Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder selection for 40 minor & Precision bullets

I'm trying to find the right powder that would work well as a minor load using 185 Precision bullets in 40SW.

Tried Clays and the accuracy isn't there. Currently using TG but I have issues with the smoke, lots of smoke. I talked with Dave Long from Precision and he thinks the TG may be too hot as a minor load burning into the coating at the bullet base causing smoke. The weapon is fine - no signs of lead fouling - so that's not an issue.

How do I select a powder from here? Do I look at the burn rate chart and select a powder that is not as hot as TG (burn rate - 12) and try it?

Should I try WST (burn rate - 20th) or Universal Clays(burn rate-36) or something in between? Any thoughts on powder to try?

Current TG load is Primer:WSP, 4.0gr TG, 185 gr Precision bullet, OAL 1.125 making 150 PF out of my MP40 (4.25" barrel)

4.0 gr TG is the accuracy sweet spot for my weapon. If I changed OAL to 1.130 would that help?

Edited by Throwin Lead

I think that the Clays family is generally a bit smoky, regardless of bullet used. I use Clays in .45 and Universal Clays in .40 with FMJ or coated bullets and the smoke doesn't really bother me. IIRC, N320 was less smoky, but I'm too cheap to buy it.

you may try Vihta Vuori (sp?) powder a try. A bit on the pricey side but very clean burning. I'm cheap so I just live with the filth and smoke from H company powders.

WST is a fine powder for the 40.

My preference is WSF. Both WST and WSF are cost effective, available, and clean burning.

I like WSF for it is a little slower than WST but the I also tend to run 200 grain bullets.

Either WSF or WST are fine.

I load 4.9 gr. VV340, 185 precision OAL. 1.165, I don't see any smoke at all, and its very accurate out of an 5in.EDGE

Price really isn't that bad, I found 4lbs.keg for $98,I like it so that little bit of price difference is no big deal.

Hay Throwin Lead.

I don't no what I was thinking, your looking for minor loads

The load I gave VV340 makes major 171PF sorry about that,

i hope this didn't mess you up.

KZ

• 1 year later...
I'm trying to find the right powder that would work well as a minor load using 185 Precision bullets in 40SW.

Tried Clays and the accuracy isn't there. Currently using TG but I have issues with the smoke, lots of smoke. I talked with Dave Long from Precision and he thinks the TG may be too hot as a minor load burning into the coating at the bullet base causing smoke. The weapon is fine - no signs of lead fouling - so that's not an issue.

How do I select a powder from here? Do I look at the burn rate chart and select a powder that is not as hot as TG (burn rate - 12) and try it?

Should I try WST (burn rate - 20th) or Universal Clays(burn rate-36) or something in between? Any thoughts on powder to try?

Current TG load is Primer:WSP, 4.0gr TG, 185 gr Precision bullet, OAL 1.125 making 150 PF out of my MP40 (4.25" barrel)

4.0 gr TG is the accuracy sweet spot for my weapon. If I changed OAL to 1.130 would that help?

No matter what powder you select, you won't get away from the smoke with a lead or moly bullet. Use a Total metal jacket, Jacketed hollow point, or plated bullet to solve the smoke problem. Whatever bullet you choose, you don't want any exposed lead at the base of the bullet. The smoke is coming from the lube and lead being vaporized/burned. I use tg combined with plated bullets in my 40 loads and have no smoke, whatsoever. Its easy to spot shooters using lead or moly bullets cause all the smoke when they shoot. It's not the powder. Stick with the tg, change the bullet.

Jason

A16273

I have little to no experience with 40 minor, but from what I found with 9mm minor precisions your best bets for cutting down the smoke will probably be Solo 1000, WST, and WSF. I would even consider tinkering around with Solo 1250 and see what you can see too. The VV's would probably be decent also, but definately more expensive.

40 Major, I had pretty decent luck with Universal Clays and keeping the smoke to an acceptable level, but never tried it with a minor pf load.

Since posting this topic last year I have tried both WST and Solo 1000. I liked them both but chose on WST as it was available to buy in bulk in my area. The smoke factor is less than with TG, but there is still some smoke. Both powders work well with cast lead bullets as well.

The load I use is 3.5 gn of WST, WSP primer, OAL 1.135 using a 180 gn bullet (Masterblaster or cast). That load makes a consistent 135 PF out of my M&P.

When I was testing with Solo 1000 I found that the charge weight relationship to WST was similar to one another. IIRC the same load using S1000 made about the same PF.

Since posting this topic last year I have tried both WST and Solo 1000. I liked them both but chose on WST as it was available to buy in bulk in my area. The smoke factor is less than with TG, but there is still some smoke. Both powders work well with cast lead bullets as well.

The load I use is 3.5 gn of WST, WSP primer, OAL 1.135 using a 180 gn bullet (Masterblaster or cast). That load makes a consistent 135 PF out of my M&P.

When I was testing with Solo 1000 I found that the charge weight relationship to WST was similar to one another. IIRC the same load using S1000 made about the same PF.

If solo 1000 had been available in bulk would you have chosen it, or were the two pretty equal? I am having good luck with solo 1000 in 40, but I'm finding it has a little too much volume to make minor with some bullets in 9mm. At least through my 9mm 2011.