Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this a good gun

ffl

a friend of mine has either argentina or brazillin army or police (CRS) S & W 45 ACP revolver. The side plate says model of 1937?? could this be made into a competition gun with moon clips etc. I have not taken the gun apart and have only seen it once. he is asking a very low price for it.

any ideas??

david

a friend of mine has either argentina or brazillin army or police (CRS) S & W 45 ACP revolver. The side plate says model of 1937?? could this be made into a competition gun with moon clips etc. I have not taken the gun apart and have only seen it once. he is asking a very low price for it.

any ideas??

david

It could be Dave, that is the very gun Allison used to win the Pan Am last summer. His was a good solid gun and he got a new barrel and worked on the action. If the price is right, go for it; or buy it and give it to me. my birthday is coming up :wub:

any ideas??

david

It could be Dave, that is the very gun Allison used to win the Pan Am last summer. His was a good solid gun and he got a new barrel and worked on the action. If the price is right, go for it; or buy it and give it to me. my birthday is coming up :wub:

I will call him and check it out. He has shot it and he likes it. he just works nights and started to riding motorcycles again and is selling some of his guns.

When I get it I will have a more detailed report on it.

david

ps. It was great socializing and shooting with you at the IRC you need to come to tulsa for the nationals and we can get togather again with carmoney, doug, bubber, walt, dave and the rest of the round gun shooters.

A Brazillian 1917?

This gun that was imported to Brazil?

pix1247131281.jpg

I think it is 1937 but I could be wrong

I will check it out when he brings it by

Sweeney will probably beat me to it, but here are a coupl'a things to keep in mind on the '17s and '37s:

(1) They have awful stock sights, pretty much unshootable for competition unless you're going to replace them, which will require millwork and perhaps welding.

(2) They have the old-style "long action" trigger pull, and they use different internal parts, which although available on the secondary market, cannot be purchased from the factory any more.

(3) The stock barrels are generally not very accurate with cast bullets.

I won one of these in the 8-pin event at Second Chance in 1989 or 1990, played with the action some, but wound up relegating it to a "car trunk" gun. They're fun beaters to fool around with, but I would not recommend trying to turn one into a serious competition gun. Better off starting with a nice used 25-2 or 625. Or so it seems to me! :)

he is asking 200.00 and my wife just called and said he brought it by the house.

Actually she said that our daughter said there is a man at the door with a motorcycle helmet and a gun. My wife just about retrieved hers until she figured out who it was. :surprise:

will let you know tomorrow about it an post pictures

david

the gun has had a new front sight and a rear target sight put on it.

aside from the 27lb trigger it is in pretty good shape

already set up for moons

it does need a new blue job will post pics tomorrow

Man the pix look like one of my favorite guns in my youth. It was a .455 Webley (stamped on the barrel but can't remember if it was a colt or S&W), reamed out to accept .45 Colts. Though it split every 4th case even with factory loads, it shot more accurate than my M28. Or so it seemed, cause the frogs I was plinking at hardly reacted to the Magnum, but that old 250 grain .45 slug would blow'em 50' into the air.

Ahh, the memories of youth. I'd love to find a $200 .45 trunk gun.

Hello,

I'm sorry Cliff but I'm in Brasilia (again) for a Sniper School at our Federal Police.

I use a 1937 model in my IPSC matches since 2000 without problems. It works well but you'll need to work a lot on it: new barrel, new fronth and rear sights, etc. It's a good option down here where a 625 could cost about USD 2000.00 ( :o ). It's not a good option when you can buy a modern gun. I think that it's easier, for example, to work on the trigger of a 625.

Since I'm not at home I can't post a picture right now. If you guys want, I can post my gun's picture when I get home (on June 30rd).

I hope this information helps.

See you!

David - Check to make sure the bore is in good shape. If it is, for $200 it's a good deal, especially since it already has had money thrown at it for the sights. It looks like it may be an old bullseye gun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like a great gun to find out if you like to shoot revo IPSC. and for $200, hard to beat.

S&W made all the M-1917s they'd ever need in 1917 & 1918. They made a few commercial guns after that, and then tooled up to make a batch for Brazil in 1937.

While the barrel threads match, and the grip frame is the same, the internals are all slightly different. So if anything breaks, you'll be cruising the Numrich site for parts, and a 'smith who understands the old long action.

I took my Second Chance M-1937, installed a snubbie bull barrel, round-butted it and had it hard-chromed as a truck gun. With +P 230's it is a handful, but one look down that big bore scares off even Detroit bad boys.

I took my Second Chance M-1937, installed a snubbie bull barrel, round-butted it and had it hard-chromed as a truck gun. With +P 230's it is a handful, but one look down that big bore scares off even Detroit bad boys.

I have a beater 1937 enroute and have the same plans for it. They make a sweet belly gun. I won't hardchrome mine though-too fancy for me :mellow:

Dave

So if anything breaks, you'll be cruising the Numrich site for parts, and a 'smith who understands the old long action.

Even though I am not a smith but just a shooter fond of working on my own tools of the trade, I bought some spare parts from Numrich when waiting for delivery of my 1917/1937. Always nice to have some in the box before anything breaks.

I dissected mine and found it did not differ that much from a standard "short action". I then decided to give it some trigger work to see if it was "smoothable". Ended up with a pretty good trigger pull (heaven compared to the original) and a bobbed hammer. After that I widened and deepened the rear sight and undercut the front sight. The grips were swapped to my "whiz-o-weird-grip". Chamfered the cylinder and smoothed the trigger.

It will be my main gun for IPSC RSD this coming season as it felt as a improvement compared to my 29-3 used last season. Shootability was nice and also quite naturally pointing in the right direction when drawing from GRU. At first, point of impact was a bit low and left but that straightened out with the help of a file. The down side this far is the "snappyness" at PF 180 and above. A very firm grip with support hand is of utmost importance.