Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G22 For Limited?

Micah

I have been kicking around a though here, please bare with me...

Being competitive with a G22 in Limited.

You have a 3rd gen G22, and you're ready to clean up the competition! I truly believe in the Indian, and not the arrow...but to remain competitive, you have your G22 suited up with a heavy Dawson magwell, tungsten guiderod, and obviously great basepads.

My train of thought is that, as opposed to the longer G35/24, this is a shorter, more compact pistol. It's center of gravity is more focused, as opposed to a lesser axis than with its longer manifestations.

Your thoughts?

G22 was the first pistol I ever bought and I still shoot it in competition and carry it every day. The general belief is that a G22 is faster in transitions but not as accurate as a G35 which is more accurate and slower target to target. I'm not completely sure about that, I think its more about which "feels" better to you.....its less than an inch difference between the two.

i use a g22 in ipsc standard division, i just put on some weights like a brass magwell, tungsten guide rod and the jentra front weight, plus some trigger tuning and arredondo +3's. for carry i take the magwell and front weight off and use stock mags, i use sevigny carry sights btw, they're great even in competition use. for home defense i slap on a glock flashlight.....hehe a 3 in 1 gun :cheers:

I truly believe in the Indian, and not the arrow....

My train of thought is that, as opposed to the longer G35/24, this is a shorter, more compact pistol. It's center of gravity is more focused, as opposed to a lesser axis than with its longer manifestations.

I think you answered your own question already ---- now go shoot that blaster. There are some skilled shooters here who prefer the 22 to the 35; so you won't be alone.....

I sold off my 17 ---- for whatever reason I shoot the different sized guns from best to worst in this order: 34/26/19/17.......

If reloading those stubby little 10 rounders didn't suck so bad, I'd be shooting the 26 in more matches....

Maybe I should put my post in the smartass thread...

Your thoughts?

Thoughts (in order):

1. <yawn> :yawn:

2. chuckle :lol:

3. wtf :wacko:

If you are really into putting all that stuff on the gun to make it "shoot better"... :rolleyes: ...then a G35 will allow for a longer tungsten guide rod and also provide a bit more weight out front due to the longer barrel. Plus...that sight radius thing.

I don't have any clue by what is meant by a "more focused" center of gravity? :surprise: I'd think that, as long as you can move the gun around, you'd tie a brick onto the front end of it if you could...to keep the muzzle down. (Kinda like those weights on the end of Open guns ;) )

The CG of a Limited Glock is going to have to be managed by the shooter (better grip and stance) regardless. You are starting with a 22-24oz gun. The extended mag loaded with 20 rounds of 40 is going to be shifting the CG around anyway, as it empties out. Shooting the Glock is more...active...dynamic...etc.

I don't buy into the 'lighter gun transitions better' stuff. I think that was BS from day 1. The first I read of it was when Dawson came out with a shoter open gun...and TJ was shooting Dawson's stuff. Dawson told TJ it swung easier. TJ said, at first, he'd swing past target with it. Then, once the timing was learned, he...of course...loved it. (I'm not picking on Dawson or TJ....and I may not have the details right...those are just the 1st recollections that I have from an article in Front Sight.)

Anyway...Anderson, Fadorsen, Seevers...whoever... They all transition as fast as I do, and they are shooting a gun that starts out nearly twice as heavy, then they add about 3x as much ammo into the gun. Those boat anchors don't hurt their transitions any.

I do gravitate toward the G34/35 sized guns, but I shot a G22 for a bit (a year or so ago...I think, in Prod) and liked it just fine. I shoot a G17 from time to time, and do well with it.

Bottom line...go with what you like. (And, know that there are a ton of police trade-in G22's around...for cheap.)

We could talk about the pros and cons until we turned blue, but I think we'd just be looking to rationalize/support the decision that we wanted to make. :excl:

Right on Flex...finally some one sums it all up :cheers: ... I think we over think things in our spare time as we obsess with this sport...Get the fundamentals right and you could shoot anything TJ could beat most of us with any crappy gun you could think up + a five pound trigger added to it.

I shoot light guns better. Adding all that crap to the gun would defeat what I feel is one of the biggest pluses for the Glock, they are LIGHT. I wish I could get an S_I that light......

Grip tape, sights, and such? Yeah, for sure. Tungsten and steel and whatever? No thank you, if they were free I would sell them and buy stuff that keeps the gun light.

Light guns do everything heavy guns do, only faster, for me.

I have to say I REALLY like my 24, it is just so dang easy to shoot. A good friend of mine just gave up using is 34 because he was giving up too many points shooting minor. His plan at first was to get a 35 but he tried a 35 and a 24 side by side and went with the 24 because of the extra weight out front, the longer sight radius, and it was just so much easier to shoot.

All of that said, there is no reason why you can't be very competitive with a 22. Good sight's, the tungston guide rod, the heavy mag well, your skill, if you like it and can shoot it well you are not giving up anything.

Thank you to everyone that has given their input. Although I am well aware that I would need to change my license plates if I cross over, I know that no matter what Glock I choose, it will be the right one. I'm not some crazy, mouth-breathing Glock enthusiast, rather I firmly believe that proper technique and form overcome 90% of the game.

The reality is that I am looking for the least expensive alternative to shooting MAJOR at matches...and those police trade-ins are rather on the cheap!

***though I would have to paint it blue :)

Right on Flex...finally some one sums it all up :cheers: ... I think we over think things in our spare time as we obsess with this sport...Get the fundamentals right and you could shoot anything TJ could beat most of us with any crappy gun you could think up + a five pound trigger added to it.

I fully agree. I feel that I am beating a dead horse, but I'll say it again:

It is the shooter, and not the gun.

How many people do you know bought a hoopdy pistola, shot for a month longer, and faded off into the sunset?

I know alot.

NOTHING substitutes proper technique.

Nothing. Not ever.

I guess I shouldn't shoot any classifiers when I get my open glock then until I'm better than C class and then I can say it was the gun and not me. :) or something like that. :ph34r:

I've shot a G22 in Limited for the past year or so, but I picked up a G24 and shot it for the first time last weekend. So far, I like it! The G22 seems to move and point well on closer targets, but I really dig the longer sight radius on the longer shots. I'd been using 200gr. bullets in the G22, but I might have to switch to a lighter bullet in the longer gun. I'm not sure I like the heavy bullet with the long slide - seems like the slide could use a little speeding up. Personally, I thought it felt too awkward to draw the long slide out of a regular holster, so I got a Ghost. The G24 felt like I was drawing a broad sword from my kydex holster. ;) I can't say I felt disadvantaged with a G22, I just wanted to play with a longer sight radius for a while.

Glocks are cool, collect 'em all. :)

Hello; I would shoot the G22 since the sight radius is the same as a 5" 1911. I have shot a G35 and didn't like the muzzle flip. A better shooter than me could get used to it quickly or use a 6" 2011 as well. I also like the fact that I have an old LE pistol and don't have much money invested in it. I would not rule out the G22 for limited. As they say try it you may like it ;-). Thanks, Eric

I made M in LTD shooting a G22. I now shoot a G35 (although I'm taking 2007 off from shooting), but only because it's easier to make Major with it than the G22.

I actually like the G22 better. I like the shorter slide and shorter sight radius. YMMV.