by the oil co.'s?

As far as tax affecting price, sure. It's too heavily taxed. Tell your State and Federal representatives to quit spending so much money. They listen really, really well. :)

And yes -- I hate the high prices, too, and I hate that my truck get 18mpg, but is still cheaper to drive than buying a 3rd (!) car that's significantly more fuel efficient.

Edited by boo radley

Oh, I know. I drive a truck but am like oh well my choice. But I know where the big 3 profit lies.

MOM is a pain in my arse.

Edited to take out cussing.

Edited by Kingman

The day someone makes a 4WD 3/4ton pickup that gets good mileage, I will own one. Until then, I am stuck with the prices that really hurt my bottom line. I need the truck to get my gear to the jobs. It is the shooting that will be curtailed not my work. Need to make the money for my other HATE//$1350 a month for health insurance :angry:

How much it is nowadays in USA? $2/gallon, $3/gallon?

I'd drive a 4 ton truck with those prices too, coming from 1.35€/l = $1.86/l = $7.05 / gallon.

Good example - gas here IS super cheap. And $7.05 proves a modern economy can survive much higher prices. We just like to whine - which is a sad comment on the state of the USA. I hope that gas in the US goes up to $5 a gallon - nothing short of that would move some of the fat arse single-passenger SUV drivers off the D.C. beltway & into something a little more reasonable. Can't see squat around those things & none of drivers seem competent (nor able to put down their cell phones).

I believe we have many wells here in the US that are "capped off" because they don't become "profitable enough" to pump until crude hits about $60 - $70. Until then, it's cheaper to import.

As for more refineries? Yes, the oil companies should have been building them except they might have noticed:

1) Building more refineries costs them $$$

2) Having more refineries removes their #1 excuse for gouging on price

Doesn't take an MBA in economics to see why they are not building new refineries.

Edited by bountyhunter